[Hexus]Nvidia’s F2P in-game cash bundle

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
It'd be nice if they let you choose which game you want the benefit for, but that might actually cost them something. Of those 3, I only play WoT, and if I could pick up $150 in WoT credit I'd jump on this and figure out a home for the new card lol.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Was actually curious about the free-to-play models and what kind of impact they are having on the PC Platform:

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/join-the-free-to-play-revolution

My guess it's like any other game. If it doesn't have the content, it won't be successful.

I can list six or seven F2P games I've played in the last 3-4 months, but at the end of the day, I still return to WoW and pay my subscription.

I'm currently replaying Tera since it went F2P this month (I originally had a sub, didn't make it pass the first month.) I'm enjoying the game now more so than I did when I was paying. However, like The Secret World and The Old Republic, while I enjoy the games, I have zero intentions of spending any money on them outside my initial purchase.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
It'd be nice if they let you choose which game you want the benefit for, but that might actually cost them something. Of those 3, I only play WoT, and if I could pick up $150 in WoT credit I'd jump on this and figure out a home for the new card lol.

I'm surprised they couldn't get their hands on an LoL offer. That would sell countless cards. I have so many LoL friends that could use an upgrade. a $50 GC for a GTX 650 Ti would go well with them.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Was actually curious about the free-to-play models and what kind of impact they are having on the PC Platform:

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/join-the-free-to-play-revolution

16.29% of Steam users are Russian speaking and this base is growing very fast. World of tanks has tournaments with $$$ in a pool. It's very popular over there. Steam has 50 million users. NV is targeting Europe with World of Tanks which is an online game with proven staying power. In many Eastern European countries (Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Poland, etc.), people are also much poorer, which would make cards like GTX650/650Ti more attractive. Since AMD has nothing with HD7750/7770, that makes GTX650/650Ti cards very favourable in other markets. This is actually a very intelligent bundle if you dig the numbers and gaming preferences. :awe:

Last edited:

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
For me the AMD bundle is way better, but these F2P games are very popular and yes people spend a lot of money on them. I'd say F2P games are the most played PC games in the world. Too bad for nvidia that they couldn't secure a deal with LoL though... 12 million daily players and 35 million accounts... any of those players looking for an upgrade would have jumped all over a card with bonus LoL cash.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Nice post! Personally think AMD's is better but also feel that nVidia's is an interesting concept based on the popularity of the free-to-play model and titles. Interesting thinking and curious what team or individual came up with the idea!

Crysis 4 may be free as Crytek claims its games will all be free-to-play in the future

"Warface still hasn’t officially opened for business around the world, but in Russia the game already has 5 million registered players. Crytek hasn’t disclosed how much revenue Warface has generated since opening for business. This much is true: During the summer quarter in 2012, when Warface released, the free-to-play games account for almost 50 percent of the entire European video game market, approximately $565 million."

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...-game-will-all-be-free-to-play-in-the-future/

I am telling you the European market is completely different from our North American one. All these games like Blacklight Retribution, World of Tanks, etc. they are popular and the popularity of F2P is growing in Europe way faster than here.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009

the game devs are trying to get as much exposure as possible. They aren't really interested in giving free stuff to people who already play the game. They want new players.

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
I am telling you the European market is completely different from our North American one. All these games like Blacklight Retribution, World of Tanks, etc. they are popular and the popularity of F2P is growing in Europe way faster than here.

F2P is a PC-payment-modell. So it makes sense that F2P is much more dominant than in the USA which is a console land.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
F2P is a PC-payment-modell. So it makes sense that F2P is much more dominant than in the USA which is a console land.

I think it's more to do with economics and culture. For someone who makes $5K a month a $50 game is not a lot of $. For someone who makes $500 a month, $50 for a game is a lot of $. F2P allows people in lower income levels to become gamers and even if they pay a little bit to play that game, the developer gets some $ instead of $0. The other thing is piracy. It's so much greater for software/PC games in Eastern Europe, that the F2P + small transactions allows the developers to at least make some profits since not many people buy $50 games legitimately. In the US, with higher income income levels and most likely way lower piracy rates, there is a lot less interest in the F2P model. People buy a game and if they don't like it they just move on. It's not a large fraction of their monthly income.

Arzachel

Apr 7, 2011
16.29% of Steam users are Russian speaking and this base is growing very fast. World of tanks has tournaments with $$$ in a pool. It's very popular over there. Steam has 50 million users. NV is targeting Europe with World of Tanks which is an online game with proven staying power. In many Eastern European countries (Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Poland, etc.), people are also much poorer, which would make cards like GTX650/650Ti more attractive. Since AMD has nothing with HD7750/7770, that makes GTX650/650Ti cards very favourable in other markets. This is actually a very intelligent bundle if you dig the numbers and gaming preferences. :awe:

While I do agree that f2p games are getting pretty huge, hell I probably spent most of my gaming time on f2p games last year, but I'm not sure I can agree with your conclusion that Nvidia "aimed" the bundle at anyone. What you're forgetting is that bundles are only the metaphorical cherry on top of a purchase.

Nvidia's cards are more expensive at the same tier for pretty much the whole lineup in europe, which would be somewhat off putting to a budget conscious consumer and the games themselves aren't exactly necessitating far more GPU power. WoT is the biggest of the three while also being the oldest and least GPU demanding, the gold is only "free" when you actually need the thing that comes with it :D Hawken lacks a fanbase that would be truly swayed by this. And while Planetside 2 is pretty demanding, it's also extremely CPU bound ( and ran like crap last time I tried it ). The target audience for this bundle are people that like at least two of those games enough to drop money on them and who also play other more GPU demanding games to make the upgrade worthwhile.

A bit of a stretch really, especially for people that supposedly don't have too much money to blow on entertainment.

Last edited:

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Once again VC&G delivers in ways that ATOT and P&N could only hope for. I am eating popcorn too btw.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
If I needed to upgrade. This is actually pretty nice. I actively play WoT and dabble in Planetside 2.