House Passes 1/6 Commission

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
He was held in contempt.

No matter. I've held him in contempt for years now. Because he's a contemptuous person. The only issue here is whether this legal version is going to have any teeth.

Reactions: iRONic and hal2kilo

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Bullshit. It's just more of the usual tearing down the Democrats. Trump's lackeys simply refused to protect the Constitution.
if the government isn't willing to enforce contempt of one of its 3 primary branches, then contempt becomes meaningless. DoJ needs to come down hard and haul bannon's fat ass away kicking and screaming. contempt of the highest levels of government should not be ignored, or be *able* to be ignored in the first place. it should be "oh shit i'm about to go to FPMITAP if i don't show up yesterday"

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Pretty interesting to watch today. It is very clear he dodged many questions. Flat out wouldn't answer yes or no questions. What was more surprising, at just how ignorant (or he was lying) he was of several facts. He simply would not say it was the same thing, when "protesters" pushed their way into another federal building and assaulted cops. Right there in DC. He claims to have no knowledge about it, and when confronted with pictures, wouldn't call it the same thing. Clearly an agenda, to anyone who isn''t completely bias. But looking at the topics on here, this place and the moderators are still bias. Then get all upset when called out on the bias and moderating people differently depending on how who they voted for. But thats normal for anything online anymore.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Pretty interesting to watch today. It is very clear he dodged many questions. Flat out wouldn't answer yes or no questions. What was more surprising, at just how ignorant (or he was lying) he was of several facts. He simply would not say it was the same thing, when "protesters" pushed their way into another federal building and assaulted cops. Right there in DC. He claims to have no knowledge about it, and when confronted with pictures, wouldn't call it the same thing. Clearly an agenda, to anyone who isn''t completely bias. But looking at the topics on here, this place and the moderators are still bias. Then get all upset when called out on the bias and moderating people differently depending on how who they voted for. But thats normal for anything online anymore.

BIASED…it is a word. Moderators are BIASED, not bias. People are BIASED. Bias is a noun.

Reactions: himkhan

himkhan

Jul 13, 2013
As if January 6 wasn't bad enough. We could forgive. Move on from that. But the outright attempted whitewashing that is going on will never be forgiven or forgotten.

They have declared war.

Reactions: cytg111

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
BIASED…it is a word. Moderators are BIASED, not bias. People are BIASED. Bias is a noun.

Pretty amazing people are still trying to BothSides this. Says a lot they either aren't being honest with even themselves, or are naive/dumb enough to believe what the Team Treason echochamber tells them.

Still, 'bias' at the top levels of government and halls of journalism vs. bias in moderation on a website. Clearly two sides of a coin, whattaya gonna do right? Both sides!

*sigh*

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Looking forward to Bannon spending some time in jail. Maybe they will force him to take a shower
R.b74d1273d59a4b63e1c50ef9c49ed16b

• Haha
Reactions: Fanatical Meat

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
The fact that Roger Stone, Paul Manafort, Erik Prince, Junior, Rudy so on and so on still strolls around free as free can be with zero fucks given…. makes me expect very little to happen with this Bannon shite.. Wish I was wrong, but it sure looks like lady justice is dead, law and order is dead, your experiment is dead, dead democracy walking, you just havent realized it yet. Fuck I hope I am wrong.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So is the idea that the federal prosecutor for DC won’t put this before a grand jury or that the DOJ will block them from doing so?

Again, Bannon might be able to stall this with other various legal maneuvers where he pretends to be just trying to work through the legal problems before complying but the idea that the DOJ is going to quash this seems nuts to me.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
So is the idea that the federal prosecutor for DC won’t put this before a grand jury or that the DOJ will block them from doing so?

Again, Bannon might be able to stall this with other various legal maneuvers where he pretends to be just trying to work through the legal problems before complying but the idea that the DOJ is going to quash this seems nuts to me.
The idea that the DOJ isn't going after Trump hard for the things in the Mueller report seems nuts to me but here we are.

Reactions: iRONic

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
The DOJ must *appear* to be apolitical… and in a setting where rabid Trumpicans define the lowest common denominator…
I dont know, looks like lambs to the slaughter to me.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The idea that the DOJ isn't going after Trump hard for the things in the Mueller report seems nuts to me but here we are.
It is? Wow.

So quick question about that - can you name a single candidate for president or a single prospective AG that you think would have attempted a criminal prosecution of Trump? I can’t.

Regardless, I’m confused as to why ‘won’t prosecute Trump’ equates to active sabotage of Congress here. I keep asking this but nobody seems to have an answer.

edit: remember, this referral goes to the federal prosecutor for DC who then brings it to a grand jury. Either the prosecutor has to refuse to bring it to the grand jury or main Justice has to threaten to fire or otherwise discipline him for doing so in order to intimidate him into not acting. Exactly which of these do you think is going to happen?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
It is? Wow.

