Help me make a decision: Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite or Fallout: New Vegas?

ChrisAttebery

Nov 10, 2003
I haven't played any games in the last couple years, but I bought a GTX760 recently and I want to play something new. The last game I bought was Arkham City. I have the bug again but I can't decide what to play. I loved HL and HL2, Portal, Portal2, Jedi Knight, Call of Duty 1/2/UO. I liked the world exploring and strong story lines. I'm not into gore or horror. I'll probably only buy one game this year. So if you had to pick ONE game from the last 2-3 years what would it be? Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite or Fallout: New Vegas? Others?

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited:

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Skyrim would be my choice. Bioshock is a fantastic game but very short. Fallout:Vegas is also excellent and would be top of my list also. I guess I would look at type you enjoy, scifi or fantasy. Skyrim is still a game I fire up and loose hours in just exploring parts of the map i don't see an ICON on. But it would be between the two for me (sky or fallout) as they both will last much longer then Bio if you like to explore.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
From the games you listed it would seem that Bioshock would be similar to what you like. If you are wanting to explore and want a good story I would go with New Vegas over Skyrim. Skyrim is a good game because of the sheer amount of stuff to explore but the story is incredibly lacking.

If you are looking for something with guns, story, and a time sink it is definitely New Vegas.

Aug 11, 2008
Skyrim would be my choice, but Bioshock and New Vegas are more like the games you listed. I personally loved skyrim, probably one of my top five favorite games that i have ever played. You do have to like that open world type rpg though, as like someone said, the story is just so/so, but i loved just exploring the world.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Skyrim would be my choice, but Bioshock and New Vegas are more like the games you listed. I personally loved skyrim, probably one of my top five favorite games that i have ever played. You do have to like that open world type rpg though, as like someone said, the story is just so/so, but i loved just exploring the world.

+1 :thumbsup:

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Only one of those I liked was BI, which was tremendous. I just don't enjoy Bethesda's "gameplay" - if you could even call it that.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004

+2 :thumbsup:

I have over 300hrs into Skyrim and I still play it. Lots of fun mods you can add once you've gone through the game. I started Fallout 3 and just couldn't get into it. Same with Bioshock.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
BI would be more towards what you need. It actually has a end game, and the gameplay/story is great.

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
Love me some skyrim. Bioshock infinite was ok, didn't finish it despite starting it a couple times.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
New Vegas and BI have (to me) much better stories than Skyrim. Skyrim is like Oblivion where the main quest isn't that interesting and you mostly wander around in the sandbox.

BI is great but short, New Vegas is great and much longer especially with the DLC. To me New Vegas has more replay value than BI since you can change your main character more, play with different companions, and choose which factions to align with. NV also has many mods including companion mods like Willow for replays.

(Skyrim has all that too, just in a sandbox world.)

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
If I had to pick one it would be Skyrim, because it will give you the most hours of original content and enjoyment.

Mar 11, 2004
Really I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, but I don't really understand the only buy one. Wait for a Steam/HumbleBundle/GMG/etc sales and buy all of them cheap. You could get Bioshock 1, 2, and Infinite for like $10 on sales. Fallout New Vegas (with all the DLC) I think for like $7.50, and not sure what Skyrim got down to (but I think there's been Elder Scrolls bundles where you could get Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim for a good price).

I get not having time to sink hundreds of hours into games, but to me variety is necessary. There's been games I expected to love and just couldn't get into, and then ones I didn't expect to enjoy that I ended up having a lot of fun with. Like Bioshock, there's a lot I really like about it, but I just don't really find the gameplay appealing.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Pillars of Eternity, then Mass Effect series, then Dragon Age series last. I sunk 50hrs or so into Fallout 3 and it was OK, never got into Vegas. Both are rather unstable too.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
From the types of games you have listed, I would give the STALKER (complete) series a try.

New games: Skyrim if you want an open world fantasy RPG. Caveat: Modding this game almost a must.

Mass Effect series...RPG/FSP type game Science Fiction (look for sales on Origin)

Wolfenstein The New Order (I also LOVE RTCW...dated graphics but a fun FPS)

If you are mainly into the graphics. than a modded Skyrim is great.

The Wife

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
One game from the last 2-3 years from those 3?
Well, Bioshock Infinite, since it's the only game from the last 2-3 years of those 3, since the others are 4-5 years old.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Not sure how many know this but for those that love Skyrim, the people who made Nehrim (for Oblvion) are releasing a completely new Skyrim total mod sometime this year. I can't wait because Nehrim was far better than Oblivion.

Of all those games, I liked Bioshock Infinite the best, but mostly because of the story, as a FPS it was only so so. I loved the visuals and story though.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Not sure how many know this but for those that love Skyrim, the people who made Nehrim (for Oblvion) are releasing a completely new Skyrim total mod sometime this year. I can't wait because Nehrim was far better than Oblivion.

Of all those games, I liked Bioshock Infinite the best, but mostly because of the story, as a FPS it was only so so. I loved the visuals and story though.

Nice, I have it just sitting on steam not being played after I put about 90 hours into the console version.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
I liked the world exploring and strong story lines. So if you had to pick ONE game from the last 2-3 years what would it be?
My top three 2-3 year old FPS's with decent story lines have been Bioshock Infinite, Dishonored & Deus Ex: Human Revolution (OK the last one is 3.5 years but I'm sure you won't argue over a few months). :D Open world games like Skyrim are good in their own right if you're in an "exploration mode" mindset, but the bulk of gameplay typically lies in the 200hrs or so of side-quests rather than a single strong storyline (which can lose its pacing if you get too wrapped up in side-missions). It does look very good with 2-4K texture, lighting & weather mods though. If you like Portal style First-Person-Physics games, The Talos Principle & Quantum Conundrum might be worth a look.

I really don't think you can narrow it down to just one single game. Why not pick up a few of those suggested in one of the regular sales and save some for a rainy day?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The beauty of Skyrim to me is not the main story but all the sidequests that have their own little piece of the story of the world you are exploring. From the greed of the mead makers and their shady deals to gain a monopoly to the soul of a man stuck inside a talking dog because he pissed off a daedra. Nearly everyone you meet has a story to tell and a piece of the world to explore. There is also a novel's worth of reading you can do to gain more understanding of the lore within the game. Numerous volumes of books can be found as you play.

I love the game, put in nearly 1000 hours easily between the main game and the expansions.

Last edited:

Rhonda the Sly

Nov 22, 2007
Although it is by no means required playing, I probably wouldn't suggest playing Infinite without previously playing Bioshock 1 and 2.

Infinite's story doesn't hinge on knowledge from the previous games but it does introduce a pair of characters and the world.

That said, I don't feel very compelled by the stories of Bethesda's games. I'm actually wrapping up Fallout: New Vegas now (or, at least, I think I will be soon) but the on-rails campaign of Infinite is better suited towards telling a story than open worlds. The only downsides are that Infinite will be shorter than the other games and have less replay value.

Edit:
Yeah, Mass Effect by a mile but only if you can play the entire series. The Bioshock series takes 2nd place to that easily.

Last edited:

Scooby Doo

Golden Member
Sep 1, 2006
From the greed of the mead makers and their shady deals to gain a monopoly to the soul of a man stuck inside a talking dog because he pissed off a daedra.

Are you referring to Barbas? He's just Vile's pet, not a human.

Oh and beside the next Nehrim, don't forget Skywind.

schmuckley

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2011
Skyrim or New Vegas with tons of mods.
I've had New Vegas for years..
just dled some good mods and ..It's like 5x more stuff to do.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Skyrim.

Quite simply, it has the most potential.

Bioshock is fun, and pretty, and has a great story, but you're looking at around 20 hours, tops (I finished in I think 14).

New Vegas has more bang for the buck, and it's really a toss-up between which setting you enjoy more: The destroyed dystopian future/sci-fi approach of FO, or the more classic, medieval, Tolkien-esque world of The Elder Scrolls.

With mods, and exploration, and experimentation, Skyrim can be practically endless. And endlessly enjoyable.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I'd go for Bioshock. Skyrim to me just doesn't have enough gameplay value .. too easy and too broken.
(it's true that bioshock is by far the shortest of the two)

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
I just don't enjoy Bethesda's "gameplay" - if you could even call it that.

35s7cv.jpg