Hicks now have another reason to hate immigrants.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: dahunan
Originally posted by: Phokus
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
This falls under the primary concern, cultural replacement.

Then again, some apparently despise the America they grew up in so anything must be better than that. Radio stations are a minor example of the greater issues of our culture dying; there are much more obvious issues with it such as language and poverty/crime rates than what their people listen to on the radio.

country music is f****ing horrible. That's one aspect of American culture that i won't shed a tear for if it goes away.

When was the last time you heard country music talk about

PIMPING WOMEN

GLEEFULLY MURDERING COPS

GLORIFYING SALES OF COCAINE

Glorifying street violence and hiv infested orgies and all crimes in general etc etc

I would rather see the duke boys be a strong part of our society than the Crips and Bloods et al..

That's a fairly good point, although I will say that there is a somewhat disturbing part of country music that sounds pretty jingoistic. Still, better than what rappers sing about. On the other hand, this thread is about anti-Hispanic hysteria, and while they might not be listening to country music (maybe because of what I said above), I'm not sure they're listening to gangster rap either.

As far as what I think society should look like, I think society will be society whether you or I like it or not, so there is no use getting all worked up over it. But for what it's worth, every single new immigrant group in the history of this country has been met with hostility by those who are already here...and in EVERY case things seemed to have worked out just fine. The arguments against Hispanic immigrants have been applied to Asians, the Irish, Poles, Germans, Jews, whoever...and what do you know, our country has just been better for their contribution. I for one thing there is a lot to admire about Hispanic culture, and while it's easy to focus on crime stats for Hispanic immigrants, that's more a function of poverty than culture...and something that is almost always true of new immigrant groups, and something that almost always gets better with time.

Edit: Just to give a concrete example of what I'm talking about, I can only hope the way Hispanics view family makes its way into the broader American culture. Starting with the Baby Boomer generation, having kids seems to have become somewhat like having a dog as far as some people are concerned...I think there is a lot of room for improvement.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
I'm sorry, I forgot it was Starbucks. Those places are kind of interchangable when it comes to employment for people like you.

Too bad I have been into a starbucks like once in my whole life, for someone who thinks he can use terms like "people like you" you sure have no idea who you are even talking to.

Don't quit your dayjob mz. cleo.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: ironwing

PIMPING WOMEN

GLEEFULLY MURDERING COPS

Glorifying street violence and hiv infested orgies and all crimes in general etc etc

I would rather see the duke boys be a strong part of our society than the Crips and Bloods et al..

Country musicians have made careers singing about whorin', sheriff shootin', wiskey drankin', coke snortin', outlawin', carrousin', and such. As for orgies, well, country musicians don't get invited to those kind of parties, of course, neither have I. :(

Street Pimpin != sleeping with more than one woman
outlawin? -- gang banging and cop shooting etc.. >> are those equal?

I will admit the country music has had a lot of domestic disturbance issues.. but nothing like gangster rap or some hip hop music

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Steeplerot
I'm sorry, I forgot it was Starbucks. Those places are kind of interchangable when it comes to employment for people like you.

Too bad I have been into a starbucks like once in my whole life, for someone who thinks he can use terms like "people like you" you sure have no idea who you are even talking to.

Someone is pulling your chain too easily today :) .. He KNOWS both of those places are joints you basically hate .. lol

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

You mean there are other places that hire people like you? Man maybe American Society has become more socially liberal!:shocked:

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Man maybe American Society has become more socially liberal!:shocked:

Try heading outside sometime to mingle with fellow humans, (well less hairy ones then yourself) you might be surprised.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

PIMPING WOMEN

GLEEFULLY MURDERING COPS

Country musicians have made careers singing about whorin', sheriff shootin', wiskey drankin', coke snortin', outlawin', carrousin', and such. As for orgies, well, country musicians don't get invited to those kind of parties, of course, neither have I. :(

Street Pimpin != sleeping with more than one woman
outlawin? -- gang banging and cop shooting etc.. >> are those equal?

I will admit the country music has had a lot of domestic disturbance issues.. but nothing like gangster rap or some hip hop music

Whorin' like hiring prostitutes, probably from the those rap guys.

Shooting lawmen is a time honored idiom in American popular music:

Well, early one evening I was rollin' around. I was feelin' kind of mean. I shot a deputy down.
Strollin' on home and I went to bed. Well, I laid me pistol up under my head.
He strolled along home (I took my time) and he went to bed (Thought I'd sleep some)
Laid his pistol (Big twenty-two) up under his head (I keep it handy)

Well, early in the morning 'bout the break of day, I figured it was time to make a getaway.
Steppin' right along but I was steppin' too slow. Got surrounded by a sheriff down in Mexico.
He was steppin' right along (Were a-high footin' it) but he was steppin' too slow (It was a sultry day)
Got surrounded by a sheriff (Boxed in) in Mexico. (I didn't even have a chance to see the country.)

