Help a noob out on FO: NV!

Oct 20, 2005
Ok, finally fired this game up. I finish all the setup of my char and step outside into the town. I start playing around w/ my gun/controls and one bullet hits the robot police guy Victor. Now, he will not stop killing me.

I've searched online and was told that I have to put away my weapon. Well, I tried that and the damn thing still attacks me. Furthermore, the whole town is attacking me now too.

What did I do to make all of them hate me like this?

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
Unlike many games your actions have real consequences here and did I say that it was buggy? :) have you tried loading an earlier save?

Oct 20, 2005
Unlike many games your actions have real consequences here and did I say that it was buggy? :) have you tried loading an earlier save?

I'm at the very beginning of the game really, so no real saves to go back to.

I guess I will just start all over and be more careful lol

el-Capitan

Apr 24, 2012
Ok, finally fired this game up. I finish all the setup of my char and step outside into the town. I start playing around w/ my gun/controls and one bullet hits the robot police guy Victor. Now, he will not stop killing me.

I've searched online and was told that I have to put away my weapon. Well, I tried that and the damn thing still attacks me. Furthermore, the whole town is attacking me now too.

What did I do to make all of them hate me like this?

It's not that big of a deal. In my first play (and 80hrs later still my only), I killed everyone in the first town. No prob, I continued to play a good karma, NCR guy anyway.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Ditch FO:NV and go to FO3 if you haven't. I enjoyed FO3 way way more. I'd actually consider replaying FO3, I ditched FO:NV 15hrs in or so.

el-Capitan

Apr 24, 2012
Ditch FO:NV and go to FO3 if you haven't. I enjoyed FO3 way way more. I'd actually consider replaying FO3, I ditched FO:NV 15hrs in or so.

:eek:

You will find that most will disagree with this. Including me. There is just sooo much more to do in NV. I enjoyed it a lot more.

Oct 20, 2005
It's not that big of a deal. In my first play (and 80hrs later still my only), I killed everyone in the first town. No prob, I continued to play a good karma, NCR guy anyway.

I guess I wouldn't mind that except the Victor guy blows me up in like 5 seconds. He uses his grenade launcher and that instakills me.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
If you're at the very start, just start over. You can holster your weapon and some people will stop attacking, but that doesn't always work.

As far as NV vs FO3 goes; I liked the story and gameplay of NV much more than FO3, but the world of FO3 felt a lot less like a theme park.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I know for a fact theres an auto-save right when you step out of Docs house.

Also, this is not BattleField 12 or BrownOps 6.
You cant just shoot everything you see. At least not right away.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
They're both great games. I certainly would not ditch FO:NV for FO3. I'd play them both.

OP, you can't just run around shooting stuff in this game and expect it to not get mad at you :).

Oct 20, 2005
They're both great games. I certainly would not ditch FO:NV for FO3. I'd play them both.

OP, you can't just run around shooting stuff in this game and expect it to not get mad at you :).

LOL I know! I know you can piss off people and get bad/good rep/karma.

However, it was one bullet when I first stepped outside to just get a feel for the controls. Yes I purposely shot the robot but I didn't think it would hit him. Regardless, there should be some way to make him not hostile. I guess there is, but it's just not working for me, maybe glitched.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
If you're at the very start, just start over. You can holster your weapon and some people will stop attacking, but that doesn't always work.

As far as NV vs FO3 goes; I liked the story and gameplay of NV much more than FO3, but the world of FO3 felt a lot less like a theme park.

You are considering that Vegas basically is a theme park, right?

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

However, it was one bullet when I first stepped outside to just get a feel for the controls. Yes I purposely shot the robot but I didn't think it would hit him. Regardless, there should be some way to make him not hostile. I guess there is, but it's just not working for me, maybe glitched.

Well, think about it. You shot someone (or something in this case). Why would there be a way to say "Oh, sorry guy, while I did mean to shoot you, I was just kidding around!" Your best best at the point would be to start over or run away as fast as you can. He will still hate you forever if you run, but he will at least stop attacking you at that point.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

I can tell you've never used a real gun.

Rule number 3 of firearm safety "be sure of your target and whats beyond it".

Also, you can shoot crows in the game, no karma, no faction, and they are excellent target practice especially if you dont have a mod installed for a gun range.

Also, go to the Nexus and get a mod for targets or ranges. Good way to burn off ammo you dont wanna sell.

Oct 20, 2005
Well, think about it. You shot someone (or something in this case). Why would there be a way to say "Oh, sorry guy, while I did mean to shoot you, I was just kidding around!" Your best best at the point would be to start over or run away as fast as you can. He will still hate you forever if you run, but he will at least stop attacking you at that point.

I tried running away. He still follows me everywhere and sooner or later, he'll fire his grenade launcher and blow me up in one shot.

But this is a game. Users will from time to time misfire and hit someone and aggro them, I get that. There has to be something to make them not aggro anymore though.

The worst part is that I'm so weak as a character. I get killed in one shot by his launcher, or a few sprays of his machine gun.

My question is, how do I un-aggro Victor?

Oct 20, 2005
Can someone tell me if the game is supposed to make Victor not aggro you if you holster/put away your weapons?

If so, then I think my game might be glitched since doing that doesn't change anything.

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008
I tried running away. He still follows me everywhere and sooner or later, he'll fire his grenade launcher and blow me up in one shot.

But this is a game. Users will from time to time misfire and hit someone and aggro them, I get that. There has to be something to make them not aggro anymore though.

The worst part is that I'm so weak as a character. I get killed in one shot by his launcher, or a few sprays of his machine gun.

My question is, how do I un-aggro Victor?

Start a new game.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
If you kill victor he just comes back in a new body and smiles at you.

But a level 1 character would have a hard time defeating him. I recommend console commands or just start over from the save inside Docs house.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Can someone tell me if the game is supposed to make Victor not aggro you if you holster/put away your weapons?

If so, then I think my game might be glitched since doing that doesn't change anything.

You might not be able to deaggro him. There is an auto save any time you enter a area through a door though, so you should be able to just reload that after you leave the doc's house, unless you ran into a new door and it saved over that. I am not sure if there is a few auto saves or just a single one.