Hey Plex users...

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
I know we've got at least a few others on here. Anyone else hate the new update for the Xbox One app? I've been using Plex a long time and this is the first time I've been truly unhappy with an update.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I absolutely hated the overhaul they put out a few years ago that completely changed it, and am still using plex classic. I take the 'if it ain't broke, dont fix it' approach. I especially really hate the account BS that they use now. If it ever breaks, I'll probably move to something else. They ruined a good thing.

cfenton

Jul 27, 2015
It's different, but I don't think it's worse. It took me a few days to get used to, but it's fine now.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I absolutely hated the overhaul they put out a few years ago that completely changed it, and am still using plex classic. I take the 'if it ain't broke, dont fix it' approach. I especially really hate the account BS that they use now. If it ever breaks, I'll probably move to something else. They ruined a good thing.

Honestly, I'm having a hard time finding a good Windows-based Plex playback software. At first, I used Plex Home Theater, which is their original Windows software. It worked fine for TV and movies, but it had problems with anime. Maybe one out of every 5-10 episodes, the software would crash-to-desktop when trying to skip around the file. After that, I switched to OpenPHT, which is an open source variant of Plex Home Theater. It's a little bit better, but it sometimes has the same crash problem.

Lately, I've been testing Plex Media Player, which is Plex's latest Windows software (not the Windows Store one). It doesn't crash or anything like that; however, I'm not the biggest fan of its UI and there are times where it doesn't Direct Play a file that both PHT and OpenPHT do.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
App.plex.tv doesn't work all that well compared to the chromeapp

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
App.plex.tv doesn't work all that well compared to the chromeapp

I'm still using a mix of the PMP and OpenPHT. Neither of them work well, which is somewhat disappointing, but I can deal with a random crash every now and again. Although, on one of my machines, I've been running into bitstreaming problems. Every now and again, I cannot bitstream until I reboot the machine. It doesn't matter which player I'm using as I just end up with no sound on either of them (unless bitstreaming is disabled).

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I look at the android app on my phone and then the IOS app on my wife's phone and I cry a little.

monkey333

Apr 20, 2007
slightly OT here, but I end up watching my media within the plex server app. The issue I've had is plex is seeing the media player as a diff pc when its on the same pc as the server, therefore transcoding to something other than original.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
slightly OT here, but I end up watching my media within the plex server app. The issue I've had is plex is seeing the media player as a diff pc when its on the same pc as the server, therefore transcoding to something other than original.

It may have to do with your settings. Also, if you are using the web browser client, it will almost always transcode.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013

Given the whole point of Plex is being able to stream your media anywhere, I guess I could see why it would assume the player was running on a different device than the server. That said, unless you're going through the browser, that shouldn't force it to transcode.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002

You are mistaken, there is no user interface for the plex server. editing and adding files and videos is done via the same web interface that you playback from normally. There are limitations to this (and pretty much all of plex's playback methods) that can easily cause transcoding to be required. Unless you are strict about the type of video files you use and hardcode ALL SUBTITLES, it is virtually impossible to avoid transcoding.