Hillary Clinton blames Bush for blackout

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Theres a HUGE difference between the rolling blackouts CA had, and the NY-Detriot-Cleveland-Canada blackout.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Don't forget Democrat's MO: Good stuff = take credit for it; Bad stuff = pawn it off on Bush, or maybe Reagan... Whomever's convenient. The buck stops where?

The bottom line is that ALL people in power will do this.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
And I dont support the idea of joining all the power grids together like some in congress have been pushing for.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Ferocious
hehe Republicans blamed Davis for Cali's blackout.

But when the shoe is on the other foot.......

HYPOCRISY!!!!!!!!! (a cornerstone of the modern Republican party)

Explain how botched deregulation by California's governor is the same as this blackout.

And if it's anybody's fault it's the damn environmentalists and their anti-energy push and the politicians who either listen to them or cower to them. Very little modernization, very few new plants and effectively banning clean burning coal mining in Utah (thank you Clinton administration) just to appease the whiney environmentalists. I guess you reap what you sow.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: CPA

Explain how botched deregulation by California's governor is the same as this blackout.

And if it's anybody's fault it's the damn environmentalists and their anti-energy push and the politicians who either listen to them or cower to them. Very little modernization, very few new plants and effectively banning clean burning coal mining in Utah (thank you Clinton administration) just to appease the whiney environmentalists. I guess you reap what you sow.

Actually it was Pete Wilson that did deregulation IIRC. However you gotta blame the state house and senate, they passed it by a very large margin. Davis was to blame for the CA blackouts because he handled the whole thing very poorly. Would have been worse if he took Bill Clintons advice though. Bush wasnt to blame for the rolling blackouts either, they issue started under Clintons watch. Clinton told Davis to jack up the price for consumers.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: digitalsm
Originally posted by: CPA

Actually it was Pete Wilson that did deregulation IIRC. However you gotta blame the state house and senate, they passed it by a very large margin. Davis was to blame for the CA blackouts because he handled the whole thing very poorly. Would have been worse if he took Bill Clintons advice though. Bush wasnt to blame for the rolling blackouts either, they issue started under Clintons watch. Clinton told Davis to jack up the price for consumers.

Thank you for correcting me.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Originally posted by: daniel1113
I also find it humorous that Hillary does nothing more than blame Bush, while Bush vows to actually fix the problem. Who would of known?

OMG, you're such a knee-jerker. Nowhere in that article does Hillary blame Bush. You're conveniently reading that in.
rolleye.gif

Why am I thinking of a black pot and kettle?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: AndrewR
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
I also find it humorous that Hillary does nothing more than blame Bush, while Bush vows to actually fix the problem. Who would of known?

OMG, you're such a knee-jerker. Nowhere in that article does Hillary blame Bush. You're conveniently reading that in.
rolleye.gif

Why am I thinking of a black pot and kettle?

'Cause you have two brain cells. One for each.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Also, in case you guys didn't know, Hillary's quote came from a video interview today in which she does mention Bush.

Mentions Bush?

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Gaard
Partisans.
rolleye.gif
Indeed.

I read it could take up to 50 billion to modernize the grid's transmission (probably a lot of pork in that figure). The question is, what will Bush do next?

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: JellyBaby
Partisans.
rolleye.gif
Indeed.

I read it could take up to 50 billion to modernize the grid's transmission (probably a lot of pork in that figure). The question is, what will Bush do next?

Since I'm sure Bush had soooooo much to do with the blackout...

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: JellyBaby
Partisans.
rolleye.gif
Indeed.

Since I'm sure Bush had soooooo much to do with the blackout...

No one said, even Hillary, he did.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: digitalsm
The blackout isnt the governments fault.

during Reagan's administration, people with a philosophy that government and government regulation are BAD came to power. This lead to deregulation of the electric industry, which changed that industry from having a primary mission of providing reliable power to having a primary mission of generating short term profits, like most corporations.

This has created a disincentive to upgrade the grid.

Now, Reagan was very popular, and because Democrats also want to be popular, they have co-opted some of these bad ideas, at times and to a lesser degree, although they are the followers to the Republican's lead.