Holiday Gift Advice! $30-ish game suggestions?

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
Okay, so I live in a grad school apartment where I was randomly assigned a roommate. I ended up getting a roommate who just came from China and is working for his doctorate in Biochem. ANYWAYS, he deals with a lot of my BS (burning food, noise, etc) and never complains. I want to show my appreciation and get him something.

My first idea is to get him some sort of computer game and a cheap mouse. I dont think he has any disposable income so whenever he "games" he plays weird little java type games. He has a new Dell 1505 laptop by my estimation so the game cant be too graphically intensive.

My first thought was to get him the warcraft battlechest (because everyone loves this game?) and a 5 button kensington mouse to get him started.

What do you guys think?

Oh, and I wanted to add I'd like it to stay at around 50 bucks shipped

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: rnp614
Okay, so I live in a grad school apartment where I was randomly assigned a roommate. I ended up getting a roommate who just came from China and is working for his doctorate in Biochem. ANYWAYS, he deals with a lot of my BS (burning food, noise, etc) and never complains. I want to show my appreciation and get him something.

My first idea is to get him some sort of computer game and a cheap mouse. I dont think he has any disposable income so whenever he "games" he plays weird little java type games. He has a new Dell 1505 laptop by my estimation so the game cant be too graphically intensive.

My first thought was to get him the warcraft battlechest (because everyone loves this game?) and a 5 button kensington mouse to get him started.

What do you guys think?

Get him some ear plugs and Glade plug-ins.

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
Originally posted by: AnyMal

What do you guys think?

Haha, see the thing is, since he came here directly from China I think his standards are quite low. Dealing with a crappy environment seems to be second nature.

Plus, I do ALL the cleaning in the apartment so its not like I'm TERRIBLE ;)

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
Originally posted by: FireChicken
since you dont know him that well... Gift cards are always nice.

He doesnt have a car and its tough to go anywhere when you're stuck in downtown New Orleans. We're basically locked in here.

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
if it helps any I think one of the java games he plays is a galaga type game...(i dont know bc most of the time he closes his door)

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005

What do you guys think?

Haha, see the thing is, since he came here directly from China I think his standards are quite low. Dealing with a crappy environment seems to be second nature.

He'll be rich Chinese though - unlikely he could afford American education (you are in America right?) if he was some farm boy. He's probably just extremely polite.

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Atheus

What do you guys think?

He'll be rich Chinese though - unlikely he could afford American education (you are in America right?) if he was some farm boy. He's probably just extremely polite.

I dont think he's from a farm, I just meant that he's used to noise and air pollution! :D. (something similar to LA I would guess ;) )

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
This would give more variety than the Warcraft battlechest:
StarCraft + Brood War - $15 GoGamer
Diablo 1 - $10 - GoGamer
Half-Life 1 Anthology - $8 GoGamer <-- should work even with intel graphics

If he likes arcade games then maybe one of these:
Taito Legends - $20 at gogamer - GameSpot 7.1/10
Atari Anniversary Edition - $15 GoGamer - GameSpot 6.3

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: FireChicken
since you dont know him that well... Gift cards are always nice.

He doesnt have a car and its tough to go anywhere when you're stuck in downtown New Orleans. We're basically locked in here.

I think you can use some gift cards online depending on the store.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
If you want to get to know him better, get 2 copies of the game and play online with him :thumbsup:

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Injury
If you want to get to know him better, get 2 copies of the game and play online with him :thumbsup:

Yeah, I have w3x already so that was the reason that one came to mind first....but I'm kind of liking the idea of SC/BW and Diablo 2 now. thats like 3 great games in one. I dont know where any of my copies of those games are at this point though...

Hrm....dilemmas dilemmas.

BTW, Thanks for suggestions everyone!

sniperruff

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
if he's going for his phd in biochem, i doubt he has a lot of time to play any time-consuming games. i'd get him a wireless notebook mouse if he doesn'tt already have one.

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
Originally posted by: sniperruff
if he's going for his phd in biochem, i doubt he has a lot of time to play any time-consuming games. i'd get him a wireless notebook mouse if he doesn'tt already have one.

but he does! I hear the sound of whatever games it is he plays from the livingroom. Sometimes for hours at a time!

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War : Dark Crusade. Right at 30 bucks and loads of fun!

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Is he a poor immigrant grad student? Get him a gift card to a local restaurant chain--Like Popeye's! Hunger sucks.

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Mermaidman
Is he a poor immigrant grad student? Get him a gift card to a local restaurant chain--Like Popeye's! Hunger sucks.

I definitely think he's here on scholarship, but he seems to eat well...he makes all sorts of crazy Chinese food. I dont think I've ever seen him eat American cuisine.