Hey morans, the VP does not have a job description

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Yo OP, here's a moran who thinks the VP is in charge of the US Senate and sets policy there!

What a moran! :shocked:

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ
Originally posted by: manowar821
How come so many people don't know what "moran" means?

Anyway, ZeroIQ surely does live up to his name.

"VP's only job, as defined by the constitution, is to preside over the senate and vote in the event of a tie. Oh and become the POTUS if he/she croaks. " Yet you say there is no job description...? LOL WUT.

LOL YEAH FUNNY STUFF.

I'm addressing the fact that people are ridiculing her for saying that she would preside over the senate and demanding she say what else she would do as if their is some of of bullet list of VP jobs.

Oh, and thanks for bringing up my name ;)

I think you misunderstood...
She didn't say that the VP presides over the Senate, what she said was:

"they're in charge of the United States Senate, so if they want to they can really get in there with the senators and make a lot of good policy changes that will make life better for Brandon and his family and his classroom"

There really is a HUGE difference between those 2 terms, and IMHO it should be a basic qualification for the position to actually know and understand that.
Just a thought...

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Really.

Enough with the parsing. We should give palin a little rope. The difference between presiding over the senate and being in charge of the senate is tiny - just like the difference between giving the orders "ready the nukes" and "launch the nukes".

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: seemingly random
Really.

Enough with the parsing. We should give palin a little rope. The difference between presiding over the senate and being in charge of the senate is tiny - just like the difference between giving the orders "ready the nukes" and "launch the nukes".

Not really...and in fact she amplifies her misunderstanding when she talks about "making policy" with the senators.
The difference is more like the difference between a Queen and the Prime Minister...
While the Queen is the titular head of state, the Prime Minister is the ruling head of state.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
What the hell do you think Palin would be doing all day if she becomes VP? Sit around and twiddle her thumbs? No sir! She will be having a big influence and that is something this country does not need. She is awful.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Being VP isn't like applying for an office temp job, nobody hands you a job description. The fact that Palin said she didn't know what the VP did is NOT the same thing as saying the VP has no job description, it's saying SHE has no idea what she'd do with the job if she got it.

I agree with ZeroIQ that there is no set in stone job description, but that's the whole freaking point...Palin should be providing her own, not expecting one to be handed to her and acting confused when that doesn't happen.

WRONG. POTUS sets the VP's job description.

Her answer has been, more or less, preside over the senate and she is being attacked over it.

This is a total distortion of what she said. She said the VP LEADS the senate and actively mixes it up with the senate in coming up with legislation, both of which are completely wrong. In other words, she probably read the phase "presides over the sentate" and filled in her own definition of what she thought that means. The attacks on her for this are therefore completely warranted.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: shira
This is a total distortion of what she said. She said the VP LEADS the senate and actively mixes it up with the senate in coming up with legislation, both of which are completely wrong. In other words, she probably read the phase "presides over the sentate" and filled in her own definition of what she thought that means. The attacks on her for this are therefore completely warranted.

That is exactly what scares me about her the most. Her interpretation of her job combined with her history and everything she has been saying and doing since McCain picked her is very frightening.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Xavier434

That is exactly what scares me about her the most. Her interpretation of her job combined with her history and everything she has been saying and doing since McCain picked her is very frightening.

What I was referring to with this thread is people attacking her for WHAT ELSE she is going to do. I know she has answered once that she would set policy and work with the senators... which she could help with if asked but that's not her job. I'm pretty sure I've heard her answer the question correctly before - that she would preside over the senate.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007

What I was referring to with this thread is people attacking her for WHAT ELSE she is going to do. I know she has answered once that she would set policy and work with the senators... which she could help with if asked but that's not her job. I'm pretty sure I've heard her answer the question correctly before - that she would preside over the senate.
Like any hairy primate, she's trainable to a certain extent.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

That's the other half I fear. The "what else" half. We have already seen "what else" she has chosen to do after being elected into previous positions of power. I am not drawing any concrete conclusions knowing very well that I cannot predict the future, but "what else" she might do while following the trends of her past is a scary thought to say the least if she gets elected as VP.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007

That's the other half I fear. The "what else" half. We have already seen "what else" she has chosen to do after being elected into previous positions of power. I am not drawing any concrete conclusions knowing very well that I cannot predict the future, but "what else" she might do while following the trends of her past is a scary thought to say the least if she gets elected as VP.

She will do what else McCain gives her the power to do. Just as Biden will do what else Obama gives him the power to do.

Should I be concerned Biden will try to now split Iraq into 3 countries now that he is in the so very powerful VP spot? Your irrational fear is mind boggling.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005

She will do what else McCain gives her the power to do. Just as Biden will do what else Obama gives him the power to do.