When I was arrested, I didn't have a dime. The sheriff says, "Son, you're ridin' free this time.
Where you're goin' you won't need a cent 'cause the great state of Texas gonna pay your rent.
'Cause where you're goin' (I think he means jail) you won't need a cent (Well, he knows I'm broke)
'Cause the great state of Texas (Yippee!) gonna pay your rent. (I'm mighty grateful, fellas)

Well, I didn't have a key and I didn't have a file. Natur'lly I stayed around until my trial.
The judge was an old man; ninety-three and I didn't like the way the jury looked at me.
The judge was an old man (Too old) Ninety-three (Entirely too old)
I didn't like the way the jury looked at me. (I think they were suspicious.)

The judge and the jury, they did agree. They all said murder in the first degree.
They judge said, same, ("I don't know whether to hang you or not, but this killing of deputy sheriffs has just got to naturally got to stop!" "You've got a point there, judge!")

It was a most unsatisfactory trial. They gave me ninety-nine years on the hard rock pile.
Ninety and nine on the hard rock ground. All I ever did was shoot a deputy down.
Ninety and nine (It could have been life.) on the hard rock pile (They might-a hung me)
And all he ever did was shoot a deputy down (This whole thing has sure been a lesson to me. Bang! You're dead!)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Man maybe American Society has become more socially liberal!:shocked:

Try heading outside sometime to mingle with fellow humans, (well less hairy ones then yourself) you might be surprised.
I would but it's too cold here in the N.E. so I spend my time messing with Green Haired Anarchist who spend their day trying to stick it to the man.:thumbsup:

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
You think rap is bad?
Here is some good ol' country chock full of ameriKKKan southern values!

After disappearing for over forty years, Johnny Rebel is back and creating the "Ni**er-hating" music that made him into a household name so many decades ago! Johnny Rebel returns with new material that ranks right up there as some of the greatest songs of his long history! This cd contains the highest quality music he has ever recorded and includes a beautiful 16 page booklet jam-packed with lyrics, pictures and a superb Johnny Rebel biography! This is an absolute must-own as JR is truly a king of kings: It's The Attitude, Stupid! - Ni**ers Suck! - Affirmative Action - Reparations - Nothin' But Ni**ers - If I Could Be A Ni**er For A Day - Jesse Showed Up - Send 'Em All Back To Africa - Ni**er In-Law and Quit Your Bitchin' Ni**er!

link

Yee haa!

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
You think rap is bad?
Here is some good ol' country chock full of ameriKKKan southern values!

After disappearing for over forty years, Johnny Rebel is back and creating the "Ni**er-hating" music that made him into a household name so many decades ago! Johnny Rebel returns with new material that ranks right up there as some of the greatest songs of his long history! This cd contains the highest quality music he has ever recorded and includes a beautiful 16 page booklet jam-packed with lyrics, pictures and a superb Johnny Rebel biography! This is an absolute must-own as JR is truly a king of kings: It's The Attitude, Stupid! - Ni**ers Suck! - Affirmative Action - Reparations - Nothin' But Ni**ers - If I Could Be A Ni**er For A Day - Jesse Showed Up - Send 'Em All Back To Africa - Ni**er In-Law and Quit Your Bitchin' Ni**er!

link

Yee haa!

The disgusting things that go on in rap music is mainstream, the disgusting stuff that goes on in other forms of music is rare. Are you really going to compare some rare country crap to mainstream rap? Are you this out of touch?

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004

I would but it's too cold here in the N.E. so I spend my time messing with Green Haired Anarchist who spend their day trying to stick it to the man.:thumbsup:

That's ok, I don't mind slapping down silly generalizations about a user icon with a guy who has half a pitted olive on his head.

Tell me, does the olive headed thing keep you warm? or are you just pickling your brain for kicks?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Country, Rap, Pop, and more suck. Those three though all seem to have become Cut/Paste until it's hard to tell one "artist" from another. There will be the occassional artist in each genre that stands out(I really like Randy Travis for example), but the mainstream could be easily randomly generated by your PC.

That's why I still prefer Rock. It's the one genre that continues to turn out(though far less so these days) unique artists who reach beyond their peers. Rock is Rebellion, most other genres are about Conformity and it shows.

[steps down from his creaky soapbox] ya young whippersnappers :| [/waves fist in air, grimaces in pain and grabs back]

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Originally posted by: JD50

The disgusting things that go on in rap music is mainstream, the disgusting stuff that goes on in other forms of music is rare. Are you really going to compare some rare country crap to mainstream rap? Are you this out of touch?

Define mainstream. gangster rap gets no airplay if it is full of excessive profanity's, the raunchy stuff is played at home, just like johnny reb.