So quick question about that - can you name a single candidate for president or a single prospective AG that you think would have attempted a criminal prosecution of Trump? I can’t.

Regardless, I’m confused as to why ‘won’t prosecute Trump’ equates to active sabotage of Congress here. I keep asking this but nobody seems to have an answer.

edit: remember, this referral goes to the federal prosecutor for DC who then brings it to a grand jury. Either the prosecutor has to refuse to bring it to the grand jury or main Justice has to threaten to fire or otherwise discipline him for doing so in order to intimidate him into not acting. Exactly which of these do you think is going to happen?
I didn't say it is. I said it seems nuts to me. I obviously know very little about the justice system or the inner workings of our government. I simply have to struggle with what I think is right or wrong and how that does not line up with legal consequences and how that seems really, really bad for the rest of us and how some of us just accept it and enjoy the warming water.

Reactions: iRONic

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I didn't say it is. I said it seems nuts to me. I obviously know very little about the justice system or the inner workings of our government. I simply have to struggle with what I think is right or wrong and how that does not line up with legal consequences and how that seems really, really bad for the rest of us and how some of us just accept it and enjoy the warming water.
While I agree with you generally I guess I just find it fairly unlikely that they would be able to sustain a criminal case to conviction. The standard for impeachment and final fiction was MORE than met but beyond a reasonable doubt? Maybe, but maybe not, and if you fail you have not only encouraged retaliation but you’ve made the Trumpkins vastly stronger politically. This has very real risks.

Contrast that to Steve Bannon. Nobody gives a fuck about Steve Bannon, he’s in active defiance of Congress which is an easy thing to show politically, and encouraging people to just never show up to Congress if they don’t feel like it hobbles you going forward.

The logic for Bannon is easy. It’s not so easy for Trump.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Every time the FBI and DOJ lets these people get away with something, they just double down and do it harder. Remember that moment of consternation after January 6th, when they actually acted like they might be held accountable for their actions? I remember they were so concerned that they actually conceded the Georgia run-off elections without a whimper of complaint. But they soon realized there would be no consequences and they were off to the races again.

There is a time urgency here and they need to stop slow-walking this. If Biden’s approval ratings are low as we approach 2024, it will be like there are no laws, and people will start committing blatant political and election fraud thinking they will be pardoned once Trump gets re-elected.

I get that hey have to be very careful to have everything rock solid before the go through with this. As we saw with the “exoneration” by the Mueller report and the two impeachments - a swing and a miss can be worse that never swinging at all.

Or maybe it will be OK. Maybe if Merrick Garland and Chris Wray leave the runaway boulder that is threatening to destroy democracy alone for a little while longer, it’ll stop by itself. But it’s not the theory I’m betting on. Whatever the outcome, it’s going to set precedent for the long, foreseeable future in how we deal with a rogue president supported by wealthy crooks. If rulings are adverse, pretty much kiss our democracy goodbye.

Last edited:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
A scuffle breaks out on the House floor, with MTG heckling Raskin and Cheney, and Cheney saying that MTG is "a joke" who believes in Jewish space lasers.

Why not? She's Trump's court jester. What kind of performance would it be if she believed only in things that are real?

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Pretty amazing people are still trying to BothSides this. Says a lot they either aren't being honest with even themselves, or are naive/dumb enough to believe what the Team Treason echochamber tells them.

Still, 'bias' at the top levels of government and halls of journalism vs. bias in moderation on a website. Clearly two sides of a coin, whattaya gonna do right? Both sides!

*sigh*
It really doesn't affect the current morally depraved, and hypocritically driven Republican agenda to destroy democracy, but at least Cheney keeps calling them out.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
A scuffle breaks out on the House floor, with MTG heckling Raskin and Cheney, and Cheney saying that MTG is "a joke" who believes in Jewish space lasers.

Why not? She's Trump's court jester. What kind of performance would it be if she believed only in things that are real?
This is why you can't let these morons anywhere near the Jan 6 hearings. That includes
Gym Jordan
Matt Gaetz
Kevin McCarthy
pick your poison

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I watched a lot of the hearing yesterday, and Cheney requested copies of letters be introduced to the record. Seems Rep. Jim Banks, R-Ind. was sending letters to the DOJ saying he was the ranking member of the committee and looking for information. That definitely got my attention, but it was left as kind of on the floor. Well........

Liz Cheney catches fellow GOP Rep. Jim Banks in a deceptive Jan. 6 plot | Salon.com .

Reactions: dank69