How come we don't have a Tiger Woods thread yet?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just watched the noon news and they say Tiger Wood's is hinting, on his website, that he has personal failings, that all but admits an affair.

But going back to the above picture of the driveway, I can somewhat understand how Wood's could have hit the hydrant, but where is the tree he hit next?

My other point is that even someone who has a suspended drivers license for drunk driving could legally drive on his own property, ram into his own trees and house, but as soon as he hits a public property fire hydrant, or allows his car onto a public road, the police have jurisdiction. And the right to keep the accident private is lost.

I am sure that if this had happened to some nobody, this incident would have never made the news, but because Tiger Woods is famous, it becomes national news.

Here's his statement from his website...

I have let my family down and I regret those transgressions with all of my heart. I have not been true to my values and the behavior my family deserves. I am not without faults and I am far short of perfect. I am dealing with my behavior and personal failings behind closed doors with my family. Those feelings should be shared by us alone.

Although I am a well-known person and have made my career as a professional athlete, I have been dismayed to realize the full extent of what tabloid scrutiny really means. For the last week, my family and I have been hounded to expose intimate details of our personal lives. The stories in particular that physical violence played any role in the car accident were utterly false and malicious. Elin has always done more to support our family and shown more grace than anyone could possibly expect.

But no matter how intense curiosity about public figures can be, there is an important and deep principle at stake which is the right to some simple, human measure of privacy. I realize there are some who don't share my view on that. But for me, the virtue of privacy is one that must be protected in matters that are intimate and within one's own family. Personal sins should not require press releases and problems within a family shouldn't have to mean public confessions.

Whatever regrets I have about letting my family down have been shared with and felt by us alone. I have given this a lot of reflection and thought and I believe that there is a point at which I must stick to that principle even though it's difficult.

I will strive to be a better person and the husband and father that my family deserves. For all of those who have supported me over the years, I offer my profound apology.

FWIW, if this had happened to some 'nobody' chances are one or both of them would have gone to jail the night of the accident.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Here's his statement from his website...

FWIW, if this had happened to some 'nobody' chances are one or both of them would have gone to jail the night of the accident.

It was a single car accident and the hospital records confirmed that no alcohol was involved.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
But no matter how intense curiosity about public figures can be, there is an important and deep principle at stake which is the right to some simple, human measure of privacy. I realize there are some who don't share my view on that. But for me, the virtue of privacy is one that must be protected in matters that are intimate and within one's own family. Personal sins should not require press releases and problems within a family shouldn't have to mean public confessions.
Section 14(c)-1, iii of the Privacy for Amazingly Famous Celebrities act says, in part, that 1% of your privacy is forfeit for every $10 million of endorsement income.

Now lessee . . . . Tiger has received about . . . um . . . $900 million in endorsements to date. Which yields Tiger a 10% privacy rate. Which means that Tiger gets to keep 1 in 10 mistresses secret. And 1 in 10 family arguments. And 1 in 10 off-color jokes. The rest - 90% of all of the most embarrassing human fvck-ups that Tiger can muster - are OURS.

Gimme, gimme, gimme, gimme, gimme.

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
Comment: Sounds like the cops might be planning on pressing assault charges on the blond bomber should the medical records supply adequate evidence of blunt-golf-club trauma.

press charges against a wife that found out her husband was cheating ? since when doesn't she have the right to hit him over the head with a golf club ?

it's in the Constitution - or it should be.

i can't believe Tiger was that stupid as to cheat on his wife. this could easily cost him $200 million (lost endorsements, missed tournaments, DIVORCE) plus his family. that's a high cost for a little nookie.

in one news article about it there's a picture of her very (very very) angry, i don't know if it was from this incident or from another. wish i could find it. classic image. i personally would rather have to deal with a great white shark.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Bullshit

If I hit a hydrant and a tree at 2:30am my ass would be in jail

What are you his lawyer, publicist doing damage control?

Probably not unless you had alcohol in your system. Cops see domestic disputes all the time and no one is put in jail unless some one was assaulted pretty badly.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Probably not unless you had alcohol in your system. Cops see domestic disputes all the time and no one is put in jail unless some one was assaulted pretty badly.

Maybe true years ago, but certainly not true now-at least in my state (CT). If there are injuries serious enough to call for the paramedics someone IS going right to jail.

