how can I install multiple case fan??

nick02

Sep 18, 2017
hi

how can i add multiple case fan into my system ??

MY system config:-
I7 6800K
RAM DDR4 16gb single...
X99a MSI motherboard
cpu fan CM Hyper 212x
CM 912half
normal graphic card ( but add atleast 1080p GC in future)

I bought 3 fan ... 2 Cooler master sickle flow x 120mm and 1 arctic 140mm pwm fan

I want to add one arctic 140mm pwm on my case (side ) and 2 cooler master 120mm sicklflow X fan (as an exhaust) on top of the case .. already one back fan and cooler master hyper 212x in my system.

So, how can I install this fan on my system guys ?? Is this right case fan for my system according to my rigg ? I want to add arctic fan on motherboard and CM sickle flow x fan as a exhaust fan on top and want to attach with psu (I dnt want to add extra load on my mother board.) .. so will be good idea??

sorry no knowledge about computer hardware. dnt know i m thinking right or wrong. So plz advise me how can I install multiple case fan n where should i install on mobo or with psu. and sickle fan can be use as exhaust fan for top.

how many case fan should we install in system??

Thanks

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Not to sound too rude, but you apparently built a computer, but don't know how to install fans on your case?

You install as many fans as you need/want. Multiple fans are not needed, but many people use extra fans to provide better cooling at lower noise levels (the more fans you use, the slower you can run them). If you run them directly off of your PSU, they will run at full speed all the time. If you install them onto your motherboard's connections, you can configure them how fast/slow to run in your BIOS. Just read your motherboard's manual and it should answer any questions you have about that. The fans that you bought hardly use any power, so they are perfectly fine to run them off of your motherboard.

Reactions: nick02

nick02

Sep 18, 2017
Not to sound too rude, but you apparently built a computer, but don't know how to install fans on your case?

You install as many fans as you need/want. Multiple fans are not needed, but many people use extra fans to provide better cooling at lower noise levels (the more fans you use, the slower you can run them). If you run them directly off of your PSU, they will run at full speed all the time. If you install them onto your motherboard's connections, you can configure them how fast/slow to run in your BIOS. Just read your motherboard's manual and it should answer any questions you have about that. The fans that you bought hardly use any power, so they are perfectly fine to run them off of your motherboard.

Thanks a lott buddy, prefect answer really appreciated!!

I did't built my system.. My system was assembled by Hardware guy (where I bought my system parts).. but now I bought case fan online so thinking to installing myself. Thats the only reason.

Reactions: UsandThem

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
The ideal way to connect case ventilation fans is to plug them into motherboard SYS_FAN headers, because these can perform automatic control of the speed of the fans according to the actual temperature measured by a sensor on the motherboard. However, there are a few limiting factors you need to pay attention to.

First, there are two common fan types: 3-pin and 4-pin. They each need the mobo to use a different type of control method, ideally. Now it happens that your mobo does not have an option for this - it only uses the older Voltage Control Mode best suited to 3-pin fans. HOWEVER, the newer 4-pin fan type (PWM fan) CAN work with this same method, so you are OK.

Next, any mobo fan header can supply up to 1.0 amps max current to all the fans connected to that one header. You have not provided a complete specification of the exact model numbers of your fans. Some fans in the families you listed use up to 0.35 amps per fan (especially ones that include LED lights in the fan). So it would be OK to connect two fans to each of your mobo headers, but not three each, if they all can consume that much current. Fortunately, you have three mobo fan headers. BUT you are adding three fans to HOW MANY already exist? You would have to check the specs for every fan - use the exact model numbers - and check the total amperage you want to connect to each header separately.

To connect several fans to one mobo header, you will need a SPLITTER for each header. A SPLITTER has two arm types: one arm ends in a female (with holes) fan connector to plug into a mobo header, and the other type (2 or 3 of these) has male (with pins) connectors to plug your fans into. It has NO other types of arms. For your system, do NOT buy a HUB. A Hub is a similar device, but it also has a third arm type that must plug into a power output from the PSU. A Hub can only work with true 4-pin fans and headers, and you do not have those.

