Help with my absurd 3770k temps

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by gothuevos, May 9, 2012.

1. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

Because I haven't checked my Thermalright U-120 in 4 years. The fan spins and it's clean...done.

2. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

Better check the Cooler Master TPC 812. With a single fan it's within 3deg of a NH-D14 and it won't take up all your space.

[​IMG]

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1913/6/

3. Rvenger

Rvenger Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
    Super Moderator

Havik 120 is looking good too!

4. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

Yep. I did some research and found there's a few good cooling options out there that aren't $90 :)

5. exar333

exar333 Diamond Member

It is pretty much the same price, louder, and is within a few degrees of the LOW setting of the NH-D14. Nothing against the TPC (its a VERY good cooler) but its more than a couple degrees warmer. I threw a third fan on my NH-D14 and it keeps my 3930 VERY cool and would be great for IB as well. Noctua quality is pretty tough to beat, but if you cannot give up the space, the TPC is a great choice. If your case can hold it, the NH-D14 is the defacto standard of top-class air coolers for <$75. If space is really an issue, the H80 or H100 would be better anyways...

6. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

The NH-D14 is not less than $75...in fact it's closer to $90. Plus, the TPC 812 isn't that loud. Anyone who complains about fan noise with a stock cooler needs to learn how to set fan profiles :)

7. SickBeast

SickBeast Lifer

I have the havik 140 and it is a monster heatsink. It works great.q

8. Rvenger

Super Moderator

I had a Havik 140 as well and it cooled great. One of the fans went bad so I returned it.

9. exar333

exar333 Diamond Member

Try Google once in a while. You can find it for less than $70 from multiple sellers. I got mine for $65 on newegg...

10. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

Have you checked recently? Newegg is $90, Directon and Provantage are $80, us.ncix.com is $80, random sites I've never heard of come up in the $80 range. There is not one listing on Google (you think I didn't check?) that is below $70 and those are sites with no rating or have super expensive shipping which negates the price.

Besides all that I have done my research because I was actually ready to drop $80 on the NH-D14 no problem. As it turns out, I don't need to. There are other options that are cheaper and within 3deg as I showed you. Whether they are loud or not doesn't matter. I'm running a Panaflo H1-BX on this thing and it's at max RPM. You think a Cooler Master 812 or Havik is loud? Please...lol.

Seriously though I know where you're coming from but not everyone needs the Noctua and there's plenty of great options out there now.

#35 cmdrdredd, May 10, 2012
    Last edited: May 10, 2012
  11. gothuevos

gothuevos Member

LOL guess my luck.

Drove 30 min to MC and picked up a corsair H80. Got home, opened it up and the radiator and heatsink were dripping/leaking coolant all over the bag.

Ugh, back to MC I go tomorrow for an exchange.

12. Dadofamunky

Dadofamunky Platinum Member

Others have said this - throw out the Zalman. Their coolers are overpriced crap. I have never had a good experience with one. Some of them are pretty to look at but they are not good for overclocking at all.

13. SHAQ

SHAQ Senior member

WTF is a 3690X?

14. mychorrizae

mychorrizae Junior Member

I was excited to pick up the TPC 812 today as well. Im experiencing the same issues with temperatures as the op. Prior to the 812 I was using an H60 with fantastic temps. I had a modest OC of my 920 to 3.2 GHz and on the H60, the temps were approx 65 C stressed. Today, after installing the 812 (with AS5), exact same set up i had with the H60, to my astonishment, after stress stesting, my temps rose to 71C!!!!!! After reading all the hype in regards to the vapor chamber technology and heat pipes, I must say, bit disappointed with the 812.

15. AdamK47

AdamK47 Lifer

I got a H80 "free" when I purchased my 3960x back in November. Been sitting in a closet since about that time.

#40 AdamK47, May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 12, 2012
  16. Rvenger

Super Moderator

Well, I got the Havik 120 today and I installed it about 4 times because I couldn't mount it right, then the rubber straps that hold the fan is another joke. I am reinstalling windows and I notice that the solder points from the chokes are hitting up against the backplate. I am just lucky it didn't cause any harm I guess. I turned the bracket sideways and all is good. I ran out of Ceramique so I had to use the Zalman super thermal grease that came with the old heatsink. I am too tired tonight, I have a huge headache from tearing this build down multiple times. I will post some results hopefully tomorrow.

17. gothuevos

gothuevos Member

Any particular reason?

18. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

reapply TIM and try again.

19. mychorrizae

mychorrizae Junior Member

Reapplied TIM, no difference in my stress testing, high temperatures. I just dont think the cooler is all up to snuff as Cooler Master claimed. I wasnt expecting the world, but expected some nice cooling with the added vapour chamber. I didnt use the supplied TIM, but wondering (as if it hasnt been asked before) what TIM people are using and of course the method to which they spread.

20. tcclaviger

tcclaviger Junior Member

Awesome thread. Zalman lol there stuff is pretty but garbage, always has been.

Rasa 360 kit plus silver strip and distilled water needs only an annual service and is more effective and quieter while doing so than ANY retail air/closed loop system...

21. sm625

sm625 Diamond Member

If the cooler feels loose then surely there is a way to modify it so that it gets tighter, no? Shims? Spacers? Dremel? Bending of metal? Surely there has to be some simple way to make it fit tighter.

22. kami

kami Lifer

That chart is stock speeds, if you look at the overclocked chart the gap widens and it doesn't show the tpc 812 low setting (to make it silent like the Noctua) which means the gap could be even wider there. 40db fan vs. 19db fan is quite the difference, and if you buy a silent fan to go with it you may as well just get the Noctua IMO which comes with 2 silent fans.

The more expensive air coolers show their worth when you overclock and overvolt. At stock speeds the intel stock cooler is fine.

23. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

When will you guys learn to read. Water is MORE trouble. You just said so. I haven't maintenanced my Thermalright U-120 in 5 years! Just blow out the fan and the fins...done. No need to rip it all apart.

Noctua is NOT silent. Stop spreading false info. You can hear every fan on the market. You can...or your deaf and even then it doesn't matter. Inside a case, none of these will be annoying at all.

#48 cmdrdredd, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 17, 2012