Hey smokers, how would you like to get denied a job because you smoke?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 7, 2000
this is exactly why companies and the government should not be in the business of subsidizing health care. i dont know why people don't understand this.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
this is exactly why companies and the government should not be in the business of subsidizing health care. i dont know why people don't understand this.

I don't disagree with you there, but as long as they are I don't see a problem with the company choosing who they do and don't hire.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
Multiple hospitals here in Michigan have similar polices. You smoke you can't get hired. I have no problem with it. In fact in my profession we should practice what we preach...no tobacco of any kind.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
My dad works for a local hospital as basically a glorified janitor. Gets paid pretty well ( i think close to 50k a year) and about 2 years ago he got a notice he had until like 2014 to become nicotine free or get terminated.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
emot_laughing_smiley.gif

Its not toxic - just to the derps who smoke it. See also dropouts and dreamers.

It's not chemically toxic though. Saying anything else is misleading.

Also see Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Barack Obama, etc..

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
It's not chemically toxic though. Saying anything else is misleading.

Also see Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Barack Obama, etc..

uh huh...

because Bill was stoned when he decided to reverse engineer IBM DOS and made the critical decision to weigh the legal implications for doing so...

Steve Jobs loved innovating because he had large pot parties with thousands of co-workers to work out technical details of engineering an iPhone...

and

Barack Obama inhales during his press conferences to help him guide the country down the fiscal cliff.

o_O

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
uh huh...

because Bill was stoned when he decided to reverse engineer IBM DOS and made the critical decision to weigh the legal implications for doing so...

Steve Jobs loved innovating because he had large pot parties with thousands of co-workers to work out technical details of engineering an iPhone...

and

Barack Obama inhales during his press conferences to help him guide the country down the fiscal cliff.

o_O

You know what he means. :colbert:

jayzds

Nov 21, 2006
I know tobacco use is bad for you by either smoking or chewing/smoke less tobacco.

I am curious to the mouth cancer rates between a tabacco chewer and one who does'nt.

I have not looked into it but, a buddy from MN said that his dentist told him the difference is insignificant or a low risk between someone who chews and one who does not that gets jaw/mouth cancer. I am curious if anyone has information regarding that?

*I do not use tabacco any any kind.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
uh huh...

and

o_O

Have you ever enjoyed marijuana? You're coming off as someone who believed reefer madness, and has no actual experience grounded in reality.

Otherwise you'd realize that what you posted might actually be true. Bill Gates might have very well been blazed all the time. It's only the irresponsible, immature smokers that make it known. You'd be surprised who you see in day to day life that is 'high as a kite' and you have no idea.

Last edited:

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Have you ever enjoyed marijuana? You're coming off as someone who believed reefer madness, and has no actual experience grounded in reality.

Otherwise you'd realize that what you posted might actually be true. Bill Gates might have very well been blazed all the time. It's only the irresponsible, immature smokers that make it known. You'd be surprised who you see in day to day life that is 'high as a kite' and you have no idea.

Our bodies and mind were not designed to operate at peek efficiency while stoned on any substance, thus the term "mind altering". God is all I need in all aspects of life. :)

Last edited:

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
This is why I don't understand the legalization of recreational MJ use. Colorado is aggressively against tobacco, smoking, and second hand smoke.

Two points that jump right out immediately.

Tobacco is always right around the #1 killer of Americans. Smoke it, get cancer, die. Everyone except smokers wants tobacco to disappear. On the other hand it's commonly reported that there has never been a death attributed to pot smoking. Whether that is actually true, I don't know.

Cigarette smokers smoke an entire cigarette at most every 15 minutes and at least once an hour when permitted, and we all have to ingest all of that smoke all day long hour after hour. You can't see 10 feet in a bar full of smokers. Even when pot is legal nobody will be smoking 20-40 joints a day, it will still be banned at work, and plenty of employers will piss for it as well. So there won't be a lot of second hand smoke around.

Ok bonus point - pot smoke dissipates quickly and has a nice sweet smell whereas tobacco smoke hangs in the air forever and smells like ass. I'd rather smell that once or twice a day than cigarette smoke all day long.

arkcom

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2003
No, and neither does smokeless tobacco, not that that's any concern of an employer anyway. You're there to do a job, and your private life is private.

I never claimed it was harmless. I specifically said it was as harmful as other minor vices. Very little in life is harmless, and trying to eliminate all harm is stupid.

No, you claimed that it was harmless.

And then you backpeddled-
Unless its from outside the US
Unless its dry chewing tobacco
Unless its up against your mouth a long time

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Ok bonus point - pot smoke dissipates quickly and has a nice sweet smell whereas tobacco smoke hangs in the air forever and smells like ass. I'd rather smell that once or twice a day than cigarette smoke all day long.

Pot smoke smells equally as bad if not worse than cigarettes, it's almost nauseating.

[my roommates smoked regularly in college]

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Smokers miss just as many days as drunks. They have a weak immune system and are constantly sick. So either they show up sick and get everyone else sick or they miss days.

Uh, no, I smoke, missed one day this year (my sewer line clogged, shit got deep, literally), get a free flu shot every year, take vitamins and try to get the rest I need, I've gone as long as 2 years without calling in..

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
Uh, no, I smoke, missed one day this year (my sewer line clogged, shit got deep, literally), get a free flu shot every year, take vitamins and try to get the rest I need, I've gone as long as 2 years without calling in..

