[Hexus]Nvidia’s F2P in-game cash bundle

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/51581-nvidias-f2p-in-game-cash-bundle/ "Nvidia has announced a new bundle campaign today, for buyers of its GeForce GTX 650 or above series of graphics cards. The bundle is entitled the Nvidia Gear Up Free 2 Play Bundle and is focussed upon helping buyers enjoy the best paid-for extras in some of the most popular F2P (free 2 play) games around; Planetside 2, World of Tanks and Hawken. From today buyers of GeForce GTX 650 or above cards “will receive up to £100 of in-game value to use”. (up to $150 in the US)" Looks a bit weird to me honestly.How many people actually play these games?

Last edited:

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
helping buyers enjoy the best paid-for extras in some of the most popular F2P (free 2 play) games around...buyers of GeForce GTX 650 or above cards “will receive up to £100 of in-game value to use”. (up to $150 in the US)"

Lol, You see these ridiculous "business moves" by an obviously desperate company because they do not have any other options. They have no new technology to overtake anything out there now, and to even move one of their products off the shelves, will give away money to make it happen.

-Keysplayer.

Last edited:

joshhedge

Nov 19, 2011
Never Settle Reloaded is a far better bundle in my opinion, the only worthwhile one in this would be for Planet Side 2. F2P games really get on my nerves how you pay for an advantage, I can understand the benefits from it for the company, but loathe its principle.

Last edited:

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Never Settle Reloaded is a far better bundle in my opinion.

It's immensely better. F2P game items...how utterly lame. But since there is a distinct lack of AAA TWIMTBP titles coming out Nvidia is desperate - and it shows.

Last edited:

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Why? Crisis 3 is just a scrappy walled off console port with bad graphics.

At least these are all PC titles, two of them even have physx!

Way to start a thread guys!

joshhedge

Nov 19, 2011
It's immensely better. F2P game items...completely lame. But since there is a distinct lack of AAA TWIMTBP titles coming out Nvidia was desperate.

Clearly their GPU sales are less than adequate for Nvidia to resort to this.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
Lol, a ridiculous move by an obviously desperate company because they do not have any other options. They have no new technology to overtake anything out there now, and to even move one of their products off the shelves, will give away money to make it happen.

-Keysplayer.

hahaha :thumbsup:

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
Why? Crisis 3 is just a scrappy walled off console port with bad graphics.

At least these are all PC titles, two of them even have physx!

Way to start a thread guys!

Way to a bash a game thats not even out. Which by the looks of it you wont be able to play on decent settings anyway given your lack of modern GPU.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Free stuff is always good, but I have to say: with Nvidia sitting on plenty of cash I think they should have more ambition in terms of gaming bundles. They can do better than this. I'm sure the counter argument is that the lack of a decent bundle here is completely AMD's fault coupled with a full stock / financial analysis.

Maybe they will lower prices a tad once Titan is released? I wonder if any other moves are in the works with Titan looming on the horizon.

Last edited:

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Free stuff is always good, but I have to say: with Nvidia sitting on plenty of cash I think they should have more ambition in terms of gaming bundles. They can do better than this. I'm sure the counter argument is that the lack of a decent bundle here is completely AMD's fault coupled with a full stock / financial analysis.

Maybe they will lower prices a tad once Titan is released? I wonder if any other moves are in the works with Titan looming on the horizon.

I'm surprised they're even doing a game bundle like this at all. It looks to be a direct target for those communities to move some lower-end GPUs, perhaps?

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
Interesting concept based on how popular free-to-play games are for PC growth over-all. Never recalled a bundle like this before.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Those games would not convince me to buy an nVidia card. Heck Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite wouldn't even convince me to buy an AMD card...Tomb Raider would though...just the kind of games I like.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
All 3 of the games listed are immensely popular games right now. two are very new games and great graphics to push new cards. Giving stuff in game is a great deal, its not desperate at all.

I would rather have this than ATI bundle.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Way to a bash a game thats not even out.

Oh I'm sorry, you thought I was being serious given how receptive people have been towards the game in the other threads on it here?

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2299643

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2298465

Which by the looks of it you wont be able to play on decent settings anyway given your lack of modern GPU.

