Hillary Clinton Wears $12,495 Armani Jacket During Speech About Inequality

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
Well, first off, do you live in the same city as the Clinton's?

No? Then comparing your rates to theirs is an apple to oranges comparison.

If you do live in the same city then you can read this to understand other possible differences.

https://smartasset.com/taxes/new-york-property-tax-calculator

Now don't you feel better? You've got one less thing to be faux ragged over.

You clearly didn't understand my comment whatsoever. Because it had nothing to do with varying property tax rates. It had to do with my house being valued well above what I could sell it for while Hillary's house is valued at not even 20% what she could sell it for. There are possible legitimate explanations for why the rate should vary. There is no justification for why the ASSESSMENT should be this incorrect.

Or are you going to tell me that there's no point properly assessing house value for property taxes? Do I have to explain why property taxes should involve honest assessments to be fair? Do YOU understand how they work? Hey let's just say that her mansion is really only worth $1 and not apply that ridiculous standard to most other houses in NYC, sounds totally legitimate. Absolutely nothing to see here.

Last edited:

openwheel

Platinum Member
Apr 30, 2012
I smell a bit of "jealousy" here.

It's not like her outfits are stamped "Chanel" or "Gucci" all over. They are complete opposite of your typical OC housewives. No one would even know the price tag of her outfits without some "Yahoo investigation". Perhaps if you are able to afford your lady $12K jacket, then you wouldn't be barking up the wrong tree here. What happens to those who claim the media is untrustworthy? This piece is the gold standard of journalism now?

And come on guys, Georgio Armani for $12K? My Brioni doesn't even cost that much.

Last edited:

openwheel

Platinum Member
Apr 30, 2012
You clearly didn't understand my comment whatsoever. Because it had nothing to do with varying property tax rates. It had to do with my house being valued well above what I could sell it for while Hillary's house is valued at not even 20% what she could sell it for. There are possible legitimate explanations for why the rate should vary. There is no justification for why the ASSESSMENT should be this incorrect.

Or are you going to tell me that there's no point properly assessing house value for property taxes? Do I have to explain why property taxes should involve honest assessments to be fair? Do YOU understand how they work? Hey let's just say that her mansion is really only worth $1 and not apply that ridiculous standard to most other houses in NYC, sounds totally legitimate. Absolutely nothing to see here.

You don't know how property tax works. Clearly.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
And come on guys, Georgio Armani for $12K? My Brioni doesn't even cost that much.

I could afford a $12k suit but there's no way I'd spend a huge premium for some brand name (especially for something I think is ugly) just so I can name drop them on a forum like you are.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

You can lead a horse to water...

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Oh boy, another person telling me I don't know how something works without saying how.

I provided everything you need to understand the process and you didn't bother reading it, why would he waste his time doing s something that was already done.

We get it, you are an idiot who wishes to remain an idiot.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
I provided everything you need to understand the process and you didn't bother reading it, why would he waste his time doing s something that was already done.

We get it, you are an idiot who wishes to remain an idiot.

You provided me a calculator that shows how rates vary. I get how rates vary. I don't get how a gross underassment of the house's value is a fair or natural part of property taxation, and I really don't feel like you've done anything to explain this.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
You provided me a calculator that shows how rates vary. I get how rates vary. I don't get how a gross underassment of the house's value is a fair or natural part of property taxation, and I really don't feel like you've done anything to explain this.

Let me help you:
Are you on a computer or a cellphone?

If you are on a computer, use your mouse and move it over to the right side of your screen. From there you will see a vertical bar, called the scroll bar. Simply move the mouse to the bar and press and hold the left click button while moving the mouse down. Now continue reading the page.

For cellphone usage, simply place your finger on the screen and drag your finger down. You'll notice the page moves with your finger. Continue repeating the process until you have finished reading the whole page.

Last edited:

openwheel

Platinum Member
Apr 30, 2012
I could afford a $12k suit but there's no way I'd spend a huge premium for some brand name (especially for something I think is ugly) just so I can name drop them on a forum like you are.

WTF, that is some weird train of thought (or lack of)......

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
Let me help you:
Are you on a computer or a cellphone?

If you are in a computer, use your mouse and move it over to the right side of your screen. From there you will see a vertical bar, called the scroll bar. Simply move the mouse to the bar and press and hold the left click button while moving the mouse down. Now continue reading the page.

For cellphone usage, simply place your finger on the screen and drag your finger down. You'll notice the page move with your finger. Continue repeating the process until you have finished reading the whole page.

