Help with my absurd 3770k temps

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
Well I'm not sure what to make of my temps. Either I have an incredibly hot chip or I'm doing something wrong.

i7 3770k
Asrock z77 extreme 4
Zalman CNPS 10x performa w/MX-4 thermal paste
Corsair Obsidian 650D- ambient temp 72 deg

Running 45 x 100.

I've re-seat and re-applied paste literally like 4-5 times to make sure I've got a correct fit, and any voltage in the 1.18-1.19V range takes me up to 92-94 deg C on intel burn test (simply on standard setting) and prime after 20 minutes approaches 90 as well. I've tried all sorts of vcore fixed vs offset, LLC tweaking, PLL tweaking and as as soon as the vcore settles into 1.18 or 1.19, those are the temps I get.

Do I have a garbage cooler? A dud chip? I'm almost inclined to head down to microcenter and pick up an H80/100 or something because these temps seem absurd.

PS - I had my "old" 2600k in the system as a placeholder and didn't do a clean install with the cpu switch, altho Win7 did re-install a bunch of stuff. Silly quesiton, but could that somehow be throwing off the temps or anything? Sorry, I'm just scratching my head at these temps.

Last edited:

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
I am getting the same thing with the same CPU and same volts and same cooler. Im thinking this cooler is crap. When I am tightening it down it doesn't seem to have any resistance at all.

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
Hehe.

IBs hot. Drop volts and clock it down.

Fully understood.

But correct me if I'm wrong...but is anybody hitting mid 90s temps below 1.2v? I think you'd be hard pressed to see that.

Rvenger - I agree about this cooler, I think it is the only inevitable conclusion at this point. Frostytech's review seemed to make it sound decent and the numbers on their big chart seemed to rank it at least middle tier but I'm not seeing it. Think I may try the H80.

Rvenger

Apr 6, 2004
I just ordered a NZXT Havik 120... Lets hope that solves the issue.

Rvenger

Apr 6, 2004
I am not buying a rasa kit. I can go to the store tomorrow and pick up an H60 or H20 620.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
WATER!!!!!!!

Why does everyone continue to go air with ivy. Water is simple and the best cooling.

Cause water is hassles. Air is set it and forget it. No leak test, no changing the solution, no build up of gunk over time.

Good air is fine for most people. Ivy at 4.5Ghz shouldn't hit anywhere close to what the OP is getting if you look at reviews.

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
Cause water is hassles. Air is set it and forget it. No leak test, no changing the solution, no build up of gunk over time.

Good air is fine for most people. Ivy at 4.5Ghz shouldn't hit anywhere close to what the OP is getting if you look at reviews.

Don't use dyes and there's no buildup.

Rvenger

Apr 6, 2004
I am still going to roll with the Havik 120. I only want 4.4ghz.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Even still...good air is installed in 2 minutes and ready to go.

Same with the H100, but seriously if you are an enthusiast then how can checking the water every 4-6 months be that much of a bother? I mean he dropped 270 on a 3770K and wants to hit high OCs, so why not take a few minutes every month to keep the temps way down? Seems like a great trade off. I installed my over-the-top loop 4 months ago and haven't touched it except to look into the case and check the water level (while also admiring the loop haha.)

MPiland

Apr 9, 2012
Water doesn't always mean custom water. I'm using an H100 an it is quiet as all get out. I barely notice it.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Same with the H100, but seriously if you are an enthusiast then how can checking the water every 4-6 months be that much of a bother? I mean he dropped 270 on a 3770K and wants to hit high OCs, so why not take a few minutes every month to keep the temps way down? Seems like a great trade off. I installed my over-the-top loop 4 months ago and haven't touched it except to look into the case and check the water level (while also admiring the loop haha.)

As long as your carefull there will be no leaks. Most people gotta blow the dust out of a rig once a month or so anyways. How hard is it to top off the water if needed at the same time.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
I use the "simple" H60 on my one rig. The second fan made the biggest difference. The push/pull effect seems to work very well at keeping the "highend' temps when running full bore in check. The IvyBridge chips need an active way to pull the heat away when OCd. Not just a water loop but a radiator with a push/pull fan setup to dissapate the heat quickly.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
88C with IBT at 4.8Ghz with a modified H80 at 1.4v :)

Is that a 3770K Those V seem extremely high for that O/C . i am at 4.8ghz with 1.19v. temps have never gone over 60c. I paid alot to create this cooling system . more than most here have in their whole riggs.