Hey smokers, how would you like to get denied a job because you smoke?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SunnyD, Nov 14, 2012.

1. SunnyD

SunnyD Belgian Waffler

In Alabama, the state's largest employer, UAB, will start actively screening job applicants for nicotine and will turn away smokers starting in 2013. Period. (Okay, people that smoke, chew, snuff, basically anything.)

And they think that this will legally be upheld. Weee!

2. brianmanahan

brianmanahan Lifer

tabacco is pot light

and you wouldn't hire a pot smoker, would you? i think not

3. SunnyD

SunnyD Belgian Waffler

Really? :colbert:

4. Phynaz

Phynaz Diamond Member

Not a problem for me. I smoked for 30 years until my employer instituted a no smoking policy. One of the best things that ever happened to me.

I see this as no different as an employer saying we won't hire you if you decide to use cyanide daily

5. Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit Diamond Member

so e-cigs are out too?

e-cigs do not cause health issues do they?

6. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

I think it's bullshit, and is an overreach of corporatised America. This country's going to shit, and the only bright spot is I'm closer to death than birth...

7. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

No, and neither does smokeless tobacco, not that that's any concern of an employer anyway. You're there to do a job, and your private life is private.

8. JackBurton

JackBurton Lifer

I don't have a problem with smokers, just understand you're not getting any "smoke breaks."

9. TechAZ

TechAZ Golden Member

It has already happened to at least one hospital down here in Phoenix for a year now. I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about the legalities of it, but it has been a year and I haven't heard of any legal disputes.

I don't understand how I cannot ask interviewees about how many children they have, if they have a car, if they have personal issues that would prevent them from being a reliable employee, etc.....but a business can not ask those questions yet tell someone they cannot work there because they participate in a legal activity outside of work that does not affect them at work.

It's hypocritical to cite health reasons when there are obese employees. The real reason companies do this is to save money on their health insurance payments. Once health insurance companies start charging more for fat/obese people (I believe it will happen within a few years), I could see companies not hiring people over a certain body fat %.

10. gorcorps

gorcorps aka Brandon

It may not be fair to some, but I also believe companies should be allowed to hire who they want for the reasons they choose. It's their company so why shouldn't they be allowed to let it rise or fall based on their hiring practices? If they weren't allowed to then that's just the government sticking their dick further into where it doesn't belong.

11. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

That's fine. Company property and time are theirs, and they can set the rules for THEIR property. That doesn't extend to my house.

12. arkcom

arkcom Golden Member

You don't really believe that, do you? :eek:

13. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

I've already been through this with sixone. If you care to produce some peer reviewed research, I'm all eyes. I've read plenty myself, and tobacco's no worse than other minor vices like moderate alcohol use, coffee, or McDonalds.

Edit:
    And don't bother with research that focuses on non-US or European tobacco. Other countries(third world) mix some nasty shit in with their tobacco that makes it particularly hazardous.

#13 lxskllr, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  14. SKORPI0

SKORPI0 Lifer

Probably to cut cost in spending $$$ from health related issues due to smoking. Rarely calling of sick, no loss of productivity, etc. The company would be saving a lot if they have healthy employees right?

15. BUTCH1

BUTCH1 Lifer

My company is going "tobacco-free" next week, only time to smoke is at lunch, then you have to clock out, leave the property. We're looking around the woods in the back of the plant for a spot, no smoking at a coffee break as that's paid for so you can't step off company property. Oh, we have 2 company's nearby the do in fact test for nicotine and will not hire on a positive test. Thing is in both companies they had to "grandfather" in all the current smokers when the policy took effect, our company was considering this too but 75% of the people in my dept alone smoke so they didn't bother..

16. lykaon78

lykaon78 Golden Member

Smoking isn't a protected class like race, religion, gender, etc... therefore companies can legally discriminate on the basis of someone's smoking status.

17. BUTCH1

BUTCH1 Lifer

But you wonder where it ends. Could companies require physical exams that include blood-work for a lipid panel?. Sorry Mr Smith, your HDL/LDL is WAY out of whack not to mention your triglycerides, you test out like a bacon freak Mr. Smith, I'm sorry, we can't use you..

18. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

It's exactly the same, and the only reason they can get away with it is tobacco users are minorities. I'm an asshole, but I'll still defend you heavy meat eaters, and soda drinkers. I'd appreciate the same regard in return. Some locations are already infringing on personal liberty for food items, and it will become mainstream if people don't stand up for themselves. You all better hope there's enough of us to speak for you when that time comes.

19. Corporate Thug

Depends on state law. For example, CA just passed a law to prevent discrimination against genetic information, which a blood panel would arguably fall under.

http://leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/sen/sb_0551-0600/sb_559_bill_20110906_chaptered.pdf

20. wirednuts

wirednuts Diamond Member

good. let the idiot employers worry about stuff that doesnt matter so i can gain a competitive advantage in my own ventures.

21. Cattlegod

Cattlegod Diamond Member

if any of those measures skew toward a protected class then it is illegal. otherwise it is perfectly fine.

22. Markbnj

Markbnj Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus

Would you really want to work for this company?

23. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

Damn good. More companies need to reject tobacco users,

24. Sho'Nuff

Sho'Nuff Diamond Member

Ok. How about an NIH report on the health implications of smokeless tobacco?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1751814/

25. Sho'Nuff

Sho'Nuff Diamond Member

Er. . . . I think the operative word in "genetic information" is "genetic."

Blood screen for nicotine is more analogous to a standard drug test than it is to a genetic marker test.