How did you vote?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Who did you vote for?

• Obama

• Romney

• Johnson

• Wrote in Ron Paul or other name

• Something else, or didn't vote.

Results are only viewable after voting.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I have intentionally avoided political advertising over the course of the past 8+ months; it sickens me. And yet, shockingly, I still have some idea of what to expect from Obama, having lived with him as President for the last 3 and a half years, and what to expect from Romney, having lived in Massachussetts while he was governor. It really speaks to your mindset that you think people are only capable of learning what a candidate believes through their political ads; grossly cynical, if I may say. But then again, that same desire to avoid political advertisements en toto is probably why I am not well informed on local issues, as I've been intentionally avoiding those ads as well. Still, I feel confident enough that I know the policies and platforms of the people running for President that I am willing to vote on the race.

You didn't take two hours out of your time to read up on everything on the ballot, most of which directly impacts you yet you think you know enough of the two presidential candidates? You basically said you couldn't be fucked to go outside the box, so I'm to believe you're informed about grander schemes? Please that's just arrogant ignorance on your part. Btw I have avoided all the local ads as well. I was the props and did my own research on it all. I skipped voting for many candidates simply because I didn't agree with them or their competition.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
Ron Paul being the Republican nominee would have this poll at 60 - 61 in favor of Obama.

Assuming Gary Johnson didn't run and the LP sat this one out.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
wtf no Jill Stein? She creamed GJ in the debates. Figures. Damn P&N liberal bias.

Jill Stein is cool, but I disagree with you sentiment that she tooled him in the debates. Unless you love statism and someone else being the guiding force in your life. If Stein ran her own charity I would donate to it, But I don't want to be forcibly subjected to her experiment. Then again I'm a crazy guy who believes we should ask people to voluntary participate.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
So you went against your best interests? Principles fuck em amirite?

To be fair, he voted for his best possible interests. Sure, voting for Johnson would have been his ideal, but there is absolutely no chance of his being elected. Sure you can waive for pompoms about and argue ideals, but if it will be either Obama or Romney that will win this election (and it will be), then it makes far more practical sense to choose between the two who best suits his interests. He did that. Being pragmatic isn't "fucking" one's principles.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
548892_549869931709131_2136965340_n.png

I have seen MUCH better pics than that.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
To be fair, he voted for his best possible interests. Sure, voting for Johnson would have been his ideal, but there is absolutely no chance of his being elected. Sure you can waive for pompoms about and argue ideals, but if it will be either Obama or Romney that will win this election (and it will be), then it makes far more practical sense to choose between the two who best suits his interests. He did that. Being pragmatic isn't "fucking" one's principles.

How is it pragmatic? It's not using logic and experience instead of ideals to enact change, it's caving to the status quo because you're not pragmatic enough to be principled. Either way he's voting against his best interest, he's willing to settle for less because it hassles him to get his way. That's a big issue with why we keep getting shit. Because people are either uninformed consumers or are to willing to settle for less. This is absolutely the reason for small near nonexistent Federal Government because we need to get away from such great force ruling us.

Feb 6, 2007
You didn't take two hours out of your time to read up on everything on the ballot, most of which directly impacts you yet you think you know enough of the two presidential candidates? You basically said you couldn't be fucked to go outside the box, so I'm to believe you're informed about grander schemes? Please that's just arrogant ignorance on your part. Btw I have avoided all the local ads as well. I was the props and did my own research on it all. I skipped voting for many candidates simply because I didn't agree with them or their competition.
I didn't have a voter's pamphlet, just a copy of the straight text of measures and a list of candidate's names (we just moved and the voter's pamphlet stayed behind with our former roommate). I wasn't going to just vote for people because they had a (D) after their name, and I read the text of the measures; if I couldn't decipher the legalese, I abstained from voting on that issue. I didn't have time to go get another voter's pamphlet (like I said, in the process of moving), and even if I did, just voting based off other people's recommendations doesn't seem much better than abstaining.

But, whatever. I'm sorry I'm not the well-informed voter you think I ought to be. I try to balance that out by intentionally not voting on the issues I'm ignorant of. I hope that's good enough for your delicate sensibilities. If it isn't, I don't honestly care; this is America, people can vote how they want. At least I'm not loudly proclaiming that a candidate is a secret Kenyan Muslim and voting a straight party ticket despite having no familiarity with any of the names on the ballot. A partially informed electorate is surely preferable to an uninformed electorate, no?

