House Speaker election/circus/all ages carnival - ongoing coverage

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
The crosstalk between Dem leadership and moderate Repubs must be pretty busy hashing over how to get around the House Freedom Caucus blockade. Lots of deals to be made, lots of bartering by concerned interests. Lots of lip reading by staff underlings. Knives out, let the slashing and stabbing continue unabated. I wonder if Friedrich Nietzsche's adage about resilience is finally disproved by the Repub's in-fighting. One can hope.

Feb 4, 2009
There is something Democrats should learn from Republicans.
McCarthy should not be in that office. Pelosi or the new guy whom I forgot his name should be in that office and not vacate until a new leader is selected simply to troll the other side. Sit in the office because you are the last elected speaker and not leave until a new one is selected.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi and iRONic

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Blah blah USA land of the free and opportunity. Any first world western nation can give the same opportunity to immigrants.

For anyone not watching, a Mexico born representative is currently giving spineless one nomination speech.

Reactions: Pohemi

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
None of this is about political leanings, because McCarthy is as right wing as they come.

This is just shit stirrers elected by low-information morons who believe things like "we need to shake things up" as a reason to elect politicians. Including a proud member of Q-Anon, a cult that makes flat earth seem reasonable.

Seems pretty clear that anything with "Freedom" in it's name these days is just flat out idiocy. I hearken back a few years to "Freedom Fries". How quickly can a word be completely misused and ruined.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
None of this is about political leanings, because McCarthy is as right wing as they come.

This is just shit stirrers elected by low-information morons who believe things like "we need to shake things up" as a reason to elect politicians. Including a proud member of Q-Anon, a cult that makes flat earth seem reasonable.

Seems pretty clear that anything with "Freedom" in it's name these days is just flat out idiocy. I hearken back a few years to "Freedom Fries". How quickly can a word be completely misused and ruined.

Freedom caucus, Oath Keepers, Patriot Prayer, Proud Boys, the list goes on.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Okay there’s my answer to why they don’t vote to give chance Jeffries can win with 212. As much as they hate the spineless one, basically no way in hell a Dem going to be speaker a Republican house majority.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
McCarthy just lost the 10th vote;.:eek:
making this the longest speaker race in a century.

Republican leader Kevin McCarthy failed again despite offering fresh concessions to hard-right Republicans opposing his bid. The compromises have failed to move his foes, sending him to defeat on a third day of voting.

Lucy.. football..
# Needs MOAR popcorn!

Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
interesting.. votes are now coming in for Kevin Hern even tho hern is saying repeatedly to vote for McCarthy

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
And it's already a loss.
McCarthy just lost the 10th vote;.:eek:
making this the longest speaker race in a century.

Republican leader Kevin McCarthy failed again despite offering fresh concessions to hard-right Republicans opposing his bid. The compromises have failed to move his foes, sending him to defeat on a third day of voting.

Lucy.. football..
# Needs MOAR popcorn!
Well after six more:
qVhddTg.png

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
interesting.. votes are now coming in for Kevin Hern even tho hern is saying repeatedly to vote for McCarthy
Gaetz is really but hurt over (I assume) being thrown under the bus on his sex trafficking investigation and is out for McCarthy's scalp. As much as I believe McCarthy brought all of this on himself, if I were he, I wouldn't give an inch to that scum branch of the party. They need to be ignored at best.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
What the fuck ... I mean. They're stating out loud, tall and proud... that they want to rig their own primaries? Rig the election? The Trump Trump dum-dums wants their primaries fixed?
I think the law says they aren't even supposed to be talking to them about control of money.

• Wow
Reactions: Pohemi and cytg111