And rare my ass. :roll:

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

Define mainstream. gangster rap gets no airplay if it is full of excessive profanity's, the raunchy stuff is played at home, just like johnny reb.

And rare my ass. :roll:

Mainstream is the crap thats on the radio and on MTV, are denying that mainstream rap glorifies living in the ghetto, women, drugs, etc..?

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005

Bubbles for the win

NSFW (although they play it on the radio here all the time)

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004

Mainstream is the crap thats on the radio and on MTV, are denying that mainstream rap glorifies living in the ghetto, women, drugs, etc..?

Nope, and guess who the biggest buyer of those records are? The same folks who are the country fans too. White rural/suburbanites.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

Nope, and guess who the biggest buyer of those records are? The same folks who are the country fans too. White rural/suburbanites.

What kind of music does black inner city kids listen to? Also, I'd like to see a link showing where you got your info.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

What kind of music does black inner city kids listen to? Also, I'd like to see a link showing where you got your info.

Hank Williams. It really pisses off their gang-bangin', coke sellin', pimpin' parents.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Here in the city most of them listen to house/jungle/trance (with a good sized segment of punk rockers and rivets) in the clubs. Rap is commercial crap for isolated suburban white kids funded by wealthy white record industry CEOs.

Despite so many rappers being black, most hip hop record purchasers tend to be white, reflecting demographics and economics. According to musicologist Arthur Kempton, "Today 70 percent of hip-hop is bought by white kids".[25] Record sale statistics may be misleading, though, because they can't take into account the bootleging, burning, and downloading of hip-hop CDs. link

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Phokus
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
This falls under the primary concern, cultural replacement.

Then again, some apparently despise the America they grew up in so anything must be better than that. Radio stations are a minor example of the greater issues of our culture dying; there are much more obvious issues with it such as language and poverty/crime rates than what their people listen to on the radio.
country music is f****ing horrible. That's one aspect of American culture that i won't shed a tear for if it goes away.
I thought the left was supposed to be tolerant and the right were the ones that are intolerant....
I guess there's no accounting for bad taste.

:roll:

Country music as it exists today is awash in corporate-created superstars where quite a few of the hits are simply re-hashed versions of hit Pop or Rock songs and the rest are filled with tired old cliches and generic sounding backing bands.

Remember how none of these "country" stations would play anything off of the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack?

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If y'all study American music, you'd find out that country music was the starting point for almost all modern forms, including r&b, rock, even rap.

I was watching 'Abe Lincoln In Illinois' t'other day when it struck me, square dance callers were doing rap in the 1850s.

America is a wide country, makes no sense to me to limit oneself to only parts of it.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Tom
If y'all study American music, you'd find out that country music was the starting point for almost all modern forms, including r&b, rock, even rap.

I was watching 'Abe Lincoln In Illinois' t'other day when it struck me, square dance callers were doing rap in the 1850s.

America is a wide country, makes no sense to me to limit oneself to only parts of it.

That is not country though, that was american folk, "country" has long since lost its counterculture speaking truth to power aspect, it is noting but another sellout corporate package marketed for easy consumption. (the same fate as the rest of the so called "culture" and "music" of this country since the rise of conservatism and the huge corporate mergers)

Americans have long since lost that rebel spirit in our music which led the world and inspired people everywhere to fight back.

There is not going to be another Johnny Cash or great african american (for they are really the ones who create our music trends to be emulated over the long term) groundbreaking talent to create new rock and rolls for a long time, we literally have had the "soul" of our music sucked out of us.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Actually "hicks" have a bigger problem. The people who you are referring to as "hicks" are shrinking as percentage of the population. Which is good news for the Democrats.

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004

Americans have long since lost that rebel spirit in our music which led the world and inspired people everywhere to fight back.

Maybe most people grew out of the adolescent anger and joined the real world with jobs, responsibilities, and families.

Listening to you talk about country music is like me discussing the benefits of hair dye, tattoos, piercings, and trance. You're so outside the real America you're talking about things you know nothing about. Stay in your lane... marxist rants, et el.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Tom

That is not country though, that was american folk, "country" has long since lost its counterculture speaking truth to power aspect, it is noting but another sellout corporate package marketed for easy consumption. (the same fate as the rest of the so called "culture" and "music" of this country since the rise of conservatism and the huge corporate mergers)

There is not going to be another Johnny Cash or great african american (for they are really the ones who create our music trends to be emulated over the long term) groundbreaking talent to create new rock and rolls for a long time, we literally have had the "soul" of our music sucked out of us.

The monopolization of radio is a big negative, but things aren't as bleak as you paint them. Big corporations can't control music, or anything else, unless the audience lets them. Someday a generation will come along that decides to reject what is handed to them, and go out into the world and make something out of the opportunity that's waiting for them.

In the meantime, there are people still living the dream, you just have to search for them amidst the industrial waste.