Hong Kong.... Fighting for democracy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 25, 2013
How can the Hong Kongers be surprised at the way China is responding? It's not like the Chicoms have a long history of accepting protests...or caving to their demands.

Who says that they are surprised. The protestors seem to understand exactly what's going on and why.

Nov 25, 2013
Is China about to roll in on Hong Kong?
I mean when Putin can get away with Crimea and continue to finger Ukraine on the eastern front ... I guess China taking Hong Kong is small potatoes.
Right?

You do understand that Hong Kong is legally China (special status or no) unlike the Ukraine being a sovereign country. The situations really have no comparison.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
You do understand that Hong Kong is legally China (special status or no) unlike the Ukraine being a sovereign country. The situations really have no comparison.

Yes I do .. and that is why its small potatoes next to Crimea?

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Well it means that somehow, impossibly, that Democrats will have found someone to run and lose in 2020 that was even worse than Hillary Clinton in 2016. We would be "somewhere much worse" if our choices in 2020 are even more horrendous than last go-around, which I quite frankly think is impossible and akin to developing a machine that cools objects below absolute zero temperature.

I can agree with some of what you're positing here.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I mean when Putin can get away with Crimea and continue to finger Ukraine on the eastern front ... I guess China taking Hong Kong is small potatoes.
Right?
Why would China take what is already theirs?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Personally I think that the British Government should have refuse to hand over Hong Kong to Communist China as the original treaty was made with the Emperors of China back during the 19th century.

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
Right?

IMO no, China is not going to roll in on HK. TS is not going to happen in HK. And it is because you're right, HK is a small potatoes but it is small potatoes that you save for next growing season. China don't need the $$ from HK but 1. HK represent the modern China still 2. China need HK to get Taiwan.

someone16

Dec 18, 2003
America needs to sit up and take notice.
Hong Kong are fighting for their democracy and freedom while over here Donald Trump is hell bent on taking away our democracy and freedom.
Take note of Hong Kong and what the end result looks like when democracy is under attack.
People are very upset, riots, the incredible protests to get their democracy back.
Lets just hope that Americans will wake up before it is too late, and our citizen must resort to protesting and riots in the street.
You don't want Donald Trump to take away your freedom and democracy and leave America no choice but to respond in th same way as those over in Hong Kong.
Our big mistake would be sleeping, ignoring, and not caring until its too late for us too.
And that is exactly where we are headed.

Technically Hong Kong never had democracy. Also do understand western media do have bias in reporting as well and there are two sides to everything. Believe it or not Hong Kong has been peaceful and hasn't changed much after the takeover.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Personally I think that the British Government should have refuse to hand over Hong Kong to Communist China as the original treaty was made with the Emperors of China back during the 19th century.

Why?

The British lived up to the agreement they made, just as we all should.

From the Wiki:

"In 1898, the British and Chinese governments signed the Second Convention of Peking, which included a 99-year lease agreement for the islands surrounding Hong Kong, called the "New Territories." The lease awarded control of more than 200 surrounding small islands to the British. In return, China got a promise that the islands would be returned to it after 99 years.

On December 19, 1984, British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher and Chinese Premier Zhao Ziyang signed the Sino-British Joint Declaration, in which Britain agreed to return not only the New Territories but also Kowloon and Hong Kong itself when the lease term expired.

China promised to implement a "One Country, Two Systems" regime, under which for fifty years Hong Kong citizens could continue to practice capitalism and political freedoms forbidden on the mainland."

And a timeline:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-pacific-16526765

Nov 25, 2013

The Brits certainly had no intention/will to fight the Chinese for the place. A treaty had been made and it was kept.

And I feel mightily for the folks in Hong Kong who are dreading the final takeover in a few more years. And I salute the protestors who are fighting a fight they can not win and who know that they can't win.

This may well be Hong Kong's last shout before it's finally absorbed into the mainland. I fear that it won't end well for Hong Kong.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
How about the west begins an asylum program for our fellow free brothers and sisters?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Why?

The British lived up to the agreement they made, just as we all should.

From the Wiki:

"In 1898, the British and Chinese governments signed the Second Convention of Peking, which included a 99-year lease agreement for the islands surrounding Hong Kong, called the "New Territories." The lease awarded control of more than 200 surrounding small islands to the British. In return, China got a promise that the islands would be returned to it after 99 years.

On December 19, 1984, British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher and Chinese Premier Zhao Ziyang signed the Sino-British Joint Declaration, in which Britain agreed to return not only the New Territories but also Kowloon and Hong Kong itself when the lease term expired.

China promised to implement a "One Country, Two Systems" regime, under which for fifty years Hong Kong citizens could continue to practice capitalism and political freedoms forbidden on the mainland."

And a timeline:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-pacific-16526765
OK I didn't know about the 1984 agreement and I thought that the 1898 Treaty was still in effect.

Reactions: pcgeek11

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Well it means that somehow, impossibly, that Democrats will have found someone to run and lose in 2020 that was even worse than Hillary Clinton in 2016. We would be "somewhere much worse" if our choices in 2020 are even more horrendous than last go-around, which I quite frankly think is impossible and akin to developing a machine that cools objects below absolute zero temperature.

so you still believe this is all the democrats' fault?

you quislings and your stupidity is just so goddamn unrelenting.

anyway....this is about HK terror from the right. Not US incompetence from the right.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Sad little Glenn1, cant comprehend that compared to Trump, Hillary would have been his best friend.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005

Didn't have a choice

https://www.scmp.com/article/48108/thatcher-reveals-dengs-threat-seize-hong-kong-day

DENG Xiaoping threatened China could seize Hong Kong in a day, former British prime minister Lady Thatcher has revealed.
The threat by the Chinese patriarch was contained in his famous warning that Beijing might take back the territory before 1997 at their September 1982 meeting in the Great Hall of the People, Lady Thatcher says in her memoirs, The Downing Street Years, to be published tomorrow.
The threat is being used to try to block Governor Chris Patten's moves towards greater democracy in Hong Kong.

''He said that the Chinese could walk in and take Hong Kong back later today if they wanted to,'' says Lady Thatcher. ''I retorted that they could indeed do so; I could not stop them. But this would bring about Hong Kong's collapse. The world would then see what followed a change from British to Chinese rule.'' The memoirs - already the subject of controversy in Britain due to her harsh attacks on former cabinet ministers - also reveal the former prime minister wanted to bring Hong Kong to self-government, considered introducing regular referendums and made a previously undisclosed attempt to persuade Beijing to allow more democracy in 1984.
She admits, for the first time, feeling ''depressed'' after agreeing to abandon all administrative links between Britain and Hong Kong after 1997.

And in the rest of the article it reveals the great miscalculation that the belief of “democracy thru free markets” was and should have been realized right after the Tienanmen massacre but thanks to western greed looking for new slave workers and Chinese need to acquire western technology and know how it was disregarded and here we are today, no Democracy but an economic and military powerhouse with the same totalitarian atitude,

While you can ridicule Trump on national TV like Saturday night live does, over in China just comparing their leader to Winnie the pooh can get you in big trouble.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/18/15993136/winnie-the-pooh-china-ban-censorship-xi-jinping-lol

So much for democracy thru free markets but as long as Americans get their cheap products they don't care, just don't expect them to work under the same conditions for their entitled cheap prices, they might get triggered.

Democracy thru free markets, right up there with trickle down and free trade deals, and we are all paying the price for it now and it's only going to get worse.
However, Lady Thatcher predicts economic change on the mainland will lead to political reform: ''The Chinese belief that the benefits of a liberal economic system can be had without a liberal political system seems to me false in the long term.'' Lady Thatcher's description of her meeting with Mr Deng differs from a recently released Chinese account, which quotes the patriarch as only making the more indirect threat that Beijing would ''reconsider the timing and manner of the takeover'' in the event of serious disturbances before 1997.

Reactions: cytg111

oslama

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2001
If they dont like it they can go back to their colonial master. They should have when the lease ended.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
One country, two systems. Limited time arrangement. Guess it had to end sometime.

Western Civilization needs to get off its collective ass and implement trade policy to better reflect its values. If we do not enjoy slavery. If we view ourselves as better than the Romans, the Confederacy, or the German Nazis. Then we must employ our strength to influence others for the betterment of mankind. To use what we have, to do what we can, to ensure human rights for as many people as we can reach.

This necessarily means making trade dependent on meeting certain humanitarian requirements.

It means creating a great divide in the world. A trade barrier between allies and foes. And to tell our "allies" that friends do not let friends take Hong Kong.

The human right of self determination should be one of the pillars of western civilization. And we should guard that right lest we lose it ourselves.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
One country, two systems. Limited time arrangement. Guess it had to end sometime.

Western Civilization needs to get off its collective ass and implement trade policy to better reflect its values. If we do not enjoy slavery. If we view ourselves as better than the Romans, the Confederacy, or the German Nazis. Then we must employ our strength to influence others for the betterment of mankind. To use what we have, to do what we can, to ensure human rights for as many people as we can reach.

This necessarily means making trade dependent on meeting certain humanitarian requirements.

It means creating a great divide in the world. A trade barrier between allies and foes. And to tell our "allies" that friends do not let friends take Hong Kong.

The human right of self determination should be one of the pillars of western civilization. And we should guard that right lest we lose it ourselves.

The west just tried to sanction Russia into submission over human rights, freedom and democracy .. look how that worked out, Putin bought out the GOP, cause capitalism and FYGM. Democracy stands to fall. We are loosing.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008

Unfortunately, people will have to choose between wanting cheap shit or supporting human rights for people that are on the other side of the globe. Sadly, cheap shit wins out every time.