Should I be concerned Biden will try to now split Iraq into 3 countries now that he is in the so very powerful VP spot? Your irrational fear is mind boggling.

First and foremost, the fact that you are getting your information from Sean Hannity is pretty telling of your political mindset.

Secondly, the fact that you are defending Palin in this is very telling of your lack of understanding of the Constitution and the role of the VP as defined within it.

Thirdly, why did I bother posting in this incredibly stupid thread again?

Lastly, McCain can not "give her the power" to do shit. Her role is simply to cast tie-breaking votes (which is incredibly unlikely) and to check on McCain's health. Dick Cheney was the exception...not the rule when it comes to the power of the VP.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Her answer has been, more or less, preside over the senate and she is being attacked over it.

In Palin's case, "more or less" means more bullshit and less truth. When evaluating a candidate for President or Vice President, what they say, "more or less," doesn't cut it. Exactly what she said is that the Vice President is "... in charge of the United States Senate, so if they want to they can really get in there with the senators and make a lot of good policy changes..."

That is patently false.

Originally posted by: apocalypse
The problem is if McCain's health fails. Then we have a problem.

Be afraid. Be VERY afraid. From research from the University of Chicago:

Among male non-smokers, 70 percent of the men who turned 60 in 1990 will be alive by age 80, while 73 percent of those who turned 60 in 1996 are expected to live to age 80, according to the same data.

From WrongDiagnosis.com:

Prognosis of Melanoma

Survival rate statistics for Melanoma: The following are statistics from various sources about the survival rate for Melanoma:
27.7% of people with multiple melanomas survive after 5 years in the US 1983-90

I'm sure it's more complex, but simple straight line multiplication make the odds around 20% that McCain will survive a term as President, and that's before considering the effects of the stress of the office.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong

First and foremost, the fact that you are getting your information from Sean Hannity is pretty telling of your political mindset.

Secondly, the fact that you are defending Palin in this is very telling of your lack of understanding of the Constitution and the role of the VP as defined within it.

Lastly, McCain can not "give her the power" to do shit. Her role is simply to cast tie-breaking votes (which is incredibly unlikely) and to check on McCain's health. Dick Cheney was the exception...not the rule when it comes to the power of the VP.

RightIsWrong summed up my thoughts for the most part.

The bottom line is that we are all trying to our best job at predicting what will happen should either Obama/Biden or McCain/Palin get into office. Combining the past and combining it with what is being said now by any of them to try and predict the future is all we can do. That is all I am doing with Palin and that is all you are doing with Biden. There is nothing wrong with that.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong

Read up on the history of the VP. They have as much or as little power as the POTUS gives them. The president can have the VP write legislation... but they can't introduce it.

I HATE Hannity, I hate O'Reily, I hate Greta. I was working on a website last night in the living room and my family ONLY watches Fox news. It pisses me off. Just because I bring up a show does not prove my partisan leanings. I haven't been able to take Fox seriously after this: text.

Me getting upset that people are demanding to know what roles she will be taking as VP as if she has a bullet list does not prove my lack of understanding of the constitution. If you read my posts in here you will know full well I completely understand the role of the VP as defined by the constitution. What you don't seem to understand is that the VP takes on certain roles because of precedent, and serves in those roles at the whim of the President.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Harvey

In Palin's case, "more or less" means more bullshit and less truth. When evaluating a candidate for President or Vice President, what they say, "more or less," doesn't cut it. Exactly what she said is that the Vice President is "... in charge of the United States Senate, so if they want to they can really get in there with the senators and make a lot of good policy changes..."

That is patently false.

You're right, she is wrong in that she does not constitutionally have the power to make policy decisions, however, she could help to introduce legislation, help out in writing it, ideas, etc. Which I'm sure she meant but you guys take it as you will.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: jonks
she could help to introduce legislation, help out in writing it, ideas, etc

whoa boy.

whoa boy what exactly? You don't think legislation introduced by the president (of course the pres can't just walk in there and bring it to a vote, it would need a sponsor) won't have help from the VP? It will if the president wants the help. Senators can request help in getting votes for a piece of legislation or input.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

whoa boy.

whoa boy what exactly? You don't think legislation introduced by the president (of course the pres can't just walk in there and bring it to a vote, it would need a sponsor) won't have help from the VP? It will if the president wants the help. Senators can request help in getting votes for a piece of legislation or input.

I made the same mistake you did in another thread. My whoa boy was envisioning Palin attempting to draft a legal sentence.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003

whoa boy.

I made the same mistake you did in another thread. My whoa boy was envisioning Palin attempting to draft a legal sentence.

"Hey fellas, I think article 2335(a) could use a 'You betcha!' at the end of it!"

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Farang

whoa boy.

"Hey fellas, I think article 2335(a) could use a 'You betcha!' at the end of it!"

hahaha okay :laugh: