How can parents "disown" their children?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: CurtisEbear
has anyone actually ever known anyone who has disowned their children? I know i haven't. Maybe this whole disowning thing is just a myth, and it never really happens...

Or maybe not, what do i know, i'm a kid, not a parent.

I know of one. It was because of sexual orientation.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Snatchface
There's plenty of good reasons to disown your child, unfortunately. But it happens to be very easy to do legally. You just go to a Judge, say I will not take my child home, then they become a ward of the state and you have to pay child support to the state. They are then either placed in a Juvenile detention center if they are total scumbags, or foster care if they are not.

My fiancee has a teenage daughter who is out doing drugs all night, has stolen her credit cards multiple times and gone on shopping sprees, stole half her clothes to sell for dope, physically abused her, and constantly brought home threatening adult scumbag drug addicts to spend the night and do drugs, and destroyed the house multiple times. Try fixing that with love. Not easy for a single mom who can barely make ends meet to deal with. She finally had her daughter arrested and placed.

There is no reason good enough and it hardens the heart. Love is the answer
Spoken like someone who has truly never had to deal with any of the above. I wish it were the case, but sometimes it is just not reasonable to think so as your life is being destroyed by a deranged and destructive person.

How did she get that way in the first place? My guess is she was'nt tought love beween 0-8 which to me is the most important for personality formation. Tough love is needed sometimes, believe me I know and remember. And yes there are deranged people out there with chemical imblances or whatever term is being used today. If thats the case, your girlfriend did the right thing in commiting her. I would have laid some wood on missys behind as a youngster but once their too old (teens) not much you can do.

Did she really disown her or do they still have occational visits and/or phone calls?

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
How did she get that way in the first place? My guess is she was'nt tought love beween 0-8 which to me is the most important for personality formation.
Well to answer your "no love" theory, she has a sister one year older who is now a sophmore in college with a 4.0 and full scholarships. Of course a single mom providing for 2 children can obviously not be around all the time, but her other daughter is an absolute dream. They have occasional (very occasional)visits now. She is living with her grandparents and presently pulling the same $hit out there. Now failing out of Beauty School, which she bamboozeled them into paying for, and has been missing now for the past 2 weeks. She will wind up sticking her grandparents with the loan for that school now. They already caught her with three adult men (she is 17) in her room at their house doing drugs once in the middle of the night. There are serious psychological issues at play here and that is something that a parent has no control over. Her mother has had her hospitalized numerous times and finally gave up.

DiamondJ

Banned
Dec 7, 2002
Originally posted by: CurtisEbear
has anyone actually ever known anyone who has disowned their children? I know i haven't. Maybe this whole disowning thing is just a myth, and it never really happens...

Or maybe not, what do i know, i'm a kid, not a parent.

Ya, actually I do. It's not as common as people may think...but I think it's safe to say that it is prevelent enought that it isn't a "myth"

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: brtspears2
Because they didnt grow up the way their parents wanted to, ignorant parents.

Because the kids are ungrateful for what their parents provide for them, ignorant kids.

amish

Ime

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
My father threaten to disown me for marrying outside my race (I'm white, my wife is asian).

Eventually he came around and realized his mistake before committing it. We get along great.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
My parents disowned me and I have disowned them since. All of it stemmed from the fact that I'm gay. That seems to be a very high reason for parents disowning their kids. Oh well. Life goes on...

I'm sure that there are still details in the archives if you want to search for them...

Andrew

NakaNaka

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
I don't know. If I had a kid that killed someone in cold blood I might disown them. Honestly, I have no clue how I would react unless I was put into that situation and hopefully I won't be.

numark

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2002
Originally posted by: tk149
If you were Jeffrey Dahmer's, John Wayne Gacy's, or Osama Bin Laden's parents, wouldn't you disown him?

BTW, I'm guessing here, but your kids aren't teenagers yet, are they?

Osama bin Laden's family did, in fact, disown him. They're royal Saudis, and many of his brothers and sisters own successful businesses here and in the Middle East and really don't want to have to deal with him and his reputation over their heads every second of the day.