How do buffet restaurants make any money?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: LordJezo
Originally posted by: werk
Originally posted by: dnetmhz
Originally posted by: Whisper
Cheap food. Lots and lots of cheap food.

They just go into it with the hope that you're coming to an all you can eat buffet hungry enough not to notice the quality of the meal.

The two buffets I've been to that used "good" food were around $40/person.

I've never heard buffet and "good food" used in the same sentence before .....interesting ;)

Good buffet.

Better buffet

Best Buffet

DnetMHZ

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Kevin

They just go into it with the hope that you're coming to an all you can eat buffet hungry enough not to notice the quality of the meal.

I've never heard buffet and "good food" used in the same sentence before .....interesting ;)

Go to brunch at the Molly Pitcher Inn in Redbank. I absolutely despise buffets but their brunch on Sunday is out of this world. Reservations used to be like weeks in advance but its worth it. I believe its around $40, maybe more/less...

Last time I was there for breakfast (as a kid, many years ago) .. they told me they didn't have any milk.. found that odd for a Hotel/Restaurant

usualuse

Jul 28, 2003
Buffet is a kind of restaurant.If it's good then it pays off(i like indian food f.ex.)
It's a strange question,i think.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Actually, they serve cheap food and dress it up. Most of an all you can eat buffet's food consists of starchy foods (potato/rice/bean items/breads) because they're very inexpensive. Saladbars are also big because a fully decked out salad costs maybe $.30 in ingredients (with dressing being the most expensive). Then they many have some type of veggies (usually corn or greenbeans), and meats in sauce or gravy (to stretch it out). Main courses (meats) usually involve some kind of chicken, and if beef is used, it's usually sirloin (the cheapest of the high grade beef cuts). Chinese food is inexpensive all around, so they can stuff you with $1.50 worth of ingredients...that's why even the slowest Chinese places stay open :)

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001

Go to brunch at the Molly Pitcher Inn in Redbank. I absolutely despise buffets but their brunch on Sunday is out of this world. Reservations used to be like weeks in advance but its worth it. I believe its around $40, maybe more/less...

Last time I was there for breakfast (as a kid, many years ago) .. they told me they didn't have any milk.. found that odd for a Hotel/Restaurant

How can they not have milk? How do they make pancakes?

ZOXXO

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2003
Originally posted by: PatboyX
Originally posted by: Whisper Cheap food. Lots and lots of cheap food. They just go into it with the hope that you're coming to an all you can eat buffet hungry enough not to notice the quality of the meal. The two buffets I've been to that used "good" food were around $40/person.
Good buffet.
Better buffet
Best Buffet

Jimmy Buffet

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000

Good buffet.

Better buffet

Best Buffet
Oh yeah, I'm sure some barge in Atlantic City with a New Orleans theme has better food than Court of Two Sisters.
rolleye.gif

DnetMHZ

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: djheater

puzzles me to this very day ;)

TheCorm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2000
Plus, it's like how some support lines make money.....some people will use the support line a lot others hardly at all or not at all yet all pay. So likewise in a buffet, people who eat little pay for people who eat loads essentially.

If the buffet is suddenly visited by a klump-esque family and friends....then they are in trouble.

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
Originally posted by: djheater

puzzles me to this very day ;)

Hmm, Prime Rib but no milk...

astralnaut

Dec 2, 2002

Good buffet.

Better buffet

Best Buffet
Oh yeah, I'm sure some barge in Atlantic City with a New Orleans theme has better food than Court of Two Sisters.
rolleye.gif

All your buffets are belong to these guys: Best buffet hands down

CarlKillerMiller

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2003
Has anyone ever been to that Todai seafood buffet before?

I dunno, the price is pretty high for a buffet, and I'm not so sure about the seafood buffet concept.

kindest

Platinum Member
Dec 15, 2001
they way portions are given in american just a regular entree is a damn buffet to me.

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: ZOXXO
Originally posted by: Whisper Cheap food. Lots and lots of cheap food. They just go into it with the hope that you're coming to an all you can eat buffet hungry enough not to notice the quality of the meal. The two buffets I've been to that used "good" food were around $40/person.
Good buffet.
Better buffet
Best Buffet

<a class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.margaritaville.com/" target=blank>Jimmy Buffet</A>

Damn you! You stole my line! :D

Rob

Dudd

Platinum Member
Aug 3, 2001
Anyone ever been to Sunday brunch at the Plaza in New York? Now that is a buffet. Beef tenderloin, shrimp, chicken, dozens of different kinds of cake. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

kmac1914

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2002

Good buffet.

Hmm, I had never heard of this place before. I may have to check this out when i get back up to NO when school starts....Thanks, werk.

There really aren't any good places like that in baton rouge, sadly.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Riprorin
I ate dinner at a bunch of Indian restaurants in TO for $8.99 when I was there recently. How do they make any money?

Low labor costs because of self service, limited menus, they do a large volume business, and most people do not eat that much in one setting.

stuman19

Jul 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Riprorin
I ate dinner at a bunch of Indian restaurants in TO for $8.99 when I was there recently. How do they make any money?

My father owns a Happy Joe's Pizza and Ice Cream Parlor and we have a great buffet. Recently the prices on a lot of the products to make a pizza went up (expecially cheese) the cost of the buffet went up 0.50 to $6.00. And I would have to say that they make money off of bulk. They probably make $4.00 of profit off of that $6.00 and maybe take out like an extra 0.30 to figure in labor or something. They make it, trust me just on bulk of sale. I work there with him.....while I attend college...not a lifer!

See where I work....

Stu

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
yup, cheap fattening, filling food. most people can't eat their moneys worth of that kind of food, not that you'd want to, that would seriously be bad for you.

i avoid buffets. i'd rather pay for small amount fo quality, then a ton of tv dinner like food.