Hillary Clinton appears to suggest Russians are 'grooming' Tulsi Gabbard for third-party run

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
She is definitely being backed by Russia, just like Jill Stein was. Whether it's consensual is the only question for me.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Is there any evidence at all of a hostile foreign power having anything at all to do with Tulsi other than Hillary’s speculation?

I already posted an article from early February that showed remarkable Russian bot activities promoting Gabbard on social media.

It's only grown since then.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I already posted an article from early February that showed remarkable Russian bot activities promoting Gabbard on social media.

It's only grown since then.

Post #96. Add RT's coverage of Ron Paul fluffing her up.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
She is definitely being backed by Russia, just like Jill Stein was. Whether it's consensual is the only question for me.

I have seen no evidence that she’s complicit in it, but then again she’s never been accused of being complicit.

It does appear that she’s being supported by hostile foreign powers though, which is unfortunate. Then again we already know that these hostile foreign powers only really have one goal - to keep Republicans in power. They have (correctly) determined that Republicans in power makes America worse off.

Reactions: tweaker2

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
She will not come remotely close to winning the nomination. Again, the question here is if hostile foreign powers are trying to promote her as a possible third candidate. I doubt she will do it, but we should all be aware of the problem.

Remember conservatives acted like the idea of the Russians intervening to get Trump elected was some ridiculous and hysterical conspiracy theory by Democrats and...well... the Democrats were 100% right. Let’s not make the same mistake again.
So you're diving head first into rumor as fact pool. Good luck with that. Our elections will now be won or lost based on who screams "RUSSIANS!!!!!!" first.
Gabbard is a congress member and active duty military. That military service gets her one hell of a lot of points in my book. I'll also note that Gabbard doesn't appear to be making baseless accusations against others for political gain. So given the choice between an active duty soldier and the political equivalent of sidewalk gum, I'll take the soldier.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I have seen no evidence that she’s complicit in it, but then again she’s never been accused of being complicit.

It does appear that she’s being supported by hostile foreign powers though, which is unfortunate. Then again we already know that these hostile foreign powers only really have one goal - to keep Republicans in power. They have (correctly) determined that Republicans in power makes America worse off.
To me it doesn't really matter, she's acting like a shill would. If she is doing because of her own mental gymnastics or outside influence is not material to me in terms of politics.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
So you're diving head first into rumor as fact pool. Good luck with that. Our elections will now be won or lost based on who screams "RUSSIANS!!!!!!" first.
Gabbard is a congress member and active duty military. That military service gets her one hell of a lot of points in my book. I'll also note that Gabbard doesn't appear to be making baseless accusations against others for political gain. So given the choice between an active duty soldier and the political equivalent of sidewalk gum, I'll take the soldier.

Which hopefully means Gabbard won't splinter the Democrats. If she did, what would you say then?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So you're diving head first into rumor as fact pool. Good luck with that.

Of course not, don’t be silly. There’s evidence Russian propaganda is trying to boost her and it would be dumb not to acknowledge that.

Our elections will now be won or lost based on who screams "RUSSIANS!!!!!!" first.

Remember how you guys said similar things to this for years and it turned out to be totally true? Does that make you more reluctant to dismiss things this time?

Military service gets someone zero points in my book. She’s also obviously not active duty. People are not inherently better or more trustworthy because they served and America has some weird obsession with the military that makes people think otherwise.

Reactions: ivwshane

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
So did I. And it's not always a good judge of character. Sure, it helps, but when one offers to derail an election and cavorts with dictators and refuses to explain why, I question their sincerity.

In this case. the alt-right has been putting on a coordinated an concerted effort to prop her up. And this can only be for one reason, for her to run a third party, election disrupting campaign.

We'll know the second she steps down, or announces an independent or 3rd party run.

If she doesn't, I'll be the first to eat my words. But up to now, this looks like what the plan is.
I hope hillary doesnt try to run again in order to block progressive populists

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
As of today, I don't think she is purposely acting as a Russian asset, but I would say that she sometimes behaves like one. She's always been a fringe candidate, so it's not like this is necessarily new behavior that was inspired by Putin's Russian propaganda. Rather, when Putin looks around for opportunities to exploit the political system, Gabbard fits the description of someone who suits his purposes: someone who makes a lot of noise, someone who tries to strike populist chords, someone who flirts with conspiracy theories, and someone who has made it clear that she doesn't like the American foreign policy/national security establishment. These are qualities that are present in Gabbard, just as they have been in Donald Trump.

Would the Russians stop their pro-Gabbard troll farm propaganda if she endorsed Warren or Biden? Would Tulsi necessarily unite behind the team, or would she still take swipes at the Democratic party, tweet her grievances, and appear as a guest on Tucker Carlson's show? An endorsement wouldn't necessarily buy her silence.

The strategy would be not for Gabbard to win, (we all know who Putin wants to win) but to cause enough conflict and disillusionment among independents and Democrat-leaning voters that they either stay home or vote third-party. There is a persuadable sector of the left-wing electorate who is receptive to the message that Democrats are a rigged party, too cozy with Wall Street, too compromising, too willing to use military force, take your pick. I can ignore Gabbard all I want, but I can't visit all those people and stick cotton in their ears.

