HomeGroup replacement?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JoeBleed

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2000
to reset it, you'd have to un/recheck what ever you changed. failing that, you'd have to remove the users you added and re-add them. But only do that to users/groups you created not any default account.

Did it tell you which file or directory you got the error for? were you trying to copy some system files/folder?

In windows 7, i'd have to check a windows 10 box, the default accounts listed in a base install for file security are Authenticated users, System, Administrators, and Users. If you opt to remove a whole account, make sure you don't mess with these.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
When it was applying new security, i was given error message about changing some files located in game folders, and the test folder I was transferring was for game save data.

JoeBleed

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2000
that could have been a file lock issue; but it's hard to say. I've run into issues changing file rights and moving files on some files either because of file locks or some odd ball rights already assigned. usually from some special content that was copied from a disk to a network share.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
When it was applying new security, i was given error message about changing some files located in game folders, and the test folder I was transferring was for game save data.

Have you tried my tip I left earlier in the thread? That seems to consistently help with network file share issues, and also checking that SMB v1 and v2 are enabled in Win 10.

JoeBleed

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2000
also checking that SMB v1 and v2 are enabled in Win 10.

No, please don't ever enable smb v1 anymore. it's been bad for several years now. especially for windows 10. windows 10 supports smb 3. so on a nas or desktops, if you have older gear, smb 2-3 is where it should be set. if you only have win 10 smb 3 should be the minimum.