• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Help, Onboard Video Not Working

Mulsiphixx

Jun 10, 2014
Hardware Involved
  • I built three computers with identical hardware, identical cloned Windows drives, but one of them has a GTX 1660S (HDMI 2.0b port). The two using on-board video (Asus Prime X570-P, manual) connect via a HDMI 1.4b port.

• I have a Samsung 226BW monitor (DVI-D port utilizing a DVI-D to HDMI converter).
  • I have an Asus Pro Art monitor (HDMI port).

• I have two HDMI cables (one bundled with Pro Art, the other claiming Hi-Res 1080p 3D support).

Behavior Observed
  1. The 1660S worked with both HDMI cables and monitors. The on-board video PCs do not show video with either monitor, not even during POST, but sound confirms they boot into Windows successfully.

2. The Samsung has a source switch button to go between VGA and DVI-D. When on VGA it says I should check the cable for issues. When on DVI-D it flashes between an Analog and Digital message a couple of times, seemingly searching for a signal, and then the screen goes purely Black with no error about the cable at all.

3. The Pro Art immediately reports there is no HDMI signal detected when I plug the cable in and then the screen goes purely Black.

My Question
On-board, it seems an HDMI signal is not being detected. With two motherboards sharing the issue, I doubt the HDMI port is faulty. Seems the issue originates with the motherboard, but I'm not sure how to further diagnose this problem. Anyone have any ideas on what I might try next?

Additional Information
I checked the manual and on page 8, the only place it mentions anything about HDMI, it states:

Integrated Graphics in the 2nd and 1st Gen AMD Ryzen with Radeon Vega Graphics Processors

VGA output support: HDMI port

- Supports HDMI 1.4b with max. resolution 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz

UsandThem

Elite Member
Super Moderator
May 4, 2000
Whoops. I meant that the "onboard video" is only possible with an APU installed in the system. That a CPU and a monitor hooked up to the HDMI port on the motherboard will not provide a video signal.
That is true.

The "GPU" part is on the CPU, so if you don't have an APU installed, the video ports on the motherboard will do nothing.

ASK THE COMMUNITY