I don't think Gabbard (or her "friends") have actually settled on the endgame, I think they're just throwing stuff out there to see what sticks. Obviously it's ideal for them if she actually gets the nomination, but if not, a contentious primary would be helpful, and if not that, a vote-siphoning third-party spoiler run.

If she does decide to run 3rd party, this isn't good for the Republicans either. she will ALSO take votes that would normally go to Trump. And he will need all he can get.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Is Clinton a secret Russian actor?

If this AP Story is true... (oh wait AP maybe it really means Associated with PUTIN!!)

Tulsi Elevated in Iowa by Clinton Spat

hmmmmm.....:eek:

That's not much of a sample, is it? Maybe she'll move up in the polls, somewhere above the level of dismal. She doesn't have anywhere else to go-

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
No points in my book!! There are a lot of people in Congress and the House that have served in the US Military!
Here is a little more about her -- from Wikipedia---
Tulsi Gabbard (/ˈtʌlsi ˈɡæbərd/; born April 12, 1981) is an American politician and Hawaii Army National Guard major serving as the U.S. Representative for Hawaii's 2nd congressional district. Elected in 2013, she is the first Samoan American and the first practicing Hindu[a] member of Congress.[1][2] Gabbard's announcement of her intention to seek the Democratic nomination in the 2020 US presidential election made her the first female combat veteran to run for president.[3][4]

In 2002, Gabbard was elected to the Hawaii House of Representatives.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsi_Gabbard#cite_note-6 In 2004, she became the first state legislator to voluntarily step down from public office for a tour of duty in a war zone.[5] Gabbard served in a field medical unit of the Hawaii Army National Guard in a combat zone in Iraq from 2004 to 2005 and was deployed to Kuwait from 2008 to 2009. She was a vice chair of the Democratic National Committee from 2013 to 2016, when she resigned to endorse Senator Bernie Sanders for the 2016 Democratic presidential nomination.

Gabbard's domestic policy platform in her campaign for the 2020 Democratic nomination is economically and socially progressive and has been described as "similar to Bernie Sanders ... in many respects".[6] She supports Medicare for All[7] and strengthening the reproductive rights framework of Roe v Wade by codifying it into federal law.[8] She voted and lobbied against LGBT rights in Hawaii prior to her first tour of duty, but since 2011 Gabbard has repeatedly apologized for her earlier positions and now supports LGBT rights.[9][10] Gabbard opposes military interventionism, but has called herself a "hawk" on terrorism.[11][12] Her decision to meet Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and expressions of skepticism about his use of chemical weapons in the Syrian Civil War attracted controversy.[13]

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Strikes me reflexively that Gabbart launching a vicious attack on Clinton when Clinton didn't even name her, only said a female candidate is being groomed by Russia in their plans to interfere in the 2020 POTUS election is ample proof that she'd dead guilty.
You know the saying -- if the shoe fits wear it or in her case if the combat boot fits wear it!!

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Not nearly a much as Jill Stein & the Russians' "Poor Bernie! So cheated!" song routine. You're still dancing to it.

And, if Tulsi was such an ardent Bernie fan, why is she running against him now?
Not as tired as the “Poor Hillary, so cheated” song routine. It was her turn.

A candidate running is simply a reflection of political aspirations. Why shouldn’t Tulsi run? I would be more worried of someone like Bloomberg entering as a independent.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Strikes me reflexively that Gabbart launching a vicious attack on Clinton when Clinton didn't even name her, only said a female candidate is being groomed by Russia in their plans to interfere in the 2020 POTUS election is ample proof that she'd dead guilty.
Clinton was clearly referring to Harris.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Not as tired as the “Poor Hillary, so cheated” song routine. It was her turn.

A candidate running is simply a reflection of political aspirations. Why shouldn’t Tulsi run? I would be more worried of someone like Bloomberg entering as a independent.
That's not entirely true. For example take Trump-- He really had no political aspirations -- but his ego demanded otherwise and he got it!!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Clinton was clearly referring to Harris.
HUH? Everything I've seen and everybody I've heard has said it has to be Gabbart. Do you seriously think Harris would do a 3rd party run? No way! She's a Democratic Senator! She'd be trashing her future doing a 3rd party POTUS run.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
It's possible it’s more likely she will take votes from previous Trump voters, at least the ones who have had enough of Trumps bullshit, and who are drawn to new and shiny "oddball" candidates.

Many people who voted for Jill Stein in 2016 were largely influenced by the assumption Hillary was going to win. They, like the Nader voters of yore, didn’t really think their votes were consequential.

Reactions: Muse

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
HUH? Everything I've seen and everybody I've heard has said it has to be Gabbart. Do you seriously think Harris would do a 3rd party run? No way! She's a Democratic Senator! She'd be trashing her future doing a 3rd party POTUS run.
I should have added a sarcasm disclaimer to my post