Question Help, Onboard Video Not Working

Mulsiphixx

Jun 10, 2014
Hardware Involved
  • I built three computers with identical hardware, identical cloned Windows drives, but one of them has a GTX 1660S (HDMI 2.0b port). The two using on-board video (Asus Prime X570-P, manual) connect via a HDMI 1.4b port.

• I have a Samsung 226BW monitor (DVI-D port utilizing a DVI-D to HDMI converter).
  • I have an Asus Pro Art monitor (HDMI port).

• I have two HDMI cables (one bundled with Pro Art, the other claiming Hi-Res 1080p 3D support).

Behavior Observed
  1. The 1660S worked with both HDMI cables and monitors. The on-board video PCs do not show video with either monitor, not even during POST, but sound confirms they boot into Windows successfully.

2. The Samsung has a source switch button to go between VGA and DVI-D. When on VGA it says I should check the cable for issues. When on DVI-D it flashes between an Analog and Digital message a couple of times, seemingly searching for a signal, and then the screen goes purely Black with no error about the cable at all.

3. The Pro Art immediately reports there is no HDMI signal detected when I plug the cable in and then the screen goes purely Black.

My Question
On-board, it seems an HDMI signal is not being detected. With two motherboards sharing the issue, I doubt the HDMI port is faulty. Seems the issue originates with the motherboard, but I'm not sure how to further diagnose this problem. Anyone have any ideas on what I might try next?

Additional Information
I checked the manual and on page 8, the only place it mentions anything about HDMI, it states:

Integrated Graphics in the 2nd and 1st Gen AMD Ryzen with Radeon Vega Graphics Processors

VGA output support: HDMI port

- Supports HDMI 1.4b with max. resolution 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz

Mulsiphixx

Jun 10, 2014

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Whoops. I meant that the "onboard video" is only possible with an APU installed in the system. That a CPU and a monitor hooked up to the HDMI port on the motherboard will not provide a video signal.
That is true.

The "GPU" part is on the CPU, so if you don't have an APU installed, the video ports on the motherboard will do nothing.