And if in fact he was hit with a golf club that certainly is a very serious assault. The paramedics certainly should have been able to detect that sort of damage-your ordinary driveway accident in a big boat SUV isn't going to cause much personal injury usually. I'm guessing, but odds are what happened is Tiger (a) didn't tell the cops what really happened and/or (b) asked the cops not to pursue anything against his wife, and because he was a celebrity they (wrongfully) didn't follow up on the domestic violence angle.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
i can't believe Tiger was that stupid as to cheat on his wife. this could easily cost him $200 million (lost endorsements, missed tournaments, DIVORCE) plus his family. that's a high cost for a little nookie.
This behavior is de-rigueur for elite jocks. As Michael Wilbon (quoting Chris Rock) in the Washington Post wrote, a man is only as faithful as his options.

Just imagine yourself in a similar position: You've got a stunning wife, but it's been five or seven years. Everywhere you go, beautiful women seek you out, flatter you, show you how much they want you. And maybe you're two thousand miles from home, and it's been a week since you had any. And maybe THIS time, you've had a bit too much too drink. Maybe THIS time, the women offering herself to you is EXACTLY what you like.

Frankly, it's probably the rare exception that these guys don't give in to the temptation. The ones you haven't heard about are probably just better at hiding it or luckier.

The only difference for Tiger here on out is that he'll probably hire a poontang manager.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
It was a single car accident and the hospital records confirmed that no alcohol was involved.

Maybe true... Was a drug and blood alcohol test done? The reason I ask is how does one hit a tree and hydrant simply leaving the house?

From what I heard in the FHP statement there was nothing to indicate domestic violence. Really? The husband wrecks his car right outside the house in the middle of the night and the wife is on scene breaking the windows to free him. That doesn't sound suspicious? Was she outside the house with a golf club before the accident? If she wasn't, why bring a golf club instead of keys?

I don't care about their relationship but the preferential treatment from the police bothers me.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Robor: From what I understand Wood's blood was tested for alcohol (and probably drugs) at the hospital when he was brought in for treatment, which is SOP at most emergency rooms in accident cases, and his results came back negative. Those is supposed to be confidential patient information so whether the news reports are true or not I don't know.

I share your skepticism about the fairy tale that wife was breaking out the car's windows to free him and the apparent preferential treatment shown celebrities here (but really shouldn't we all be treated like that)?

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007

Not true. Here in NY there is "pro arrest" policy for any domestic crime. Assault is not the only domestic crime.

BMW540I6speed

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
Seems that his wife Elin just "teed" off. Most importantly what club did Elin use, maybe a "rescue" club? I heard Phil Mickelson called Elin on her cell phone today. He wanted to ask her how to beat Tiger. What does Tiger have in common with a baby seal? They've both been clubbed by a Swede!

The way I think it may have happened, she beat him up in the house, scratching up his face. He runs out of the house to get away, gets in his car and prepares to drive off. Still raging, she gets a golf club and smashes the window, which fucks up his driving - and he crashes, knocking himself out a bit. The seriousness of this freaks her out of her rage and she gets scared she's really hurt or killed him, and she pulls him out. Cops arrive and Tiger decides that he doesn't want his wife hauled off to jail, so he stays mum.

So from crash to confession, that took about 5 1/3 days before he had to drop the privacy thing and admit he'd been unfaithful to his wife. I think it goes to show not that privacy is impossible today, but that if the tabloid press and tabloid public get even a hint that somebody famous is covering something up, the purported wrongdoer is going to be hounded until something comes out. That's not to excuse anything he did, but I'm always a little amazed by the frenzy that surrounds stories like this. It's like people are out for blood as soon as they think someone famous is hiding information they are entitled to have. I was curious about this too, it goes without saying.

Obviously, Tiger is trading on his persona via his endorsements. So his behavior is a public matter. It's a high stakes game, and not everyone is up to the challenge. Nobody said, "Tiger, you must make money based on your persona and your image." You automatically put your image up for scrutiny the minute you accept a check from Accenture, Nike, Buick, whomever. Obviously if it comes out that Tom Lehman or Kenny Perry have a little pussy on the side, its not that big a deal.

He showed an incredible lack of discipline and common sense. Seriously, you're leaving voicemails on your hoochie's phone? So, he was diddling around with this chick for almost 3 years and it only gets out now? I'm stunned. How could he keep it secret that long$$$$, lol!

I'm always surprised by elite athlete wives who expect their husbands to be 100% faithful, in spite of every indication that it is really unlikely. Why wouldn't you go into a marriage with an elite athlete expecting that he would give you fame and fortune, but not fidelity?

