House Passes 1/6 Commission

Page 102 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
DOJ wants 6 months for Steve Bannon

“For his sustained, bad-faith contempt of Congress, the Defendant should be sentenced to six months’ imprisonment – the top end of the Sentencing Guidelines’ range – and fined $200,000 – based on his insistence on paying the maximum fine rather than cooperate with the Probation Office’s routine pre-sentencing financial investigation,” prosecutors wrote in their court filing on Monday.

He deserves to be in prison for the rest of his life given what he helped create, but I guess this is what's doable. Better than nothing right?

Reactions: hal2kilo

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
For the specific charge of Contempt of Congress, I think six months is fine. If he still is in contempt when he gets out, he can be charged again and again.

Reactions: Drach and zinfamous

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Thanks. I mean, I remember TFG whining about how the election was going to be rigged against him, but that somewhat made sense (to me) for him to do that publicly because that's just who he is. This video of Stone just seems to be a different level to me, and I'm trying to wrap my head around it.

Edit: I get that Stone is a liar, no question there. This video wasn't public at the time, so it sort of gives me the sense that he believed what he was spouting at the time.

I think its a matter of information silos right, you can swirl down one of them not really knowing what is happening and two months later you all about chem trails, magnetic vaccines and lizard people. Looking at Stone, yea, he believes that shit, no doubt about it... And at some level, that means dude is not a villain, cause his true intent is to bring about justice and righteousness ... however fucked it may look to the rest of us in the real world.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Can you imagine how fast the house will pull the plug on these Trump/Jan 6 investigations should they take back the house? It makes my head spin. Fast? Damn fast! Faster than Mitch McConnell can confirm a Trump SCOTUS nominee. Yes, THAT FAST. :oops:

And imagine if republicans ruled and none of the investigations had taken place. We would have never known ANYTHING. not one single thing about what really happened. And... the bad guys would still be running free.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Can you imagine how fast the house will pull the plug on these Trump/Jan 6 investigations should they take back the house? It makes my head spin. Fast? Damn fast! Faster than Mitch McConnell can confirm a Trump SCOTUS nominee. Yes, THAT FAST. :oops:

First official act. Maybe 2nd if MTG introduces articles of impeachment.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999

And imagine if republicans ruled and none of the investigations had taken place. We would have never known ANYTHING. not one single thing about what really happened. And... the bad guys would still be running free.
Lol as if the committee is as stupid as you and will leave it active come January 2023. Report will be issued and committee ended under their own control.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Got enny moar FUD?!?!

JFC… the bad guys been running around for centuries.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

lol they can try to pull the plug on it but it doesn't matter anymore - it's too late. The committee always planned to finish their work during a single congressional term so there's not much to pull the plug on. I'm sure if Democrats keep the House they would happily continue these sort of investigations but as far as the 1/6 committee goes the Republicans are powerless.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
lol they can try to pull the plug on it but it doesn't matter anymore - it's too late. The committee always planned to finish their work during a single congressional term so there's not much to pull the plug on. I'm sure if Democrats keep the House they would happily continue these sort of investigations but as far as the 1/6 committee goes the Republicans are powerless.

We're totally going to get some moronic 1776 Committee or something to investigate the 1/6 Committee.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
We're totally going to get some moronic 1776 Committee or something to investigate the 1/6 Committee.
Haha, sad but true. I have no doubt it will conclude that the 1/6 committee was an underhanded, partisan effort to smear Republicans and Donald Trump by having...[checks notes]...Donald Trump's staff testify.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
And then we’ll be graced with countless hearings on Hunter Biden, Garland, etc.
It would be a fun bet on if there will be more total days of hearings on Benghazi or Hunter Biden.

If you guys thought the Republican House under Obama was bad you better buckle up. It’s going to be a non stop clown show of government shutdowns, insane investigations, and performative legislation. Defund the FBI? Sure! Donate the White House to Trump so he can live there again? Why not?

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
It would be a fun bet on if there will be more total days of hearings on Benghazi or Hunter Biden.

