Hold on to your money , Fermi prices to be slashed again. Fudzilla.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Don't you think that this will force ATI to drop their prices also?

Like the GTX480/470 did at launch? Or the GTX460? Or the other 470 price drop?
OK, so the 5830 dropped, but everything else is still above launch prices.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Like the GTX480/470 did at launch? Or the GTX460? Or the other 470 price drop?
OK, so the 5830 dropped, but everything else is still above launch prices.

It could be there are just clearing inventory for a gtx 475 and will ELO the gtx 465 and 470, which I have no problem with. :)

OR perhaps there gonna ELO the gtx 465 and bringing the gtx 470 down in price to make room for the 369$ gtx 475? Just guessing the price.

Could look like this..

gtx495 $600
gtx480 $440
gtx475 $370 competes with the 5870
gtx470 $300
gtx460 $230
Thats about 70$ in between each card. The gtx495 getting a premium price for being the fastest as usual.

Last edited:

PingviN

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2009
As long as AMD can sell everything they produce, the only reason for it to cut prices is not giving Nvidia back market shares.

I doubt Nvidia can manage enough quantity to actually threaten AMD in a big way. AMD got a large share of the cookie and a new series of GPU around the corner, there is little - if any - reason to cut prices.

edplayer

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2002
Don't you think that this will force ATI to drop their prices also?

No. Nothing can force ATi to drop their prices. They would likely lower their prices once sales slow below their liking. It appears that has not happened yet.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Must suck to be the engineers behind fermi. At least this shows nvidia has recognized they have to sacrifice margins to stay in the game.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Actually, the 5830 dropped like a rock and the 5850 has had rebates drop the price as low as $250 after the 460 was released.

So yes, if you look at retail prices the nvidia new models and price cuts have dropped retail ATI prices.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Must suck to be the engineers behind fermi. At least this shows nvidia has recognized they have to sacrifice margins to stay in the game.

Yea, I love when they screw up, now I can get a faster card, cheaper. :D
Soon I may pull the trigger on a gtx470 for 100$ cheaper then a 5870 and 90% of its performance.
I love competition. Don't you?

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Its too late. I bought one of these (get it Monday) and I'm-a gonna unlock it to a GTX 470:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127514
http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/789983-msi-gtx465-twin-frozr-golden-edition.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmF0yQfn_Og

Quit laughing! I can hear you from here! :D

Ahh man, the PNY version (which sold out last week) was the one that was fully unlocking.

That sucks.
On a brighter note, thats one of the best gtx465's you can buy. It runs much cooler and much quieter then the reference crap and overclocks nice too. At these clocks it should beat out a gtx470.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/33..._overclocked_w_voltage_adjustment/index2.html

3386_01.gif

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
Ahh man, the PNY version (which sold out last week) was the one that was fully unlocking.

That sucks.
On a brighter note, thats one of the best gtx465's you can buy. It runs much cooler and much quieter then the reference crap and overclocks nice too. At these clocks it should beat out a gtx470.

Actually, people are having great success unlocking this model (it has 10 RAM chips). That Overclock.net thread has been three for three for the people who've tried it. I've been reading a lot of forums and haven't heard of a failure yet. The Youtube video is from a guy who works for NCIX.com in Canada and he's unlocked their entire stock of them and sold them as such. Its only the Golden Edition with the copper HSF - the regular aluminum one only has 8 RAM chips and can't be unlocked.

Last edited:

Seero

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
Price drop to make room for new product doesn't necessary need another player. The goal of a price drop on old products and fit in a new products is to suck every possible penny out of customer. Think of it as fishing. The point of fishing is not to use the least bait, but to get most fishes. ATI did it very effectively on their 5000 series. It covers almost every single segments. That means, even if Nvidia can bring in a slightly better product at a slightly better price, no fish will bait as they are full.

Now of course fish needs to eat. Depending on who covers most ground first, and the duration of being the best for the price in that segment, who supply better product at the best price is going to win the round.

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
Things should really get interesting after AMD announces / launches the HD6000 series, should be massive price drops on both HD5000 cards as well as nVidia GTX 4XX cards.

PingviN

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2009
Things should really get interesting after AMD announces / launches the HD6000 series, should be massive price drops on both HD5000 cards as well as nVidia GTX 4XX cards.

I don't think so. There will only be a price cut if AMD starts collecting cards on the shelves, it's more likely that production will be cut and prices kept where they are. GTX4XX might still get some massive price drops, but I doubt HD5*** will go the same way.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Yea, I love when they screw up, now I can get a faster card, cheaper. :D
Soon I may pull the trigger on a gtx470 for 100$ cheaper then a 5870 and 90% of its performance.
I love competition. Don't you?

You realize that if nVidia hadn't dropped the ball on Fermi, we would have had 5850 level performance for $259 or less? And that cards at that price/performance would have been available for the better part of a year?

Quit trying to play nVidia spin doctor, them screwing up held us frugal enthusiasts back a good 6-8 months.

The only good that has come out of all this is that ATI's solid launch and nVidia's blunder truly got ATI back into the game which gives them a better chance at providing better competition for future releases.

tincart

Apr 15, 2010
One has to wonder how ATi is distributing their share of the wafer pie. If SI taped out and was production ready, when exactly will they be ramping production? How will that relate to HD 5xxx wafer starts?

HD 5xxx prices that seem to be very high compared to competition (everything above 5830 needs to come down) might indicate supply constraint as ATi ramps up production for the new gen.

Or, they're just happy with sales where they are. No point in having a fire sale until the new gen comes out and they need to clear out the inventory.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
Perfect. As long as the price drop is there by late September because I will be upgrading my computer to play Civ 5.

PingviN

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2009
Uhm... yeah. The good question would be: Why was it priced at $277 to begin with? If prices must be cut > $50;, then someone screwed up badly.