Having said all of that, I don't think there is much damage to the Tiger brand long-term. He's that good. He can forget any "Sportsman of the Year" awards for the next few years, though, as well as any "family friendly" endorsements for a bit. Michael Jordan was a big cheater and still had plenty of endorsements. Its funny, because I have asked why Lefty (Phil Micklelson) has a rep as a jerk. a number of people say Lefty is "hated" because they don't like his attitude, consider him arrogant, phony, "a prick." But contrast that with a guy who appears to have been a pretty blatant philanderer, including cheating on his wife while she was pregnant. Hard to imagine his caddy and fellow players were entirely in the dark about such behavior - he doesn't appear to have been tremendously discreet. But that doesn't qualify him as a "prick" or a jerk in their eyes. Maybe it does, I surely dont know.

Being an avid golfer and fan of the game, I.. nor anyone I've paid any attention to, has asserted that Tiger leads an exemplary life. Indeed, his continued insistence upon maintaining a private life outside of golf, which I completely understand, has resulted in the general public having little or no relevant information on the "private" Tiger Woods. I am his fan not because I think he's a saint, but because he's the best golfer that has ever graced the planet, and in general he handles himself well in the process of winning tournament after tournament. Yes, he has a temper on the course, but it doesn't diminish significantly his status in my mind that he is a fierce competitor and that that slips through from time to time.

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
I just don't see his cheating is the public's business. It should be between him and his wife (and I guess any sponsors that want to drop him). Just because we are nosy and like gossip doesn't mean we are entitled to it.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Seems that his wife Elin just "teed" off. Most importantly what club did Elin use, maybe a "rescue" club? I heard Phil Mickelson called Elin on her cell phone today. He wanted to ask her how to beat Tiger. What does Tiger have in common with a baby seal? They've both been clubbed by a Swede!

:D
tiger.jpg

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
You know that 'Christmas' card is funny, but if it were the other way around there wouldn't have been a card made about it and people would have been super pissed.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
press charges against a wife that found out her husband was cheating ? since when doesn't she have the right to hit him over the head with a golf club ?

it's in the Constitution - or it should be.

in one news article about it there's a picture of her very (very very) angry, i don't know if it was from this incident or from another. wish i could find it. classic image. i personally would rather have to deal with a great white shark.

1. Tiger isnt stupid or his lawyers arnt she won't get shit cause he had a prenup as any party should have with assets or significant income over other way people get divorced these days. The deal is she has to stay married for 10 years to get 20 million. As of now all she can get is child support assuming she gets custody which she shouldn't being a psycho..

2. I don't care if he was banging the Swedish bikini team and Hawaiian Tropic Team in her bed and she walked in there is no excuse for domestic violence. A golf club can kill someone no joke. Tiger should have her ass in the slammer. At best get away from her because next time he might get so lucky just to miss golf tourneys.

3. Tiger could lose some endorsements in the future but I doubt that's on his mind considering his net worth and psycho wife of his children.

4. Tiger and/or the police is making a huge mistake ignoring domestic violence. She has plenty of money and access to have him killed and has shown a demonstrated propensity for violence. We don't need another statistic or trail of this century.

Last edited:

Sacrilege

Sep 6, 2007
America's most racist people continue their racism....

....little attention has been given to the race of the women linked with the world's greatest golfer.

Except in the black community.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091206...DeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDdGlnZXJzdHJvdWJs

There's nothing wrong with wanting a mate who shares your culture.... "It's not racist. It's not bigotry. It's cultural pride."
-Adolf Hilter

"Had Barack had a white wife, I would have thought twice about voting for him,"
-Grand Dragon of the KKK

I might have mis-attributed some of these quotes.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
I'm kind of glad he was taken down a peg... he's just a guy that is good at golfing, not a hero of any sort.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
I always thought he was smarter than this...

1. His wife is super hot.

2. This fame whore chick has also played a few rounds with Jeter and A-Rod.

3. However this ends up, his reputation is going to be permanently sullied.

Dumb, dumb, dumb...

tiger woods is sort of a whore himself so i guess its fitting

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Dave-he has a long way to go to catch up with Wilt Chamberlain (20,000 claimed as of 19 years ago).

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
Seen that today to, just more double standards that is typical of the 'black community'. If a white person said he wanted to preserve his culture he would be labled Hitler JR in a millisecond.

Really? Typical uh.