help overclocking my A64 3400+

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 12, 2006
well.. I moved it to 166, but.. after saving and rebooting.. my current memclock still shows 133, even though the max memclock shows 166.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
K no worries. Move the memory back to 100.

Go to CPU clock ratio and set it to 10
Go to CPU clock and set it to 240
Go to CPu overvoltage and set it to 5%

Make sure everything is at these settings before you save. If you can't do one of these, exit without saving and tell me what you're missing.

May 12, 2006
I can change them all except the cpu clock to 240, so I exited without saving.

under my cpu clock it says:

min 200
max 232

enter a DEC number

May 12, 2006
Ok. I've changed these settings. CPU-Z now shows my core speed ad 2320, it was 2200 before. How can I tell if this is stable though and not going to hurt anything?

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Hold on just a few secs. I wanna try to see if I can get the memory up a lil higher. Do these steps:

Change cpu clock ratio back to 11.
Chance CPU clock to 213
Keep CPU overvoltage at 5%
Change Dimm overvoltage control to +.2V

Now press ctrl+f1 and change max memclock to 133.

Report back to me.

May 12, 2006
bad news I think.

When I went to reboot and change to your new set of proposed changes, my computer would not post. It merely made 2 low toned buzzing noises. I tried to press the reset button, same thing happened. I turned off my computer for about 5 minutes, kicked it back on and it booted, so I went in and changed all the settings back to auto and what they originally were.

I'm thinking to be on the safe side I shouldn't try this again, having my comp not post and just beep at me was kinda scary, I can't afford to break it. What happened? Why would it not post like that?

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Ok, don't worry. Its ok. Unplug your computer(as in removing the power cord), then remove the cmos battery. The Cmos battery looks like this.

This

Wait 2 minutes, then put the battery back in and you'll be fine.

Once you do that, revert back to the original settings I told you about.

K no worries. Move the memory back to 100.

Go to CPU clock and set it to 240

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/download.html for memtest to test your memory.

http://www.overclock.net/downloads/138140-super-pi.html to test your cpu

I'm going to sleep. GL and update your results.

May 12, 2006
I've got all the settings back to default and it boots ok now.. do I still need to redo the CMOS battery? what does removing/replacing it do anyway?

I'm kindof weary of changing the settings back to the original ones you told me, cause it was on those when it would not post. I never tried the 2nd set of options

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Malken
I've got all the settings back to default and it boots ok now.. do I still need to redo the CMOS battery? what does removing/replacing it do anyway?

No don't worry abou tthe cmos thing. Just go back to the original settings.

Move the memory back to 100.

Go to CPU clock and set it to 232

May 12, 2006
Ok. tis a shame it didn't quite work out the way I wanted, but Thank you very much for all the help though, you're awesome.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005

I'm kindof weary of changing the settings back to the original ones you told me, cause it was on those when it would not post. I never tried the 2nd set of options

Um, I thought you said that it was working with those settings and cpu-z showed that the processor was at 2350mhz... Plz confirm.

Edit: You might need to lock the AGP/PCI frequencies. Change agp to 66 and pci to 33 I think. However, if you're feeling risk adverse, I totally understand. It might not be for you. The last time I overclocked something was 2 years ago :p I put everything back to stock because I didn't need the extra speeds.

May 12, 2006
yes, it was working. But.. when I rebooted to change to the next set of options you specified.. It would not post. I never got to try the second set.

it booted with the
mem 100
cpu clock ratio 10
cpu clock 232
cpu overvolt 5%

but when i rebooted to change to the next ones, it would not post. It was on the above stated settings when it did not post.

I currently have it back to all default, auto settings right now.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
yes, it was working. But.. when I rebooted to change to the next set of options you specified.. It would not post. I never got to try the second set.

it booted with the
mem 100
cpu clock ratio 10
cpu clock 232
cpu overvolt 5%

but when i rebooted to change to the next ones, it would not post. It was on the above stated settings when it did not post.