Two years without getting sick? Or two years without calling off? The post you are replying to said they either come in sick and spread illness, or they call off.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000

Quote:
Employees who test positive for marijuana had 55 percent more industrial accidents and 85 percent more injuries and they had absenteeism rates 75 percent higher than those that tested negative.

Great source there, " The drug free America foundation", first of all anyone who tests positive for pot (or anything else) gets FIRED on the spot, how can they still be accruing more accidents and absenteeism when they are gone?. This is yet another group that receives tons of $$ from the testing co's to distribute misinformation, here's some more gems from that website, "Marijuana-using teens are more likely to have multiple sexual partners and engage in unsafe sex."..really? pot makes you a Ho too?, here's another, "Marijuana use accounts for tens of thousands of marijuana related complaints at emergency rooms throughout the United States each year."....Huh? most people who smoke too much pot eat too many cookies and go to sleep, not call 911 LOL

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Two years without getting sick? Or two years without calling off? The post you are replying to said they either come in sick and spread illness, or they call off.

Well thanks to our new company's rules you get penalized for calling in, it's an "occurrence" that garners a point, clocking in one min. late is 1/2 point, 3 points in one year you get a write up, next point=gone. Oh AND they took away our sick-time so one cannot get paid if you call in AND we make an FDA regulated topical product, in this economy they can make any rule and because jobs are scarce people put up with it..

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Quote:
Employees who test positive for marijuana had 55 percent more industrial accidents and 85 percent more injuries and they had absenteeism rates 75 percent higher than those that tested negative.

Great source there, " The drug free America foundation", first of all anyone who tests positive for pot (or anything else) gets FIRED on the spot, how can they still be accruing more accidents and absenteeism when they are gone?. This is yet another group that receives tons of $$ from the testing co's to distribute misinformation, here's some more gems from that website, "Marijuana-using teens are more likely to have multiple sexual partners and engage in unsafe sex."..really? pot makes you a Ho too?, here's another, "Marijuana use accounts for tens of thousands of marijuana related complaints at emergency rooms throughout the United States each year."....Huh? most people who smoke too much pot eat too many cookies and go to sleep, not call 911 LOL

Marijuana 911 cases actually qualify the concept of legalization. The reason people flip out on marijuana and go to the ER is 1) they're noobs 2) they don't know how much to smoke and end up smoking way too much 3) they're not 'used' to the change of mental state, so they get a rush of anxiety that causes an over reaction.

if it were legal, we could actually tell the truth about the drug, and educate people about how to deal with it. We'd have more knowledge about the potency of what is being consumed (aka warnings like "really strong shit: beware").

Knowing your dose is half the battle. If we started putting 25% ABV in beer instead of 6%, but didn't tell anybody, you'd have a rash of people going to the ER too.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Put up, or shut up. What you think has no bearing on reality. That's the realm of the religious, the superstitious, and children.

Smokeless tobacco doesn't cause health issues? LOL. someone has their head in the sand.

Exactly. I've seen the damage that smokeless tobacco can cause with mouth cancer. Don't even try to tell me that smokeless tobacco doesn't cause health issues because clearly you are wearing blinders. A high school student I went to school with had a chew in his mouth every day. Developed mouth cancer in that very spot where the chew was. Coincidence? Maybe, but feel free to google it for youself and see the damages that smokeless tobacco cause.

Apr 17, 2003
Er. . . . I think the operative word in "genetic information" is "genetic."

Blood screen for nicotine is more analogous to a standard drug test than it is to a genetic marker test.

I was talking about lipid panel the other poster mentioned...

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Quote:

You know as well as I do that MJ is harmful. There's no question about it. I posted a government source as well.

The point is that it will be the federal government health organizations making the decisions. As far as I can see, the federal government does not like MJ at all.

Personally, I don't care what you do at home, just admit that you want to get high. I don't care. I also don't care if your doctor prescribes it for you.

I just don't like the acceptance of smoking MJ and the virulent attacks on smoking tobacco. Both harm you, both increase employer costs, both increase healthcare costs.

Just stop the BS about it.

If you get high a lot, then face the consequences, don't pretend.

I want to smell MJ smoke about as much as I want to smell tobacco smoke, but I still don't care what you do on your free time.

Unless you come to work high, or drive high, or otherwise directly risk other people's lives, I couldn't care less what you smoke.

I'm waiting for the first lawsuit over legalized MJ smoking for the addiction and the damage it causes, just like the lawsuits from tobacco smokers. Hey you sold me a product that made me addicted and it ruined my life and my health. I had no idea smoking it was bad for me...

Apr 17, 2003
no company wants to pay the medical benefits for a smoker. It can also show bad judgement about the person and little self control to continue smoking (with all the info we know about smoking and 2nd hand smoke). Plus smoking outside the door does actually affect other employees walking in and out, sitting next too etc.. Mostly a bottom line decision, I'm sure they've run all the numbers, figured how much smokers are costing them in sick days, productivity, current healthcare, their families exposed to 2nd hand smoke and their healthcare, future healthcare for pensions etc.

Exactly.

My friend runs a small business and he offers coverage to all his employees...he also pays for their gym membership in an effort to encourage healthy living for medical costs. His stupid partner buys all his employees candy and pizza to make up for when he acts like a jerk...