HOT + YMMV : Dell 4500 Still alive for ~ $400 after coupon and MIR need to call in ... !!!

jimmyhaha

Platinum Member
Jan 7, 2001
disclaimer : YMMV.......

anyone have 4500 comment on built quality and how dell handle the rebate ?

score 1 after quite a lot of work !!!

continue from this thread...

p4 1.8G / 40G HD / Geforce MX / Integrated sound / No NIC and modem

[stupid printout snap by digicam ~ 1Mb each]
http://pics.paulsonator.com/users/jimmyhaha/p1.jpg

http://pics.paulsonator.com/users/jimmyhaha/p2.jpg

call this sales or who ever u want...
= Gregory Apel

be prepared to on hold for more than 20 MIN !!!

Sales Point of Contact: CHAZ GARRETT
Email Address: BSD_On-line_Order@dell.com
Phone: 877-284-3355 ext:61843

he is off now, u can call him tomorrow..

*Sales Tax: $30.35
Shipping and/or Handling: $0.00
Total Order Amount: $506.45

Qty Part # Abbreviated Description
--- -------- ---------------------------------------------
1 221-0719 Dimension 4500 Series Intel Pentium 4 Processor at 1.8GHz
1 311-1280 128MB DDR SDRAM at 266MHz
1 310-1582 Dell Quiet Key Keyboard
1 320-3000 Video ready option w/o monitor
1 320-0476 64MB GeForce4 MX Graphics Card with TV-Out
1 340-3588 40GB ATA-100 7200 RPM
1 340-1927 3.5in Floppy Drive
1 420-3079 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition,English
1 412-0189 Dell Support 1.2,Dimension
1 313-7222 Dell Application Back-up CD, Factory Install
1 310-2757 Microsoft Intellimouse
1 430-0591 No Network Card Requested, Dell Dimension
1 313-3607 No modem requested for Dell Dimension
1 313-2561 48X Max Variable CD-ROM Drive
1 313-0847 Integrated ADI 1885 Audio
1 313-4514 No Speaker Requested
1 412-0259 Symantec Norton Antivirus 2002OEM Package,English,90 Day Trial Version
1 412-0246 Dell Jukebox powered by MusicMatch
1 412-0271 Dell Picture Studio Image Expert Standard,Dimension
1 412-0273 Dell Picture Studio Paint ShopPro Try and Buy,Dimension
1 412-0280 AOL 7.0 Factory Install for US BSD
1 412-0133 MS Worksuite 2002,CD with Documentation,OEM,US,English Dimension
1 950-1230 Type 3 Contract - Next Business Day Parts and Labor On-Site Response, Initial Year
1 950-9797 No Warranty, Year 2 and 3
1 461-5534 Thank you for buying Dell

have fun and good luck..

claffeyb

Mar 26, 2001
Hey man, yours looks geat! But I'm perplexed as well.

I placed an order late on the 24th and want to try to change it to what you have. I have another sitting in my cart just like yours, only you show $100 off Dimension 4500 instead of $50, in addition to the free shipping and 10% off as a valued Small Business member. How the $100 vice $50?

Mine ends up as:

Sub-total $629
Discounts -$107.90
Shipping $99
Shipping Discount -$99
Tax $23.44
Total $544.54

plus $100 mail-in rebate

Help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
He's saying get on the phone and talk to that rep to ask for the additional discount. Sounds shaky to me.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: claffeyb
Hey man, yours looks geat! But I'm perplexed as well.

I placed an order late on the 24th and want to try to change it to what you have. I have another sitting in my cart just like yours, only you show $100 off Dimension 4500 instead of $50, in addition to the free shipping and 10% off as a valued Small Business member. How the $100 vice $50?

Mine ends up as:

Sub-total $629
Discounts -$107.90
Shipping $99
Shipping Discount -$99
Tax $23.44
Total $544.54

plus $100 mail-in rebate

Help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow that's a nice deal.

claffeyb

Mar 26, 2001
Well I've run this config through more times than I'd like to admit. If I recall, having onboard sound often uses more CPU cycles, so I opted for the premium SB Live instead. Then, knowing that most initial install conflicts arise from sound cards and NICs, I opted to have the NIC tossed in so that the config issues are Dell's responsibility. Since I don't need the 40G drive when I have several 120GB drives, I dumbed it down to a value 20GB.

I was curious how much the SB Live vice onboard would cost so I ran the numbers. The above change of my clone of jimmyhaha's config added $28.24 more - the breakdown is $40 less (40GB hard drive added $20 and 20GB value subtracts $20), $20 more for having a NIC, and by having the SB Live card instead of onboard, which means that the SB Live actually adds $48.24 to my config. Yikes! They don't tell you that when you chose premium instead of onboard.

Well any way, that ends up what I already ordered the other day so I can't see really benefitting from any "new deal". The "new" deal, without customer rep intervention, would be $572.78 with a $100 rebate. The old deal I made but hasn't completely gone through yet, is $578.53, with a free Palm M105 and a free upgraded 24x/10x/40x CD-RW Drive. I also paid $5 more for shipping. I will sell the M105 on ebay instead of getting the $100 rebate, and be happy with the cdrw drive. Too bad I missed the extra $50 off jimmyhaha got! :)

Now the question is, why do all the configs default to AOL instead of 6 Month Dellnet® by MSN Internet Access for XP - and what the heck is Dellnet any way? I dislike AOL so much because of the way the software goofs with the OS that I chose Dellnet even though I wouldn't use either (have cable and cable modem).

Order detail - order placed 7/24/02 9:56:02 PM

Dimension? 4500, Pentium® 4 Processor at 1.8GHz w/ 512K L2 Cache Qty: 1 Unit Price: 659.00
Memory 128MB DDR SDRAM
Keyboard Dell® Quietkey® Keyboard
Monitors No Monitor
Video Cards New 64MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce4? MX Graphics Card with TV-Out
Hard Drive 20GB Value Hard Drive
Floppy Drive 3.5 in Floppy Drive
Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Mouse MS IntelliMouse®
Broadband Ready/ Ethernet Network Card 10/100 PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
Modem No Modem Requested
CD or DVD Drive FREE UPGRADE! 24x/10x/40x CD-RW Drive
Sound Card SB Live! Digital Sound Card
Speakers No Speaker Option
Software Bundles Microsoft® Works Suite 2002 w/Money Standard
Digital Photography Dell Picture Studio, Image Expert Standard
Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options 1 Year Limited Warranty plus 1 Year On-site Service
Internet Access Service 6 Month Dellnet® by MSN Internet Access for XP
Special Offers Free Palm m105! ($149 retail value)

Sub-Total $659.00
Discount -$110.90
Shipping $104.50
Shipping Discount -$99.00
Estimated Tax $24.93
Total Price $578.53

thetaz

Aug 29, 2001
dellnet = MSN internet access, when you first boot up the computer you will have the option to register for 6 months of it free!

Even if you want to do AOL, you will have the option to take dellnet when you go through first time system setup. They put an AOL CD in the software box that they give you so you can install that and use AOL instead (I don't know why you would want to do that though, MSN is going to offer better speeds on dial-up for those who still use modems). In other words - it doesnt matter which one you select, they are not changing any config options on their end to the best of my knowledge.

broadwayblue

Golden Member
Nov 1, 1999
where do you select the option where dell can keep all their (and aol's) crappy internet software from mucking up every other folder on your new system? really, i'd almost pay more for them to just not install any of that crap. you can never get rid of it all...short of formatting the hard drive.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
broadwayblue - I'm afraid reformatting the hard drive is the only way to get all the bloatware and dell imbedded crap off your hard drive.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: broadwayblue
where do you select the option where dell can keep all their (and aol's) crappy internet software from mucking up every other folder on your new system? really, i'd almost pay more for them to just not install any of that crap. you can never get rid of it all...short of formatting the hard drive.

dell gets paid to put that on there, its not coming off.

Snyder81

Jan 20, 2000
So with the system I ordered, is it possible for me to give the 6 months of AOL free to my girlfriends family or is it tied into my name? Quite frankly, I don't want either service, but I'd like the 6 months free to go to the gf's fam because they already pay for AOL every month. Anyone have the steps necessary to allow them to use it instead of me?

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Snyder81 - From what I understand it is possible. First you need to login and register to AOL using YOUR name, address and cc info. After your account has been established you contact AOL customer service and ask them to change the ownership of the account from you to whomever esp the cc they have on file, otherwise after the initial 6 free months your cc will be charged instead of theirs.

This is how I gave a friend 6 free months of AOL service when I bought my last Dell.

Snyder81

Jan 20, 2000
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Snyder81 - From what I understand it is possible. First you need to login and register to AOL using YOUR name, address and cc info. After your account has been established you contact AOL customer service and ask them to change the ownership of the account from you to whomever esp the cc they have on file, otherwise after the initial 6 free months your cc will be charged instead of theirs.

This is how I gave a friend 6 free months of AOL service when I bought my last Dell.

Sweet Rossman, thanks! Now, do my friends have to be "new" AOL subscribers? e.g. If her dad's credit card is being billed for their current AOL account, do I need to have her mom's CC info for the new account? Should I cancel their account first?

Dhruv

May 15, 2001
guyz, post the deal ya got and how ya got to it. esp. the ppl with the 4500 not 4500s thanks.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Snyder81 - That's a good question, just to be safe I would cancel their account ... if you're not able to transfer your free 6 mo AOL promo to your g/f's father then transfer it to her, all she needs is a cc or transfer it to one of her siblings or her mother or aunt or someone, anyone.

Nova13

Jul 4, 2001
you need to use a different credit card when you transfer back to your gf's account else it wont work. Cause my gfusesthe 6 months and then cancels and uses another cd to get 6 monthsmroe after she pays that base price thingy. Problem is she has to use a different credit card everytime else it doesnt' wrok.

HarryK

Jul 27, 2001
Snyder81 - From what I understand it is possible. First you need to login and register to AOL using YOUR name, address and cc info.

Really?? Is there something built into the AOL registration program that knows your name from anybody elses?
I mean, how does AOL know the name of the person who bought the computer?
How do they know that the computer wasn't purchased by a household and only the mother or father (or whoever) has the credit card?
Are you saying that if I bought a Dell for my parents, they wouldn't be able to sign up for the free AOL? I'd have to sign up and transfer everything to them????

After your account has been established you contact AOL customer service and ask them to change the ownership of the account from you to whomever esp the cc they have on file, otherwise after the initial 6 free months your cc will be charged instead of theirs.

Seems like a lot of trouble. Even if (for some reason) you HAVE to sign up with your name and your CC (and you can't just sign up with the name/CC of the person who will actually be using the AOL), couldn't you just use a one-time CC code and just give the login/password to your friend???

claffeyb

Mar 26, 2001
I sent dell an email this morning:

When I run through my config now, my shipping shows as $99 instead of $104.50. Am I paying $5 more because of the free M105? Also, I would prefer to get the current $100 rebate deal instead of the $149 valued M105, and since my order has not gone through yet, I would like to know if I need to cancel and redo order to change the M105 for $100 rebate.

Also, why do the configs always default to AOL? AOL always messes with computer system configurations and has to be one of the biggest causes of trouble calls from all friends, family, coworkers and relatives besides sound cards and NICs. Why the low key Dellnet approach? Personally, I'd rather have neither since I have a cable modem and a VPN through my work. Dellnet isn't going to mess with my system by being on there?

Why is the Dell Picture Studio included? I'm not ordering a scanner or digital camera.

Hmm, I think I've answered a couple of my own questions. AOL MSN and Shutterfly are Dell partners! ??

Of course, I haven't heard back from them. I think I will call them up to see if I can get another $5 off shipping and $100 rebate vice M105.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: HarryK
Snyder81 - From what I understand it is possible. First you need to login and register to AOL using YOUR name, address and cc info.

Really?? Is there something built into the AOL registration program that knows your name from anybody elses?
I mean, how does AOL know the name of the person who bought the computer?
How do they know that the computer wasn't purchased by a household and only the mother or father (or whoever) has the credit card?
Are you saying that if I bought a Dell for my parents, they wouldn't be able to sign up for the free AOL? I'd have to sign up and transfer everything to them????

After your account has been established you contact AOL customer service and ask them to change the ownership of the account from you to whomever esp the cc they have on file, otherwise after the initial 6 free months your cc will be charged instead of theirs.

Seems like a lot of trouble. Even if (for some reason) you HAVE to sign up with your name and your CC (and you can't just sign up with the name/CC of the person who will actually be using the AOL), couldn't you just use a one-time CC code and just give the login/password to your friend???

I honestly don't know for sure. If the AOL promo code isn't tied to your name/address/cc then I guess you can just give it to anyone as long as they're a new customer. Just to be safe I'd call AOL customer service and ask them since they would know for sure.

GetReal

Golden Member
Mar 30, 2001
FYi - The free AOL promo is tied to the service tag of your Dell unit and not the buyer's name. When you sign up, they ask you for the one time promo code on the back of the AOL welcome kit and your service tag. I don't know if they actually verify the service tag to the owner at some later date. We purchase a lot of Dell computers and I always give the AOL promos to employees and we have never had any problems AOL rejecting anyone who signed up using one of those AOl promos that we recevied from Dell.

Dell is fast, the 2Ghz P4 4500 system that I ordeed yesterday when this deal was first posted has already shipped. For $385.10 after the $100 MIR you can't go wrong.:)

HarryK

Jul 27, 2001
Originally posted by: GetReal
FYi - The free AOL promo is tied to the service tag of your Dell unit and not the buyer's name. When you sign up, they ask you for the one time promo code on the back of the AOL welcome kit and your service tag. I don't know if they actually verify the service tag to the owner at some later date. We purchase a lot of Dell computers and I always give the AOL promos to employees and we have never had any problems AOL rejecting anyone who signed up using one of those AOl promos that we recevied from Dell.

Thanks for the insight GetReal. I thought it would be odd if only the person who specifically paid for the Dell would be the only person who could sign up for the AOL.

JJordan

Golden Member
Dec 27, 1999
My last 2 Dell's are VERY SLOW on teh rebates. Mailed 5/03/2002. Still not here. &*%#$*%^#*$@*^% :|

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: JJordan
My last 2 Dell's are VERY SLOW on teh rebates. Mailed 5/03/2002. Still not here. &*%#$*%^#*$@*^% :|

I read another post where it took about 3 - 3.5 months to get their rebate, so I'll expect mine around Thanksgiving :(