If you guys thought the Republican House under Obama was bad you better buckle up. It’s going to be a non stop clown show of government shutdowns, insane investigations, and performative legislation. Defund the FBI? Sure! Donate the White House to Trump so he can live there again? Why not?

Oh, yes. We are going to get some wackiness. Mainly I expect non-stop impeachments. They are going to impeach Biden for everything they don't like. They have already submitted a bill to impeach him for Hunter having a job, and are saying that they intend to impeach him for asking Saudi Arabia to delay oil production cuts. This is just the tip of the shit iceberg they will toss out to impeach Biden. MTG actually filed 14 impeachment resolutions this year. And it's not just Biden, the GOP is promising to impeach several Cabinet members as well, most notably Secretary of Homeland Security Mayorkas, but also AG Garland and Secretary of State Anthony Blinken. Yeah, it is going to get silly.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Oh, yes. We are going to get some wackiness. Mainly I expect non-stop impeachments. They are going to impeach Biden for everything they don't like. They have already submitted a bill to impeach him for Hunter having a job, and are saying that they intend to impeach him for asking Saudi Arabia to delay oil production cuts. This is just the tip of the shit iceberg they will toss out to impeach Biden. MTG actually filed 14 impeachment resolutions this year. And it's not just Biden, the GOP is promising to impeach several Cabinet members as well, most notably Secretary of Homeland Security Mayorkas, but also AG Garland and Secretary of State Anthony Blinken. Yeah, it is going to get silly.
Guess it depends on what their goal is. If their goal is to weaken Biden the endless impeachments are probably a bad idea. I would bet he comes out of them stronger. If your goal is to trivialize impeachment so it can never be used again I guess that would work better but impeachment already doesn't work so who cares.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Guess it depends on what their goal is. If their goal is to weaken Biden the endless impeachments are probably a bad idea. I would bet he comes out of them stronger. If your goal is to trivialize impeachment so it can never be used again I guess that would work better but impeachment already doesn't work so who cares.
If they take the House they will already have crippled Biden's administration. Their goal will be to produce soundbites and to generate the 'bothsides' proof they need to be able to blow off any impeachment attempts in the future. They are not really worried about impeachment working or not, it is about them promoting their propaganda that it is just another political tool bothsides use to harass the sitting President.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Speaking of total days, CNN had a fluff piece yesterday. Biden has almost spent 1/4 of his term at his home in Delaware. Really dumb media, what’s wrong going home for the weekend? It’s a secure place. He can do the same job there or at the WH. At least he’s not milking SS for over $1000 a night like some other former president. But wonder if Faux picked up the story?

Reactions: dank69

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Speaking of total days, CNN had a fluff piece yesterday. Biden has almost spent 1/4 of his term at his home in Delaware. Really dumb media, what’s wrong going home for the weekend? It’s a secure place. He can do the same job there or at the WH. At least he’s not milking SS for over $1000 a night like some other former president. But wonder if Faux picked up the story?
But 2/7 is such hard math!!

Reactions: dank69

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
If they take the House they will already have crippled Biden's administration. Their goal will be to produce soundbites and to generate the 'bothsides' proof they need to be able to blow off any impeachment attempts in the future. They are not really worried about impeachment working or not, it is about them promoting their propaganda that it is just another political tool bothsides use to harass the sitting President.
Sure, if they take the House then no legislation gets passed for two years and they will spend this time alternating between making bad headlines for Biden and humiliating themselves. Often both at the same time!

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
CNN is going back to showing its true self. Anything for a story.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

AFAIK he mostly flies Marine One to get there anyway so it's not like they're firing up the 747s at Andrews all the time. He'd probably take Amtrak but the secret service won't let him.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Yeah, weekends in DE aren't nearly the same as golfing every other day on your own resorts while charging SS 5x the approved govt rate for rooms. All projection ...

As far as republican investigations, don't underestimate the amount of hearings they'll have trying to get Dr. Fauci the federal death penalty. He might as well reserve office space in the building for as much as he'll be there.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

CNN will now be leaning more to the right with their new owner.