Okay, I admit I didn't scroll to read the assessment explanation. I don't think that there's anything that could justify this big discrepancy in house assessment and still think it's vastly unfair. And I'm hardly the only one.

You could have really done this without being such a huge asshole about it.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Okay, I admit I didn't scroll to read the assessment explanation. I don't think that there's anything that could justify this big discrepancy in house assessment and still think it's vastly unfair. And I'm hardly the only one.

You could have really done this without being such a huge asshole about it.

I could have but then what would be the point:p

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
I could have but then what would be the point:p

Sometimes people don't know something or miss something and they're not being willfully obtuse or blinded by bias to the point where they can't be reached. I saw the article I linked before and thought "wow, why is her house assessed at a small fraction of what she could make for it." The idea that there'd be a separate assessment adjustment on top of the actual tax rate is totally foreign to me (not at all how things work where I live) and IMO totally defies common sense.

I wasn't criticizing Hillary either - I hardly think she was able to negotiate a false assessment. Just that it struck out to me and I thought it looked pretty messed up.

When someone is wrong about something, if you politely explain to them why they're wrong, they're a lot more likely to listen to you and a lot more open to try to understand. If you just tell them they're wrong, then say it's about stuff they weren't talking about (tax rates) while having the real answer buried inside a linked page, while being rude and insulting about it, they're less likely to listen.

I'm not going to assume this matters to you. Maybe you're happier making people angry or goading them in an attempt to get them to say something that makes them look worse. But if it does, I'm just saying.

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Sometimes people don't know something or miss something and they're not being willfully obtuse or blinded by bias to the point where they can't be reached. I saw the article I linked before and thought "wow, why is her house assessed at a small fraction of what she could make for it." The idea that there'd be a separate assessment adjustment on top of the actual tax rate is totally foreign to me (not at all how things work where I live) and IMO totally defies common sense.

I wasn't criticizing Hillary either - I hardly think she was able to negotiate a false assessment. Just that it struck out to me and I thought it looked pretty messed up.

When someone is wrong about something, if you politely explain to them why they're wrong, they're a lot more likely to listen to you and a lot more open to try to understand. If you just tell them they're wrong, then say it's about stuff they weren't talking about (tax rates) while having the real answer buried inside a linked page, while being rude and insulting about it, they're less likely to listen.

I'm not going to assume this matters to you. Maybe you're happier making people angry or goading them in an attempt to get them to say something that makes them look worse. But if you are, I'm just saying.

You must be new here. If your M.O. is to be correct and accurate and you ask to educated I will treat you as such. However I would watch how and what you post otherwise you might come off like a lot of other people on this forum, spouting bullshit, innuendo, and using speculation as fact and you will be treated as such.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
You must be new here. If your M.O. is to be correct and accurate and you ask to educated I will treat you as such. However I would watch how and what you post otherwise you might come off like a lot of other people on this forum, spouting bullshit, innuendo, and using speculation as fact and you will be treated as such.

You already know I'm not new here.

Everything I've said about how I think people should treat each other in corrections is something I've tried very hard to apply to everything I say here.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003

Are you freaking for real?

You are the one that still unable to give a straight YES or NO answer (with NO "if", "and", "but" or any qualification) and now you preach about not spewing bullshit and innuendo and speculation?

That's rich and hilarious. Just as Hillary was preaching about working for the common class/working men/women (with that nasty ugly outfit for $12K+) and claimed Bill and her were dead broke on 60 Minutes (how much was their home again?). :D

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2013
I'm trying to remember who went all spastic about what Palin was wearing back when...

Oh, never mind.

Far as I can recollect nobody. There was a bit of an uproar about the $150,000 spent by the GOP for hair styling, makeup and clothes for her and her family.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Are you freaking for real?

You are the one that still unable to give a straight YES or NO answer (with NO "if", "and", "but" or any qualification) and now you preach about not spewing bullshit and innuendo and speculation?

That's rich and hilarious. Just as Hillary was preaching about working for the common class/working men/women (with that nasty ugly outfit for $12K+) and claimed Bill and her were dead broke on 60 Minutes (how much was their home again?). :D

Try again dipshit.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Try again dipshit.

Ah, can't dispute what I said because they are true, pull the insulting/name calling card. Color me shock. Not!!!

Yet you are the one that preach against (in your own words) "spouting bullshit, innuendo, and using speculation as fact". Must. Stop. Laughing. So. Hard.

Thanks for the laugh.

openwheel

Platinum Member
Apr 30, 2012
back to topic, what's the big deal about this Georgio Armani jacket?

I would like to see her Armani jacket and raise with my Brioni suit. I am looking at you Exophase.