Hey NFS4 and ViperGTS, feel this pain :)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Linh

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
don't you think it's neat debating about cars none of us will ever own?

Anand Lal Shimpi

Boss Emeritus
Staff member
Oct 9, 1999
So my philosophy professor decided to let us out early because he wasn't getting enough response from the class during his lecture. Considering that my front page post happend at 5:32AM and this was an 8:05AM philosophy class, well, I didn't feel too up to responding much so I can live with the decision ;) Which brings me to the Forums for the next 15 minutes before I have to head over to my history class.

lupin

I've been meaning to respond to your post in particular. At first I glanced at the pic and it didn't hit me, but then it just clicked and I realized what I was looking at. Nice ride ;) What do you think about the new M3?

Soybomb

I actually saw one for the first time about three weeks ago. I was driving over to the lab after one of my morning classes when I saw it slowly glide by going perpendicular to me while I was stopped at a traffic light. Some sort of an explitive flew out of my mouth as I pulled out into traffic to follow it. Man was that thing beautiful, it was in Ferrari Fly Yellow and I followed it for a good 10 - 15 minutes. It looks incredible in person. The driver never opened 'er up though, always hummed along at the lower revs.

I'd love to get a ride in one, I know an owner down in New Orleans but I have yet to find an excuse to fly down there so I can actually check it out first hand.

As for me picking up a 360, when you can convince all the speculators out there to let those things go at MSRP and not MSRP + $100K then maybe ;) Seriously though, I'm not in the market for a new car but that doesn't mean I can't drool :)

Take care,
Anand

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Hey Anand, who do you have for philosophy? I'm thinking of taking that next semester.

Thorn

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
360 Mmmmmmm... That's some balls to the wall excitement there, I rode in one this summer (owned by Thomas Baker of Baker and Sons, a clothier here in Knoxville) and I have to say it really won me over. Haven't had feelings like that while riding in a car since I drove a buddy's Lotus Esprit back in HS (rich b@stard). ;)

But I do have to make one point... the 550 Maranello is not, and I repeat not, that type of sports car. It's supposed to be the definition of a luxury sports/touring car. The refinement and smoothness of it are what make it an incredible car (although it is overpriced), not it's 0-60 times.

BTW, the most intimidating car I've ever placed my buns in was a `97 McLaren F1 GPX Modified (stripped for racing and heavily tuned), Baker and Sons here in Knoxville has 3 McLarens. I believe the other 2 are an `82 and a `74. They built the `74 from the frame up and I actually got to watch them install the body panels... talk about a religious experience. :) I could wander around in their garage in awe all day. Uh well, actually, I did that not too long ago. hehehe

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Apparently, those Ferraris were all test cars that could not be sold or used due to the fact that they all had heavy modifications to them that would make them prohibitedly expensive to refurbish.

lupin

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999

<< Nice ride >>

YEAHH!!! ;)

Anand,
The new M3 is nice city car, but overweight. There is a quote from BMW CAR that perfectly sums it up: &quot;Is the new M3 a winner then? Without a doubt, yes. While the E30 M3 still remains the pinnacle of M3ness, the E46 is the closest BMW can expect to get to the E30's heart while satisfying the demands of today's M3 driver.&quot;

All I can say is, Ferrari does a much better job improving their 355, than BMW did with the M3.

Anand Lal Shimpi

Boss Emeritus
Staff member
Oct 9, 1999
lupin

I still think that the new M3 is the best overall car, and the perfect combination would be the new M3 as a daily driver and a 360 Spyder for havin' some fun. I agree completely that the M3 weighs entirely too much. While from 0-125mph the M3 can without a doubt keep up with a 911, throw in a few curves and you'll feel the difference between the ultimate driving machine and a 2900 lbs handling god.

Take care,
Anand