Hey, GM: Can I retire at 48, too?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Ozoned
I got Military pension @ 20 years.
I get Railroad pension at age 60.

GM doesn't have shit over that scenario.

Actually a lot of of military turn around and go civil service after retiring from the military. Then they retire again in 20 from civil service.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: bozack
Originally posted by: ironwing
Pttttt. Do finance people honestly convince themselves they produce shit or do they just go with the flow and take the money knowing it's all BS?

They market themselves to make others feel they are worth it...since I don't work in finance I really don't give them much thought other than I don't think any of these industries should be bailed out.

You don't give much thought to anything.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: charrison

Actually a lot of of military turn around and go civil service after retiring from the military. Then they retire again in 20 from civil service.

You guys don't see anything wrong with government employees living better than private sector who pay for it? I remember and prolly you too Ozoned, a time where it was opposite.

Another unsustainable system.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
with massive unfunded liability, the auto bailout is nothing but a handoff to the unions.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: TheoPetro
GM is a pension fund financed by selling cars. The fucktard unions are responsible for as much of the bullshit as the entrenched stubborn management. I say let them both burn. The rich in this country need a reality check as badly as the poor.

To the rich: you cant go around acting like fucking twits because you have some misguided superiority complex. Stop seeing employees as commodities and learn to treat people correctly or GTFO.

To the poor: grow the fuck up, the man hasn't been holding you down, man up. Place SOME value in education and pull yourselves out of your situation. If you cant afford it DONT FUCKING BUY IT YOU GOD DAMN IDIOTS!
I like this guy.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Originally posted by: jpeyton
The whining on this forum has gotten out of control.

Peyton I figured you'd be gone by now given that your leader had gotten the seat....what, not used to it when the shoe is on the other foot??

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

Moonie if you were in any way relevant then I might actually care what you think...keep hacking away though.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Zebo
Join USMC then you can get it after 20 yrs. Why the hate for working man?
No kidding and most of those in the service aren't in harm's way, they are support.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008

You guys don't see anything wrong with government employees living better than private sector who pay for it? I remember and prolly you too Ozoned, a time where it was opposite.

Especially when you consider the majority of the government workers are sitting around with their fingers up their asses half the day.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: nobodyknows

Especially when you consider the majority of the government workers are sitting around with their fingers up their asses half the day.
So you're a Government Worker?

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: jpeyton
The whining on this forum has gotten out of control.

:thumbsup: Seriously. Just browse the recent threads. P&N? More like bitch and moan.

OP - this is neither politics or news.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: bozack
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

Moonie if you were in any way relevant then I might actually care what you think...keep hacking away though.

Oh the freaking irony.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

How many fingers do you have up your ass??

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

My Dad was.

What's your excuse? :p

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda

How many fingers do you have up your ass??

LOL, bend over and I'll show you. :evil:

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

My Dad was.

I work nights and some weekends and I don't have time sitting around with my fingers up my ass to post here when I am at work.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008

My Dad was.

I work nights and some weekends and I don't have time sitting around with my fingers up my ass to post here when I am at work.

I'm self employed and winter is the slow season, so I can pretty much do what I want, when I want.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

My Dad was.

I'm self employed and winter is the slow season, so I can pretty much do what I want, when I want.
When's harvest season

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008

My Dad was.

When's harvest season

Am I detecting a note of jealousy?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

My Dad was.

When's harvest season

Nah I stopped smoking weed decades ago.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008

My Dad was.

When's harvest season

Nah I stopped smoking weed decades ago.

Me too.... except for special occasions.... like harvest season. :laugh:

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Join USMC then you can get it after 20 yrs. Why the hate for working man? You guys don't see that this wholesale shift aboard, while getting you cheap goods temporary, will inevitably put you at their standard of living? Or worse since you owe them? Keep it up, you'll see.

I want to say this as clearly as it can be said. The offshoring of American jobs is the antithesis of free trade. Free trade is based on comparative advantage. Jobs offshoring is an activity in pursuit of lowest factor cost?an activity that David Ricardo, the originator of the free trade theory, described as the betrayal of one?s own country in pursuit of "absolute advantage."

The "free market" shills on the payroll of the U.S. Chamber, NAM, and in economics departments and think tanks that are recipients of grants from transnational corporations are whores aligned with elites who are destroying the American work force.

http://onlinejournal.com/artma...ish/article_4377.shtml

Because we're paying their bills, specifically the ones that pulled the company down the shitter? Have you noticed that noone else gets the same benefits... or at least no one whose employer is solvent?

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Annnnnnnnnnnnd to the unions who I almost forgot

DIAF!

Stop throwing your weight (what little you have left) around because you think that the "skill" of turning a knob or pushing a button deserves 40k a year. IT DOESNT!
Stop being mad at management because of their "dumb" decisions. Go get a god damned business degree and give it a try for yourself.
Stop the entitlement bullshit that you seem to love so much. You do not have the RIGHT to work for ANYONE. The company chooses who they want and if youre not it GTFO!

Why? Unless he gets a concentration, and even then unless it's from a top school, the union job will start higher, stay higher than a lot of jobs and offer a lot better benefits.

It's sad how many people are so pro-corporation. I can't call it anti-union per se. I can't necessarily call it pro-corporation either, but use whatever term you want. But either way, it's more like "whatever is best for the company" regardless of how much you're getting screwed. Pay cuts? Sure. Make my benefits slightly better than not having any? Ok! Retirement? Well, how about we'll match up to a certain amount (which can be pretty low) of money you're putting in.

Don't get me wrong, at least on that last part, I don't think people should depend entirely on pensions. However, when offered, they needed to be funded when the people who are going to receive them are working. How much they get once fully vested should also be sustainable. In the case of unions, as long as the pension fund is fully-funded, that last part is up to them IMO.

TheoPetro

Banned
Nov 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Strk
Annnnnnnnnnnnd to the unions who I almost forgot

DIAF!

Stop throwing your weight (what little you have left) around because you think that the "skill" of turning a knob or pushing a button deserves 40k a year. IT DOESNT!
Stop being mad at management because of their "dumb" decisions. Go get a god damned business degree and give it a try for yourself.
Stop the entitlement bullshit that you seem to love so much. You do not have the RIGHT to work for ANYONE. The company chooses who they want and if youre not it GTFO!

Why? Unless he gets a concentration, and even then unless it's from a top school, the union job will start higher, stay higher than a lot of jobs and offer a lot better benefits.

It's sad how many people are so pro-corporation. I can't call it anti-union per se. I can't necessarily call it pro-corporation either, but use whatever term you want. But either way, it's more like "whatever is best for the company" regardless of how much you're getting screwed. Pay cuts? Sure. Make my benefits slightly better than not having any? Ok! Retirement? Well, how about we'll match up to a certain amount (which can be pretty low) of money you're putting in.

Don't get me wrong, at least on that last part, I don't think people should depend entirely on pensions. However, when offered, they needed to be funded when the people who are going to receive them are working. How much they get once fully vested should also be sustainable. In the case of unions, as long as the pension fund is fully-funded, that last part is up to them IMO.

im assuming youre asking "why should they get a business degree and try to change it?" because if youre asking why they need to drop the entitlement bullshit then I cant help ya.

Heres my answer:
1) I believe that supply and demand curves should dictate the price for as many things as possible. Its the fairest way to do things. When you have something like labor rates that people depend on to live you cant let S&D control it because there is the possibility that the people wont have enough to live off. So in this case you set a price floor which we have done (minimum wage). When you have a select group (unions) trying to institute a much higher price floor it unbalances the whole thing. You have open shop companies that can compete MUCH easier with unionized companies. If the markets are allowed to do their thing they should weed out all of the unionized companies. The thing is that unions found a powerful friend in some politicians. The unions have used government to make it more difficult for open shop companies to grow (take a look at how many government jobs are awarded to open shop companies, its damn close to zero). This essentially brings the efficiency level of the whole market down to the level of the unionized companies hurting the overall economy.

2) Im addressing the GM case specifically because I have heard the most recently about how management made such dumb decisions and about how they dont understand why the executives get paid so much. To really understand someone's job you need to try it out for yourself. If the employees think they would have done a better job then they should put their money where their mouth is. I would like to see your average joe run a successful company. Theres a reason most startups fail. Its not easy to do.

3) On to the benefits bullshit. I would like to cut all benefits and increase pay levels. Its retarded that the companies are responsible for your health insurance and retirement. Give the $ to the people and let them decide what to do with it. If they dont save for retirement on their own then they can work until they die for all I care.The company owes the employees a paycheck for work performed. There is no guarantee for the company that sales will come in next year so why should there be a guarantee for the employee to have a job next year. The idea of defined benefit plans is absolutely asinine. For the companies that started them and continue to use them they deserve bankruptcy I do agree that if it was offered it should be funded but for a lot of them its impossible to fund them because of people living longer than actuarial tables predicted when the plans were created. Some people refuse to see this and say "well we were promised this wheres our $?" Well where the heck would you like the company to get the $?

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
In regard to your second point, how many union jobs have you worked? If they don't understand why executives get paid so much, how about the reverse? For starters, not all union jobs get all the perks possible (kind of defeats the purpose of the union with some of them).

I don't think all companies should be unionized, but I do see their benefit.