HOT! Trade in 2 DVDs get LOTR FREE at EB

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Santan

Oct 23, 1999
Well

Just did the deal...the 2 DVDs
Good Guys Wear Black and House on Haunted Hills

For those of you looking for DVDs to trade
Best Buy has Good Guys Wear Black and Pacific Heights both are acceptable and both are 5.99...

Additional Info
Its the Widescreen Version...Pick up on August 6th and the promotion is only on pre-orders...

Just FYI

sheltem

May 18, 2000
Well when your trading in two movies for LOTR, excercise some common sense... For instance don't try in 2 movies that you just bought for $19.99 yesterday... Like everyone else, I'm going to trade in crap i got for free like stepmom and lost in space ;P

Fiend

Nov 8, 2000
Originally posted by: Santan
Well

Just did the deal...the 2 DVDs
Good Guys Wear Black and House on Haunted Hills

For those of you looking for DVDs to trade
Best Buy has Good Guys Wear Black and Pacific Heights both are acceptable and both are 5.99...

Additional Info
Its the Widescreen Version...Pick up on August 6th and the promotion is only on pre-orders...

Just FYI

Don't forget to look for the Warcraft III Savings Guide (this is a coupon booklet in the PC Games section). It has a coupon for $2 off any regular price DVD. I used it to get Mad City ($5.99 - $2) and used that as one of my trades at EB....

cdub

May 31, 2002
The EB at Hilltop Mall (Bay Area, CA) is doing this deal, the manager was very nice about it... however, they couldn't take my copy of "The Terror." Actually, I wasn't surprised at all. Just an FYI for anyone in the area.

oddice

Feb 3, 2002
in reference to the posting on dvdtalk, it stated that no Anime is accepted - local Eb store in Fairfax, VA would accept anime
also, they showed me paperwork that stated it was the FULLscreen not widescreen version.

I still did it anyways and plan on exchanging it elsewhere for the fullscreen version

cdub

May 31, 2002
OK, I was able to do this at Hilltop EB... "Road Trip" and "Top Gun" taken no problem. Also, the manager there confirmed it was the Widescreen, and claimed that his EB doesn't sell Fullscreen movies. You can believe that or not. ;)

oddice

Feb 3, 2002
I hope you're right about it being widescreen,
btw, I traded in Home Fries and The Bachelor (which rang up for $2 and $1 respectively)

also, someone mentioned either here or on dvdtalk about how much their dvds were listed for on their receipt - they're misunderstanding how this works. The employee explained to me that regardless of the trade in value, they have to adjust the price on the two dvds to match the cost of LOTR. So he changed Home Fries to $15.99 and The Bachelor to $8.00. I picked up both earlier in the day at Best Buy for $5.99 each.

Also, he told me that they aren't accepting National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon (which is also $5.99 at Best Buy)

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
I traded in Mummy Returns (fullscreen) and Robocop, no prob. The deal extends into Aug, forgot if it ends on the 3rd or 6th.

Heinrich

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2001
Today I took in that AWFUL Hamlet remake with Ethan Hawke and that awful artsy-fartsy Pulp Fiction and got a receipt for Lord of the Rings widescreen showing that I had already paid for it! The flier says "FULL SCREEN" but the manager already has them in the back and they are all widescreen thank goodness. He can't let them out of the store though (sigh.) He let me hold one (sob).

Oh and by the way this is the ONLY way to get the theatrical release. The version in November - the extended version - will NOT have this theatrical cut on it.

Before you gripe and whine about this as some of you are prone to do :-], it's not that bad really if you add the two prices together for a collectors edition with two different movies and tons and tons of extras.

govikes

Jul 9, 2001
Thank god for the EB turn-in!! I was able to unload Any Given Sunday (promo version) and Pi (a movie I thought many times while watching, "I should just turn this off", but kept thinking it was going to get better. Another 2 hours of my life wasted!). The salesperson at my EB "confirmed" they only get WS versions, so I'm a happy camper!

joe678

Platinum Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: sheltem
Well when your trading in two movies for LOTR, excercise some common sense... For instance don't try in 2 movies that you just bought for $19.99 yesterday... Like everyone else, I'm going to trade in crap i got for free like stepmom and lost in space ;P

yea 2 crappy dvds is worth it for lotr...

Willsc

Nov 17, 2001
I did the deal at the Merritt Island, Fl. store. The flyer showed the full screen version so I asked about it and the salesperson said they didn't know what format it would come in. I'm hopeing for the Widescreen version myself. Unloaded "Get Shorty" and "Risky Business" which were free with the DVD player.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Hey!!! My local Babbages is doing the deal for 3 DVD's. WTF???

No problem: Gave them "The Mothman Prophicies", "Fools Rush In", and "Blair Witch Project". Total trade in value was like $11.00. heheheheheh. Two weren't even unwrapped---I got them for gifts and ended up seeing them at other places. They were so bad I never took the wrapping off.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Originally posted by: mriches
Am I the only one here who considers one DVD for the price of two to Not be a "hot deal?"

Uh, yeah , I think you are. I jumped on 2 $5.99 disc at Best Buy then went to EB and made the trade. Where else are you going to get LOTR for 12 bucks?

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
I did this at the Valley Fair mall in San Jose. Gave 'em Scary Movie and Action Jackson. I wish they took a couple others instead but they weren't on their eligible list. That's OK because I would have thrown in Scary Movie as an extra anyway.

MJGunn

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2001
Actually, for everyone spending $12 on new dvds to trade in to EB, you might as well not bother. Looks like BB has it on sale this week for 15.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: chjode
Babbages is doing this, too? That makes it even more conveinent for me.

Babbages=EB=Barnes&Noble=FuncoLand. They're all the same owner.