Hi guys N33d some life advice

inveterate

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2005
Should i get a motorcycle, I really god dame want one, not for the chix, i just like the hardware.

Naturally the parents say "absolutely not", well my mom anyway.

you guys think it's ok to get one?

Just how unsafe are these things?

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
While there are safety concerns, it is your life to live and your risks to take. You are probably old enough to make your own decisions and perhaps you will get in an accident and die as your parents fear, but it is your choice to make. If it will make you happy and you can afford to do it legally, do it. As with all things, if you are going against your parents' will and they are paying for college, you risk losing their financial support.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004

Here's some life advice... don't use "l337 sp34k" unless you find a time machine and go back to 1999.

But an answer to your question... you're going to college next year and you apparently have no fscking clue how expensive it is. Why would you do something stupid like buy a motorcycle when you probably still live with your parents.

Use the money to learn some grammar and spelling skills before you waste your money spending a year at college on academic probation before they kick your ass out.

To top it off... a motorcycle as a permanent vehicle is a horrible idea, especially in college. No matter what you drive the parking lots/garages with thousands of other people will tear it up and you won't be going anywhere on rainy/snowy/cold days.

Listen to your parents. They are smart, you are dumb. The same is true for most every one.

I Saw OJ

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
A bike might not be the best idea for a daily driver, but they are a blast to ride. Plus you're only young once, you dont wanna be some old geezer trying to live your younger years when you're 60.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Get it, go as fast as you can. Helmet laws are unnecessary and the cops know it too - they won't ticket you. h4v3 t3h fu|\|z0rz!!11!! ololololo

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
if you use '3's as 'E's you will get your head kicked in at college...

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Where are you going to college? If it snows there or rains a lot I definitely wouldn't get a motorcycle.

Mom's will always tell you not to get a motorcycle. My Mom still tells me that and I'm in my 30s...:roll:

Still, it's probably not the best choice for a guy your age. I thought I was invincible when I was your age (or nearly invincible anyway). A motorcycle would have been a bad idea for me. Plus the insurance can be high on a bike for a young guy and it's kind of a pain in the ass to do everyday things with a motorcycle as your sole means of transportation...like get groceries, buy things like a TV or a stereo or furniture and get it home.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Where are you going to college? If it snows there or rains a lot I definitely wouldn't get a motorcycle.

Mom's will always tell you not to get a motorcycle. My Mom still tells me that and I'm in my 30s...:roll:

Still, it's probably not the best choice for a guy your age. I thought I was invincible when I was your age (or nearly invincible anyway). A motorcycle would have been a bad idea for me. Plus the insurance can be high on a bike for a young guy and it's kind of a pain in the ass to do everyday things with a motorcycle as your sole means of transportation...like get groceries, buy things like a TV or a stereo or furniture and get it home.

You fool! You wasted your short period of invincibility?

Go for the motorcycle. Your flexibility and quickness to heal that you have from being young will prevent you from being seriously injured on a motorcycle. I don't think many people under the age of 25 are killed on motorcycles.

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Nebor
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

You fool! You wasted your short period of invincibility?

Go for the motorcycle. Your flexibility and quickness to heal that you have from being young will prevent you from being seriously injured on a motorcycle. I don't think many people under the age of 25 are killed on motorcycles.

Yeah, as long as you're not out of shape like this guy you should be fine. And helmets are overrated.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: dug777
if you use '3's as 'E's you will get your head kicked in at college...

n0 wa1!!1!!11 h3 iz k3wl n f1tz 1n gud wif da 0th3r 10 y34r 0ld AOL3rz. 3v3n 1ph h3 m15p3lt "sum" 1n da t1tl3, n31 k4n m4k3 4 m1574|<3.

rocadelpunk

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
your precious motorcycle will be hit/thrown down by drunk people.

You will be drunk a lot your freshman year and if you happen to ride your motorcycle, probably will die.

College traffic is stop/go as it is with so many people walking around.

What are you going to do when it rains/snows?

How are you going to take friends/ladies anywhere?

---

Get a beater if anything.

inveterate

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2005
Ok, Money is never a concern really, not that i'm rich, it just isn't a concern, and no i don't sell drugs. And i'm smart enough to not use a motorcycle in snow, or any hazardous conditions. "under the assumption that the motorcycle itself is not considered Hazard"

I intend on doing it as a hobby only. I plan to get a car as well.

But it seems no one who actually owns a motorcycle has answered!

Checked the insurance it's 300 bux YEAR

yobarman

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
Both my roommates in college had motorcycles. They started off with pretty crappy ones at first, but my one roommate moved up to a GSX-R 1000. He took a wicked dive when a car hit him but made it out with bumps and bruises. He had to get physcial therapy for his shoulder but his bike was salvagable.

Motorcycle insurance is cheap cause there's a pretty good chance if you get in an accident you're just gonna die .

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: inveterate
Ok, Money is never a concern really, not that i'm rich, it just isn't a concern, and no i don't sell drugs. And i'm smart enough to not use a motorcycle in snow, or any hazardous conditions. "under the assumption that the motorcycle itself is not considered Hazard"

You will end up getting yourself seriously injured and/or killed. Unless you want to be the next Darwin Award nominee, I recommend waiting 5-6 years.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

There is no way in hell insurance is only $300/year for an 18 year old driving a motorcycle.

kenji4life

Jun 20, 2006
Go for it. If you really want to, which you do or you wouldn't be asking, you should. Just be careful. People are f'n stupid and don't care for or watch out for motorcycles on the road, so you have to watch out for you AND them. Get a nice light bike. You don't need a big bike to start you out.. and don't think you need a really fast one either. Start out with something like an old honda 250 and move up from there. Get used to a nice light bike with a smaller motor and then work your way up. Starting out with a 600 ^ is a good way to kill yourself. My buddy bought an old used honda 250 as his first bike (my dad had one too a ways back) and they are great bikes, not ugly or anything and TRUST me it's plenty fast enough. Just because it doesn't do 0-60 in 4 secs doesn't mean you can't kill yourself on it. Something like a Rebel 250 is a perfect starter bike, without having too much of a cheesy look like some other smaller bikes have. You'll have a blast. Have fun. Mom will get over it as long as you don't ****ing KILL YOURSELF.

inveterate

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2005
r these things really that unsafe,, or is it just the isolated group of individuals who drive them incautiously/recklessly?

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
r these things really that unsafe,, or is it just the isolated group of individuals who drive them incautiously/recklessly?

Ask big ben