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
I wanted to vote for Romney. I stood at the voting booth for a good 5 minutes, then I voted for Obama. It's black magic. Son of a bitch! We're gonna be handing out free money for the next 4 year again...

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I didn't have a voter's pamphlet, just a copy of the straight text of measures and a list of candidate's names (we just moved and the voter's pamphlet stayed behind with our former roommate). I wasn't going to just vote for people because they had a (D) after their name, and I read the text of the measures; if I couldn't decipher the legalese, I abstained from voting on that issue. I didn't have time to go get another voter's pamphlet (like I said, in the process of moving), and even if I did, just voting based off other people's recommendations doesn't seem much better than abstaining.

But, whatever. I'm sorry I'm not the well-informed voter you think I ought to be. I try to balance that out by intentionally not voting on the issues I'm ignorant of. I hope that's good enough for your delicate sensibilities. If it isn't, I don't honestly care; this is America, people can vote how they want. At least I'm not loudly proclaiming that a candidate is a secret Kenyan Muslim and voting a straight party ticket despite having no familiarity with any of the names on the ballot. A partially informed electorate is surely preferable to an uninformed electorate, no?

Uninformed and proud of it! You go, girl. That's what makes America great! o_O

Feb 6, 2007
Uninformed and proud of it! You go, girl. That's what makes America great! o_O

Partially informed, not uninformed. I didn't vote on the issues I know I'm uninformed on. Why is this such a difficult concept for people to grasp? "YOU MUST KNOW EVERY ISSUE ON THE BALLOT OR DON'T VOTE FOR ANYTHING AT ALL." Because America.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Partially informed, not uninformed. I didn't vote on the issues I know I'm uninformed on. Why is this such a difficult concept for people to grasp? "YOU MUST KNOW EVERY ISSUE ON THE BALLOT OR DON'T VOTE FOR ANYTHING AT ALL." Because America.

Because none of us knew any of the issues on the ballot before three days ago, amirite? Thinking that you're somehow doing the right thing by not voting on issues you don't know about is lame on the face of it. Admit to yourself that you fucked up and make sure to do better next time around. Sound good?

Feb 6, 2007
Because none of us knew any of the issues on the ballot before three days ago, amirite? Thinking that you're somehow doing the right thing by not voting on issue you don't know about is lame on the face of it. Admit to yourself that you fucked up and make sure to do better next time around. Sound good?

No. I'm not going to vote on things that I simply don't care about, and I don't care about who is running for county water district commissioner number 2. I don't have to explain my voting mentality to you. But would you really rather I just randomly filled in bubbles on my ballot for issues I'm uninformed on just so I can say I completed the whole thing? This isn't the SAT, you don't get credit for guessing.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
No. I'm not going to vote on things that I simply don't care about, and I don't care about who is running for county water district commissioner number 2. I don't have to explain my voting mentality to you. But would you really rather I just randomly filled in bubbles on my ballot for issues I'm uninformed on just so I can say I completed the whole thing? This isn't the SAT, you don't get credit for guessing.

You're focusing on the ballot issues instead of the issue of YOUR not taking time to examine the issues on a ballot you've known about forever. I don't care about your voting "mentality." It's clear you don't give a damn about the election so, why bother voting at all? This is YOUR fuck up not, our misunderstanding of why you can't take an hour or two out of neffing to understand the issues facing our country. I have to believe you half ass your way through the rest of your life as well. Grow up and take some responsibility.

Feb 6, 2007
You're focusing on the ballot issues instead of the issue of YOUR not taking time to examine the issues on a ballot you've known about forever. I don't care about your voting "mentality." It's clear you don't give a damn about the election so, why bother voting at all? This is YOUR fuck up not, our misunderstanding of why you can't take an hour or two out of neffing to understand the issues facing our country. I have to believe you half ass your way through the rest of your life as well. Grow up and take some responsibility.

The important thing is I voted. I didn't do it the way you would've preferred, but hey, that's why democracy is great. So let's not bicker, it's not going to change anything regardless. Cheers, sir.

:beer: