House Speaker election/circus/all ages carnival - ongoing coverage

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Wow, if your description of the concessions is accurate (I'm not criticizing, I just don't know) and if cuts to Medicare and SS are going to be a necessary part of even getting the debt ceiling increase to a vote, that's a horrendous leap back. Sounds like the upcoming rules vote is going to be extremely critical.
Thats what the hostage takers seem to think they are getting in regards to the debt ceiling. Now they are often full of shit so we shall see what proffered for the rules. I think the rules is going to be more difficult than the 15 rounds of speaker votes.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
By accepting a pardon, you admit your guilt. While you mean well with this, this is almost as stupid as any MTG idea. And once pardon is granted, one MUST testify in front congress. And you cant plead the 5th
Although the Supreme Court's opinion stated that a pardon carries "an imputation of guilt and acceptance of a confession of it," this was part of the Court's dictum for the case. Whether the acceptance of a pardon constitutes an admission of guilt by the recipient is disputed.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Thats what the hostage takers seem to think they are getting in regards to the debt ceiling. Now they are often full of shit so we shall see what proffered for the rules.
I think the rules is going to be more difficult than the 15 rounds of speaker votes.
so no other committees can do work be done till the House Rules are passed by the Rules committee?

edit: Rules committee
13 seats but 9 are Repub and 4 are Dem?!
( instead of 7 and 6 since Repubs are only +9)

I guess that's one way of neutralizing the 2 MAGA on this committee that was rumored as the cost of McCarthy's speakership.
But McCarthy has to stick the 2 extra Dems on another committee?

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Better question....
WHY would house republicans go after people that have committed absolutely zero crimes???

The pardons are to protect the innocent like Dr Fauci from the republican BULLSHIT.

you don't understand what you are suggesting.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
so no other committees can do work be done till the House Rules are passed by the Rules committee?

I guess that's one way of neutralizing the 2 MAGA on this committee that was rumored as the cost of McCarthy's speakership.

So the MAGA representation comes out of the portion that should have gone to the Dems? That seems hardly fair, especially when the GQP won the majority by such a slim margin. Why in the world would the Dems have agreed to that apportionment?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

even more interesting:
they need majority (ie: 218 votes) to pass the House Rules and not plurality (ie: 213 vs Dems 212).

so now we're back to McCarthy can only have 4 Repubs vote no.
And there's 1 non-MAGA repub saying he's voting no because he opposes defense cuts as a condition to raise the debt limit.

And there's another non-Maga repub voting no till she sees in writing what the backroom deals McCarthy did with the MAGA wing to get his Speakership.
She said there was supposed to be transparency.
but What McCarthy did was what Nancy Pelosi was doing.

Last edited:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Mike Rogers lost his shit and wanted the hide of Gaetz because they were going to give that dirtbag a gavel on an Armed Services subcommittee.

Gaetz isn’t fit to chair a dog catcher committee
This is Salon's take on what happened. Seems Boebert didn't get her vote right per her agreement with Gaetz. She was supposed to vote for Gaetz and he was going to vote present.

“Everybody panicked and flipped out”: Lauren Boebert’s “confusion” prompted angry GOP confrontation | Salon.com

"One thing that was interesting to me is that what we were told was Lauren Boebert was sitting next to Gaetz, and we were told on that vote, on the 14th vote, she was actually going to vote for Gaetz, which would have allowed Gaetz to vote present, which McCarthy would have won on the 14th vote," he continued. "Voted for Gaetz, then Gaetz can vote present. What happened is she voted present, and Gaetz voted present, and he didn't get it. He got on the number but he didn't get there. There was some confusion about what was happening, and that's when everybody panicked and flipped out."

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I'm all for pardoning Fauci. Governments shouldn't go after scientists for mistakes that are a part of science, as Italy tried with some geologists.

Joe Biden shouldn't pardon Hunter. And I don't think he would. Joe would stand by his son, help him find the best lawyers, maybe even drive the Secret Service crazy by visiting Hunter in prison regularly. But he wouldn't pardon Hunter for anything Hunter actually did, and probably not for anything he was convicted of.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
This is Salon's take on what happened. Seems Boebert didn't get her vote right per her agreement with Gaetz. She was supposed to vote for Gaetz and he was going to vote present.

“Everybody panicked and flipped out”: Lauren Boebert’s “confusion” prompted angry GOP confrontation | Salon.com

"One thing that was interesting to me is that what we were told was Lauren Boebert was sitting next to Gaetz, and we were told on that vote, on the 14th vote, she was actually going to vote for Gaetz, which would have allowed Gaetz to vote present, which McCarthy would have won on the 14th vote," he continued. "Voted for Gaetz, then Gaetz can vote present. What happened is she voted present, and Gaetz voted present, and he didn't get it. He got on the number but he didn't get there. There was some confusion about what was happening, and that's when everybody panicked and flipped out."
The brain trust fucked up? I'm shocked! Shocked!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'm all for pardoning Fauci. Governments shouldn't go after scientists for mistakes that are a part of science, as Italy tried with some geologists.

Joe Biden shouldn't pardon Hunter. And I don't think he would. Joe would stand by his son, help him find the best lawyers, maybe even drive the Secret Service crazy by visiting Hunter in prison regularly. But he wouldn't pardon Hunter for anything Hunter actually did, and probably not for anything he was convicted of.
Pardon Fauci for what?

Feb 4, 2009

Huh?

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004

Holy. Fucking. Clowns. They just keep one-upping themselves with stupidity, and they brought in professionals with MTG and Boebert (among others.)

Reactions: hal2kilo

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

No need to pardon Fauci. Our legal system isn't as fucked up as Italy's.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

ahh.. that explains it.

Thought a deal was reached for the 14th Speaker vote then Gaetz decided not to honor it and basically threw a big double middle finger at McCarthy as the last voter.

With that kind of animosity, did McCarthy's underage granddaughter reject Gaetz?

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

Didn't they have the right to change their vote at any time before the vote by gaveled by the clerk? That happened on the motion to adjourn after the 14th vote. Time expired with the motion to adjourn winning and then all of sudden McCarthy and others changed their vote and ultimately the motion to adjourn died.

• Wow
Reactions: Pohemi

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Didn't they have the right to change their vote at any time before the vote by gaveled by the clerk? That happened on the motion to adjourn after the 14th vote. Time expired with the motion to adjourn winning and then all of sudden McCarthy and others changed their vote and ultimately the motion to adjourn died.
Clusterfuck is clusterfuck.

Reactions: Pohemi

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Mike Rogers lost his shit and wanted the hide of Gaetz because they were going to give that dirtbag a gavel on an Armed Services subcommittee.

Gaetz isn’t fit to chair a dog catcher committee
Trying to mimic this…?

1673300833147.gif

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
that's Mitch?!

and looking upset?
Need background info!
Not sure what's being said obv, but that also looks like McCain in front of him, possibly telling the guy at the table on the right edge to stfu? idk