Help a noob out on FO: NV!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
Ok, finally fired this game up. I finish all the setup of my char and step outside into the town. I start playing around w/ my gun/controls and one bullet hits the robot police guy Victor. Now, he will not stop killing me.

I've searched online and was told that I have to put away my weapon. Well, I tried that and the damn thing still attacks me. Furthermore, the whole town is attacking me now too.

What did I do to make all of them hate me like this?

Start a new game. You're only a few minutes into it.

Start a game and be less stupid. :p

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
Ditch FO:NV and go to FO3 if you haven't. I enjoyed FO3 way way more. I'd actually consider replaying FO3, I ditched FO:NV 15hrs in or so.

Not only is the color pallet in FallOut 3 absolutely disgusting, but the storyline itself is pretty stupid. The gameplay is fun, but you aren't missing anything by skipping the narration.

FallOut New Vegas was one of the best games I've ever played for every reason you can think of except using the pipboy to manage inventory and stuff is cumbersome compared to most games and their paperdoll windows.

Scooby Doo

Golden Member
Sep 1, 2006
Another option to the console....

"~" click on robot,
"stopcombat"
"setav aggression 10"
"~"

Also NV had some pretty retarded parts to the story... Roman soldiers armed with swords? ROFLOL WTF.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

"~" click on robot,
"stopcombat"
"setav aggression 10"
"~"

Also NV had some pretty retarded parts to the story... Roman soldiers armed with swords? ROFLOL WTF.

Umm, thats not new vegas. Thats the Fallout mythos.

And if you ever paid attention to anything in the game you'd know there was a very specific reason why they exist.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Not only is the color pallet in FallOut 3 absolutely disgusting, but the storyline itself is pretty stupid. The gameplay is fun, but you aren't missing anything by skipping the narration.

FallOut New Vegas was one of the best games I've ever played for every reason you can think of except using the pipboy to manage inventory and stuff is cumbersome compared to most games and their paperdoll windows.

A bunch of guys fighting to take control of an area, how original!

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

"~" click on robot,
"stopcombat"
"setav aggression 10"
"~"

I agree completely about the Legion, silly bunch of wankers who should be shot on sight just for being silly wankers even if they weren't slavers. Mole rats give me much the same reaction. Silly lore is still silly. Still a freakin' great game - when I can get it to stop crashing. Too many mods I suppose, but I'm going on six hundred hours of play.

I think mods are required with Fallout 3 to make it not obnoxiously ugly, whereas mods in Fallout New Vegas just make it prettier. And the voice acting (with the notable exception of Three Dog) is generally better in FONV. Conversely, FO3 had better factions and more low level freedom as well as a more post-apocalyptic feel. Still, the amazing amount of content, the amazing amount of free mod content, the amazing amount of console control when needed, and the amazing amount of flexibility in preferred play (straight FPS to essentially third person turn-based combat) should make them both must-plays for every adult PC gamer beyond Solitaire and The Sims.

As long as he doesn't go around shooting innocent but well-armed robots anyway.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
i believe if you leave the town for a few days and come back it will be back to normal

great opportunity for some real role playing

emergent gameplay ftw

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Must be trollin' because Fallout 3 is way better looking than Fallout New Vegas.

Since this is subjective I don't really argue people, but I agree with you. FO:NV looked like a cartoon cowboy flick. FO3 had the dark atmosphere down right which I would expect after a nuclear blast. Again, subjective.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006

I enjoyed the storyline in NV.

The color palette is very easy to adjust with an enb.

I use the latest .194 enb, and The ENB of the Apocalypse.

I also recommend project nevada

Fallout New Vegas Redesigned 2 gets rid of the horrible vanilla faces on npc's.

If you are going to mod NV, or fallout or any bethesda game there are some utilities you need to get to make the process easier and more organized.

NMM
makes installing and uninstalling, updating mods much easier. The way it works is it will dump the file structure of the archive file for the mod into your data folder, some mod authors do not plan accordingly. You can make any mod compatible and add it through NMM by making a new archive with the files in the proper structure.

BOSS
sorts mods so that you hopefully do not have to manually worry about load order. Sometimes it takes time for a mod to be added to the master list so you will still want to read the instructions for load order and such.
FNVEDIT
Very powerful and handy tool.
A tutorial on how to use FNVedit
Note that also if you are having a crash at startup (a common symptom of an esp that lacks a required master and other such problems) it can be annoying to hunt down the specific mod causing this, especially if you install many mods at once. FNVedit loads all the files when you start it and you will see which ones caused the crash. It can also create a merged patch that will smooth over most conflicts in multiple mods that attempt to alter the same things.

The author of that video tutorial is a mod author responsible for many very nice mods in fallout and skyrim, I would check out his work.

Last edited:

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
Since this is subjective I don't really argue people, but I agree with you. FO:NV looked like a cartoon cowboy flick. FO3 had the dark atmosphere down right which I would expect after a nuclear blast. Again, subjective.

Daddy? Where's my daddy?! Are you my daddy????

yeah, real dark and grim, there

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Right. Tunnel rats rule. Definitely dark atmosphere.

Sigh. The vault "you" grew up in was a social engineering experiment, and was preserving a neo-1950s lifestyle.

You apparently missed the part where one of the security staff beat your dad's assistant to death. And that the Overseer was using the Tunnel Snakes as a goon squad to terrorize some citizens. And that he was planning to kill them if they stopped being useful.

Edit, mods:
I'd play your first game with as few as possible, maybe even just bug fixes mod, Mission Mojave - Ultimate Edition (requires the complete FONV version with all 4 story DLC):
http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/45104/?

Last edited:

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Caesar's Legion was the stupidest aspect of New Vegas. Apart from the absurdity of how strong guys walking around in ancient Roman-style armor were (their legs are completely exposed! Why the heck don't explosives do more damage?), the storyline was crap and attempting to destroy of the lot of them early on apparently screws with the playability of the main quest.

I definitely preferred Fallout 3. New Vegas wasn't bad to wander around, but I didn't like the quests so much. At least in 3 it felt like your character was accomplishing something. And I don't care if it is overstated, but going to battle with Liberty Prime in front of you for the first time was the best damn part of either game.

Also, Victor is extremely annoying.

Last edited:

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
I think Fallout 3 was a more serious game.

NV tries to be a bit more irreverent and original like fallout 1 and 2.