House Speaker election/circus/all ages carnival - ongoing coverage

Page 57 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
Jordan surrenders as the count of votes against him looked to grow into the 30s.

Looks like they are going to execute the McHenry option. If they need Dem votes to do this remains to be seen.

I read moments ago Senate Mitch is working with some Democrats to put together a spending bill that ties money to Israel to money to Ukraine, plus some other debt extensions to keep the Gov running. Essentially Mitch is the only reasonable Republican (that can get something done) Democrats in either chamber can talk to.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
The clown car is just temporarily in the shop, to return at any time. Gym only agreed to this compromise on McHenry by insisting that he (Jordan) remains the "Speaker Designee" (a title that doesn't even exist), and he can call for a speaker vote for himself at any time.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The clown car is just temporarily in the shop, to return at any time. Gym only agreed to this compromise on McHenry by insisting that he (Jordan) remains the "Speaker Designee" (a title that doesn't even exist), and he can call for a speaker vote for himself at any time.

Every time I think that man can't become any more pathetic I am surprised.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Sounds like this is going to need quite a few Dem votes to work. So what are they going to want?

Israel/Ukraine/Taiwan supplemental on the floor.
Adhere to terms of debt ceiling deal.
Votes on clean CRs until apropos work is done.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Remember this gem from history?
67546404.0.jpg

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
What Dems want should be easy:

1. Fully funded Ukraine aid package—tied to Israel package of that makes it easier for Rs to swallow.

2. Fully fund the government with a CR through the holiday season

3. Bring a realistic bipartisan budget to a floor vote (based on debt ceiling deal)
The Dems should ask for an open ended CR until such a time as Congress can pass all appropriations bills. They would have to limit the portion of the CR dealing with non-Naval military expenses to two years to stay within Constitutional limits but otherwise, the CR stands until surpassed with appropriations laws. I would suggest indexing the CR to inflation. Quite frankly, this is how appropriations should be done anyway. The current annual budget process is designed to maximize Congressional opportunities for corruption.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Apparently this R conference meeting is an absolute clusterfuck. Members angry that Jordan won't officially stand down, other members angry that they're going to take D votes for McHenry, and yet other members angry because that's all they know how to do.

At what point 10 fed up Rs walk to the other side and do a deal remains to be seen but this ongoing disaster is setting the stage.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Apparently this R conference meeting is an absolute clusterfuck. Members angry that Jordan won't officially stand down, other members angry that they're going to take D votes for McHenry, and yet other members angry because that's all they know how to do.

At what point 10 fed up Rs walk to the other side and do a deal remains to be seen but this ongoing disaster is setting the stage.
I sense that we're witnessing the third party emerge, like a bloated fly larvae from a carcass.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

Article I​

Section 2 House of Representatives

• Clause 5 Impeachment
The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment.

I read that as they choose those positions rather than any one else being able to.
The system is clearly weak. If the Speaker needs 50% of the vote and nobody musters that we are in limbo, not good. There should be a provision to settle on a speaker under such circumstances, that is if a Speaker is necessary for the HOR to do its business.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
The system is clearly weak. If the Speaker needs 50% of the vote and nobody musters that we are in limbo, not good. There should be a provision to settle on a speaker under such circumstances, that is if a Speaker is necessary for the HOR to do its business.
5th vote, whoever has the highest count wins the conch.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
Gee, all it took to break a government is for electorates full of spiteful morons to elect adversarial trolls who promise to tear down government. aka people like "where'd all the really young ladies go?" Gaetz.