Holy Crap! Disney is EXPENSIVE

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rpanic

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2006
Disney Land + weekend = ungodly crowds and headaches, you couldn?t pay me to go.

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Originally posted by: sohcrates
WOW

Just got back from the Disney Wedding.

I remember Disney being such a magical place when i was younger. i guess it still is, but man oh man do they take advantage of you

Things i noticed which make me angry

1) biometric fingerprint authorization at park entrances (so you cant share a multi-day pass). big brother?

2) Food was TERRIBLE. maybe it's because i *know* what a $85 dinner for two should taste like. Breakfasts averages $11-12 for like a waffle. Ridiculous.

3) No sidewalks anywhere. They force you to basically take a car or bus everywhere. buses are horribly overcrowded.

4) Rides have basically become excuses to put up a gift shop. i feel like over 1/2 of the theme parks are now basically disney "shopping malls"

5) service. again, i travel a lot so i know what 3-4 star hotels and $$$ restaurants should get you. don't get me wrong, people seem friendly, but the service was quite sub-par in just about every aspect of the trip.

6) waiting in line. i had to wait in line for breakfast. for lunch. for rides. i paid $71 to get into a park and had to wait hours just to get on 3 or 4 rides. then waiting in line for a bus. then i couldn't even get a dinner reservation till like 10 pm at night.

7) this is not a vacation it is a "trip". all the parents looked stressed out and exhausted. plus, the hotel encourages you to let your kids use their room key as a credit card! when we checked out and "only" had a few hundred dollars in charges, the hotel worker was surprised. i can see family's dropping thousands here. it is so overpriced!

8) oh yeah, and TOLL ROADS to the airport. $11 to park at parks if you dont stay on disney property. and NO FREE INTERNET at disney hotels. they really do nickel and dime you.

I really think disney has lost it's way, but based on the crowds, no one else realizes it....

/that is all

1) used be two fingers, based on bone strructure. ever see people trying to get the triangles to line up correctly? It slowed things down immensely when someone couldn't get their fingers in correctly. Am I thrilled about the finger print? No, but as long as they are tying it to the pass only, I guess I'm okay with it.

2) Dinsey food is outstanding at the restaurants. I'm not sure where you ate, but if yuo really paid $12 for a waffle when a full breakfast buffet could be had for $20...well, enough said. I highly recommend breakfast at the Crystal Palace in Magic Kingdom.

3) There are sidewalks all over the place. what are you talking about? Each resort has numerous sidewalks. If you are referring to a way to walk from the Polynesian to the Magic Kingdom, why would you want to when the Monorail is there? If you are trying to walk to another park, umm...do you realize how far away they are?

4) Many rides do exit into a themed gift shop, but not all. I agree they do this to sell merchandise, but it also keeps people from standing at an exit waiting for their family/friends on the ride. That looks extremely tacky, and besides...with the florida sun--wouldn't you rather wait inside in the a/c instead of getting heat stroke? (Universal and other theme parks also do this, btw)

5) Disney wins awards for their service. if they can do something for their guests, they do. A few years ago we were eating dinner at a buffet and I made a special request for their cheesecake with strawberry sauce instead of the chocolate sauce they were serving. Within minutes my wife and I had the desset delivered to or table. That's not much, but it is the small details that makes Disney special.

6) Use Fast Pass. Everywhere you go will have lines. What are you expecting? The park to be rented to only you? :confused:

7) If you want to let your kids use the room key as a credit card, feel free. i would not do this, personally. However, that is a convenience factor. you can certainly disable the feature if you choose not to use it. And with all there is to see and do, of COURSE the parents are going to be exhausted. Most people do not travel to Disney very often, so trying to cram as much "Mickey" into a short visit is bound to make everyone Goofy! For some, WDW is a once in a lifetime trip. When I was growing up, we went 3 times -- once in '76, I think, once in '80 or so, and once when in '88. There is so much to see and do, you can't possibly do it all in a week, 2 weeks or even a month. I go at least once a year, and I still don't see everything because there is always something new, something that has changed, etc.

8) How can you blame toll roads to the airport on Disney? Should I complain about the state of NJ because of the tolls I would have to pay to get to NYC? Ever driven the NJ Turnpike? what about the bridges and tunnels going in/out of NYC? What about the tolls on the Atlantic City expressway? This rant just is not valid at all.

Disney is not for everyone--I understand this. but I don't think all of your arguments are necessarily fair.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Ya, it's a lot. There is no place like Disney though. There is nothing quite like taking your kid there for the first time too. I've spent much more money than what Disney costs on other crap which doesn't come close to comparison in satisfaction than seeing your kid's face when he first sees that Castle off in the distance :)

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
One of my favorite Simpsons quotes...