Here are examples of SPLITTERS you might use; first has 2 output arms, second has three

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16812423161

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16812423163

Although these items are designed for 4-pin systems, they will fit and work just fine with both 3-pin and 4-pin fans.

nick02

Sep 18, 2017
The ideal way to connect case ventilation fans is to plug them into motherboard SYS_FAN headers, because these can perform automatic control of the speed of the fans according to the actual temperature measured by a sensor on the motherboard. However, there are a few limiting factors you need to pay attention to.

First, there are two common fan types: 3-pin and 4-pin. They each need the mobo to use a different type of control method, ideally. Now it happens that your mobo does not have an option for this - it only uses the older Voltage Control Mode best suited to 3-pin fans. HOWEVER, the newer 4-pin fan type (PWM fan) CAN work with this same method, so you are OK.

Next, any mobo fan header can supply up to 1.0 amps max current to all the fans connected to that one header. You have not provided a complete specification of the exact model numbers of your fans. Some fans in the families you listed use up to 0.35 amps per fan (especially ones that include LED lights in the fan). So it would be OK to connect two fans to each of your mobo headers, but not three each, if they all can consume that much current. Fortunately, you have three mobo fan headers. BUT you are adding three fans to HOW MANY already exist? You would have to check the specs for every fan - use the exact model numbers - and check the total amperage you want to connect to each header separately.

To connect several fans to one mobo header, you will need a SPLITTER for each header. A SPLITTER has two arm types: one arm ends in a female (with holes) fan connector to plug into a mobo header, and the other type (2 or 3 of these) has male (with pins) connectors to plug your fans into. It has NO other types of arms. For your system, do NOT buy a HUB. A Hub is a similar device, but it also has a third arm type that must plug into a power output from the PSU. A Hub can only work with true 4-pin fans and headers, and you do not have those.

Here are examples of SPLITTERS you might use; first has 2 output arms, second has three

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16812423161

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16812423163

Although these items are designed for 4-pin systems, they will fit and work just fine with both 3-pin and 4-pin fans.

Thanks a lott for this detailed info... really very very helpful..

Now I installed

1 top CM 120mm sickle-flow X (exhaust) on motherboard
1 back rear fan (Already installed as an exhaust) on motherboard
1 side fan arctic 140 mm pwm (Intake) on motherboard
2 front fan (Intake) 1 is CM 120mm sickle-flow X on motherboard and One was already installed came with cooler master cabinate this fan i mount with psu (molex pin )

Is my fan installation are ohk ?

I got blue screen error only one time KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. Should i do something for this error?

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
Your fan installations are fine. The only point to note (NOT a problem - just something to know) is that the two front fans connected to the PSU Molex source will always run full speed, and their speeds will not be displayed for you.

That error, as kirbyrj says, is not related to your fans. If it happened only once and never comes back, ignore it. If it happens more often, you'll have to start looking for a cause. The quick note I found from Microsoft is that it is something that normally is found and fixed by a programmer, not something you fix yourself. But if it keeps happening, you can do some checking for things like missing or incorrect device drivers in Windows Device Manager.

nick02

Sep 18, 2017
Your fan installations are fine. The only point to note (NOT a problem - just something to know) is that the two front fans connected to the PSU Molex source will always run full speed, and their speeds will not be displayed for you.

That error, as kirbyrj says, is not related to your fans. If it happened only once and never comes back, ignore it. If it happens more often, you'll have to start looking for a cause. The quick note I found from Microsoft is that it is something that normally is found and fixed by a programmer, not something you fix yourself. But if it keeps happening, you can do some checking for things like missing or incorrect device drivers in Windows Device Manager.

Thanks a lott for this info Paperdoc... So far so good buddy .. :)