I currently have it back to all default, auto settings right now.

I guess if you're afraid it won't post, just leave everything at default. One thing I would do is to change mem to 133. That'll increase your performance. You can't really overclock if you are afraid it won't post.

Run http://hcidesign.com/memtest/download.html after you change it to 133. If you get an error, change it back to 100.

May 12, 2006
I've got to head out after this post, but I'm curious. Can the not posting hurt the comp? like fry something? or it just means I'll have to change settings back. the main reason I'm afraid of that is because I thought maybe it could damage something.

Thanks much for the help though, I'll try at least running the memory up to 133 tomorrow and test it, I may reconsider clocking too if I can't actually damage anything and just have to redo the battery or something to get it back to normal.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
I've got to head out after this post, but I'm curious. Can the not posting hurt the comp? like fry something? or it just means I'll have to change settings back. the main reason I'm afraid of that is because I thought maybe it could damage something.

Thanks much for the help though, I'll try at least running the memory up to 133 tomorrow and test it, I may reconsider clocking too if I can't actually damage anything and just have to redo the battery or something to get it back to normal.

Not posting won't damage anything.

SonicIce

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
ya the only ways you can actually hurt anything is by overheating (by alot like if you mounted the heatsink wrong) or too much voltage. don't go over 1.6v with that cpu.

i've messed with alot of settings and failed to post MANY times. it's just the computer safeguarding itself. will not hurt it. removing the battery will reset default bios settings. a quicker way is to short the CLR_CMOS (Clear CMOS) pins next to the battery.

btw you should update your bios to the latest version
http://www.gigabyte.lv/download/mb/bios/16516/

May 12, 2006
good to hear that I cant damage it that way. I'm not sure how to short the pins, but i'm fine with resetting the battery, so I'll stick to that if I need to.

what does upgrading the bios really do btw? give me more options or make it more stable er somethin?

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
good to hear that I cant damage it that way. I'm not sure how to short the pins, but i'm fine with resetting the battery, so I'll stick to that if I need to.

what does upgrading the bios really do btw? give me more options or make it more stable er somethin?

Don't worry about upgrading your bios. If you do that wrong, you can possibly neuter your system, which I don't think you'll want.

May 12, 2006
Originally posted by: Hacp

Don't worry about upgrading your bios. If you do that wrong, you can possibly neuter your system, which I don't think you'll want.

ah.. ya.. definatly dont want to be neuter'ed...

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Updating the BIOS can unlock newer features and increase stability. For example: your "CPU Clock" reading maxes out at 232, but it's possible that with a newer BIOS it will actually max out at a much higher number, thus allowing you to get a much faster overclock out of your CPU.

As an aside, I noticed that your CPU temp in BIOS was already at 52C. That's something to be concerned about as that is a reading under no stress and at stock speeds. I would recommend cleaning the heatsink and fan that are on the CPU before overclocking or over-volting. Just use a can of compressed air and spray out all the dust (be sure to do this outside as you don't want to breathe that dust in!).

I didn't have a socket 754 3400, but I did have the 939 one and man did that thing scream! Happy overclocking!

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Modular
Updating the BIOS can unlock newer features and increase stability. For example: your "CPU Clock" reading maxes out at 232, but it's possible that with a newer BIOS it will actually max out at a much higher number, thus allowing you to get a much faster overclock out of your CPU.

As an aside, I noticed that your CPU temp in BIOS was already at 52C. That's something to be concerned about as that is a reading under no stress and at stock speeds. I would recommend cleaning the heatsink and fan that are on the CPU before overclocking or over-volting. Just use a can of compressed air and spray out all the dust (be sure to do this outside as you don't want to breathe that dust in!).

I didn't have a socket 754 3400, but I did have the 939 one and man did that thing scream! Happy overclocking!

That isn't a high temp for 754. I had a 3000+ that idled around there. They are 130nm chips after all.