Homer: We're going to Disney World.
[Homer is seen in front of the Magic Kingdom at Disney World, while sirens sound and searchlights search for Homer]
"Mickey Mouse": [over loudspeaker] Step away from the wall, step away from the wall.
Homer: It's so beautiful.
[Homer disappears over fence]
Homer: One churro, please.
Cast Member: That'll be fourteen dollars.
Homer: [crying] No. No, no, nooooo. Here.

sohcrates

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2000
all good points. i dont have the energy to respond to them all.

but my last note about disney is as follows

8) people seem to be either completely obsessed with disney world and absolutely love it, or basically despise it and think it is a commercialized rip-off destination.

as can be seen by the disparate range of comments above, disney is clearly a very controversial topic!

even though i'm obviously not a fan, there's no doubting it's popularity. in fact, i might buy some stock in it based on the massive crowds i observed this weekend!

intogamer

Lifer
Dec 5, 2004
I assume that you have kids since you are mentioning Disney?

Disney is one of those once-in-a-lifetime experiences, and it makes the best sense to take the kids when they are young.

I wish I had been to Disney when I was younger :(

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Rubycon
Operating costs have skyrocketed. Fuel costs are on a crazy trend right now. Wasn't there someone here that said milk is $10 a gallon now?

Originally posted by: buck
Found this on the internet.

That's a great site! :thumbsup:

Nothing like the E ticket! :D

As expensive as people think it is now, my parents said the A-E ticket system cost much much more than the daily passes.

mattpegher

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2006
The meal plan rocks. Especially if you like to have a 3 course meal at a premium restraunt every night.
Hotel Plans definitly get better for 5 or more nights.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
few key things with the dining plans though...

You can't just eat anywhere and anything...there are restrictions.

You have to buy it with your tickets.

if you normally never eat at a character or premimum restaurant they probably will not save you money.

Advanced Dining Reservations (ADR) are a must at the premium/character meals...keep in mind there is a LONG window of months for some restaurants at peak days/times. A lot of people have complained as these 'plans' make it harder for those that were willing to pay top dollar to get spots. Esp. Crystal Palace Breakfast Buffet. We were a victim of that a couple years ago when it started. Usually I could book it the day before pretty easy...that time I wanted to get it for our 2nd day in the parks, but the first 'breakfast' opening was on our last day and wasn't a day we had planed to be at the Magic Kingdom so we had to juggle our plans (day 5).

If you are like me are a Florida resident and have an annual pass (If you are not a florida resident it costs more, in the past you weren't even eligible though), you can get the DDE (Disney Dining Experience)

The DDE is a flat annual rate that gives 20% off all food for up to 10 people. Alcohol is included so this works out well as I get to Disney usually 2x a year. You have to be there to use the card so you can't just give it to a family member.

You get 1/2 off at pleasure island + 1 guest.

Parking is not free to the parks, only for the purpose of dining. At resorts you can valet for free.

DDE also is limited to certain places but so far any place we wanted to eat it was accepted.

The best deal was a couple years ago when they included the dining plan for free with I think the 5 day+ passes.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Linux23
People are such dumb, ignorant sheep.

Dante wrote about useless thread bumpers in The Divine Comedy. Acording to him, they inhabit the fourth circle of Hell where they are forced to play hot potato with seering lumps of coal.

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I live 75 minutes from the parks and have had a Florida resident annual pass for 3 years now. I've enjoyed almost every trip (too many to count). You just gotta know how to work the system and make it benefit you.

I've been to Universal Studios a couple times and may end up getting the annual pass if they offer the "buy 1 year, get the second free" deal again.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Originally posted by: Linux23
People are such dumb, ignorant sheep.

Dante wrote about useless thread bumpers in The Divine Comedy. Acording to him, they inhabit the fourth circle of Hell where they are forced to play hot potato with seering lumps of coal.

It's actually HIDE the potatoe and unfortunately you need up naked there.

ajf3

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 2000
Basically, they make it very expensive if you don't stay on property -and for a long time. We've gone several times... going from a 9 day to a 10 day pass adds like $3 to the ticket. You have to stay on prop to get the meal plan (free at certain times of the year).

The one time we stayed when the meal plan was not free it cost ~$90/day for 2 adults, 2 children. For that we each got a snack (~12) a lunch (~50) and a sit down dinner. They give you the actual price receipts even though you're paying with your meal credits & the dinner alone was > $200. You can't do much better than the meal plan price unless you're packing picnic lunches.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Disney is hardly an 'expensive' vacation. Those that think so must not vacation much to place that provide the entertainment. Staying on property can save you money in a bundle some times esp when the rooms are at the low point with All Star's @ $75.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Originally posted by: hzl eyed grl
The last time I was at Disneyland (when I was a teenager), I think the tickets were like $31 or $32 or something like that.

The last time I was there, they still sold E tickets. You know something, I have never fully recovered from the, It's a small world ride.