You must have missed the linked benchmarks, trust me my package is more than adequate. :awe:

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
I played Planetside 2 over 50 hours and for example Crysis 2 less than 8 hours.

The Alias

Aug 22, 2012
You must have missed the linked benchmarks, trust me my package is more than adequate. :awe:
lmao seriously though I think bioshock infinite and tombraider/crysis3 is more appealing than money for f2p games especially the cfx 7970/50 deal if there was a deal that'd be good enough to make people spring for a pc rather than a console it'd be that one hands down

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
LOL

If they wanted to give away worthless crap they should of gone with pets from the battle.net store for World of Warcraft. People would of actually cared then :D

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Oh I'm sorry, you thought I was being serious given how receptive people have been towards the game in the other threads on it here?

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2299643

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2298465

I think he's not so quick on the uptake. Not too mention, too many people are taken in by new shiny and don't realize just how powerful older tech still is.

Back on topic, this bundle is still pretty limiting. I'd rather have 2 games I don't like that I can sell rather than $100 worth of credit for a game I must use up (or try and sell to certain communities, and which value will drop immediately once the market gets saturated).

In actuality, I'd like to see cheaper cards, but that's a different story.

Last edited:

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
You can sell the codes. I mean there is a huge Planetside 2 market. I guess there are guys who would buy the codes.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
It's just a matter of opinion, I'm not sure why we all need to express ours when we know it's just going to create a huge argument which will quickly (as in response #1 onward) dwindling into the same old tired AMD vs Nvidia and personal attacks we see in every other thread.

F2P seems to be the future of the PC model, games like LoL, Dota 2, PlanetSide 2, World of Tanks, they all have rather large followings.

LoL (F2P)

New statistics from the creator of League of Legends (and a variety of industry sources) indicate that the free multiplayer PC real-time strategy game had an average of 3 million concurrent online users in July, besting the entire combined total peak player count for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 on Xbox 360 (1.4 million) and people playing the top 100 games on Steam (650,000).

Let's stick to facts, Nvidia is aiming their campaign at PC only titles that are quite popular with PC users. They aren't the big AAA titles that they've done in the past, but it's still interesting... And I said that free of opinions on the games listed.

It's an interesting move and a new way to approach these things, that is all. Keep the personal opinions of games and whatever else between yourself and your checkout cart.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
You can sell the codes. I mean there is a huge Planetside 2 market. I guess there are guys who would buy the codes.

I guess if I could get a decent amount of money for the code it would be worthwhile. I'm assuming the next few months are going to be very happy for PL2 players.

It's just a matter of opinion, I'm not sure why we all need to express ours when we know it's just going to create a huge argument which will quickly (as in response #1 onward) dwindling into the same old tired AMD vs Nvidia and personal attacks we see in every other thread.

F2P seems to be the future of the PC model, games like LoL, Dota 2, PlanetSide 2, World of Tanks, they all have rather large followings.

LoL (F2P)

Let's stick to facts, Nvidia is aiming their campaign at PC only titles that are quite popular with PC users. They aren't the big AAA titles that they've done in the past, but it's still interesting... And I said that free of opinions on the games listed.

It's an interesting move and a new way to approach these things, that is all. Keep the personal opinions of games and whatever else between yourself and your checkout cart.

I could really care less about what games either company decides to package. What matters to me is the resale value of those games. I don't keep the games for any card I buy, since I buy very few games in the first place and usually they don't include the ones in bundles. Since I still have a backlog of games, I'd rather get them as they go on sale. I sold AC3 and BL2 for $45 total, and if I wanted them, I'm sure they'll be on a steam sale for < $10 in a year.

It's definitely an interesting model to look forward to. I have no bad feelings towards F2P games (I've played a few myself), but it's a pretty weak bundle in terms of general value.

On the other hand, it's a nice touch that they're supporting gaming communities built around the PC. In the long term, it generates interest in PC-only games as opposed to big titles like AC3 which also support console gaming.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
This creates awareness for World of Tanks and have been meaning to try it out though. Where some see comedy and laughter, World of Tanks may the most popular title in the world, with around 45 million registered players -- that's a ton and very surprised by this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Tanks