Here We Go Again, Texas Edition - Man Killed Trying To Pick Up Son

himkhan

Jul 13, 2013
Chad Read’s widow releases video of deadly shooting; Carruth attorney makes case for self-defense

LUBBOCK, Texas (KCBD) - The attorney for Chad Read’s widow released a statement and video of the shooting that killed 54-year-old Chad Read on Nov. 5. Along with the video, the attorney supplied a petition filed on Wednesday showing Jennifer Read, Chad’s widow, is seeking custody of her late husband’s children from their mother.
The news release states, “Jennifer Read, the widow of Chad Read, has filed a Petition today seeking to take custody of Chad Read’s children from their mother, Christina Read. Because the new Lubbock Public Access System makes this information available to the public, and the likelihood of the information contained in her Petition and Affidavit being obtained by the media, she has decided that it is best to simply release the information directly instead of waiting for it to be discovered.”

And another angle of the shooting very NSFW:

This one is going to be defended very similarly by the shooters lawyer. Self-Defense. This is Texas. First fired a warning shot at his feet then when pushed or he pulled away took two more shots. I really feel bad for the fucking kid to be honest. I'm so happy I never had to deal with divorce as a kid or as an adult.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Based on the words used by the victim, sounds like he was supposed to pick up his kids at a certain time, which may have been court decided.

The mom says they aren't there, and the victim is verbally upset and accuses her of playing games.

The shooter is just being an idiot IMO, telling him to leave the premises, and then escalates with a firearm.

This didn't have to happen, guns make it easy.

Last edited:

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Holy shit the most insane thing about that video is just how little reaction there is to a dude just getting killed. These people are fucking insane.

I would be surprised if the shooter didn't walk, though. Texas. Guns. "Self defense."

Two aggressive dudes, one at the home of the other, victim reaches for shooter's gun, shooter kills him. Ezpz self defense. This is the country we live in.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I have no idea at this point what kind of father the victim was. But regardless, imagine being one of his kids who gets to sleep under the same roof as the man who callously gunned down your father because he was upset his kids weren't there at the scheduled time.

You get to know that forever, and likely your view of stepdad will be skewed accordingly.

That's some social emotional damage right there.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I have no idea at this point what kind of father the victim was. But regardless, imagine being one of his kids who gets to sleep under the same roof as the man who callously gunned down your father because he was upset his kids weren't there at the scheduled time.

You get to know that forever, and likely your view of stepdad will be skewed accordingly.

That's some social emotional damage right there.

I'd bet a hefty sum the kids would get an extremely edited version of events until they find out some other way.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
1st degree murder.

He had plenty of time to think about it after he went into the house. Then he choose to come back out with the gun intending it to escalate.
He has the legal standing to defend his property from the aggressor with lethal force (I believe, in Texas) and despite presenting with a weapon, the victim took a more aggressive posture and then touched the gun. As I said earlier, I'd be shocked if this isn't self-defense easily.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Holy shit the most insane thing about that video is just how little reaction there is to a dude just getting killed. These people are fucking insane.

I would be surprised if the shooter didn't walk, though. Texas. Guns. "Self defense."

Two aggressive dudes, one at the home of the other, victim reaches for shooter's gun, shooter kills him. Ezpz self defense. This is the country we live in.

Southerners often deride the city I'm from in the north as being crime filled and that we place a low value on life.

I show up in Texas for a few years and it's virtually Mad Max down here and nobody bats an eye.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I wonder with the increased prevalence of events like this being video'd whether that will have a generally humanizing or dehumanizing effect on the American public's perspectives on gun violence. I'm amazed at the idea that anyone could watch that video and think "good shoot", but I've been in enough 2A discussions to be confident of its inevitability.

For example, in a sane world I'd expect if a decent video was taken of a school shooting in all its horror and pointlessness that the American public would take overwhelmingly to the streets to demand a change in gun laws, but I can't help but think that the general reaction would be <shrug>.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
I wonder with the increased prevalence of events like this being video'd whether that will have a generally humanizing or dehumanizing effect on the American public's perspectives on gun violence. I'm amazed at the idea that anyone could watch that video and think "good shoot", but I've been in enough 2A discussions to be confident of its inevitability.

For example, in a sane world I'd expect if a decent video was taken of a school shooting in all its horror and pointlessness that the American public would take overwhelmingly to the streets to demand a change in gun laws, but I can't help but think that the general reaction would be <shrug>.
What gun law would you propose that would have prevented this from happening?

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
In MA, duty to retreat is in place, the guy with the gun would be jail without a doubt. Never again would he own a firearm in this state.
Exactly. Even in absence of duty to retreat, leaving a situation to go get a gun and come back clearly demonstrates a fairly low risk of bodily harm. Claiming self defense is insane. The gun owner intentionally escalated the situation.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Exactly. Even in absence of duty to retreat, leaving a situation to go get a gun and come back clearly demonstrates a fairly low risk of bodily harm. Claiming self defense is insane. The gun owner intentionally escalated the situation.
Yep, if he was really in fear, he and his wife would've went inside and waited for the cops to show. If the victim was in a fit of rage and broke down the door or came at them through a window, then I'm more likely to accept this as self - defense.

Side note: in MA, that type of firearm is prohibited AFAIK.

Reactions: Pohemi

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
All true, but I bet he walks in Texas.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris