Hells yea! Go Cadillac!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The Excursion/Suburban thing has nothing to do with the topic.

How do you know that the Caddy's engine isn't very impressive? There are very few details out about it. Just having it be a V-16 is very impressive since no modern car has had a 16 cylinder engine. Are you sure buyers would rather buy the Maybach? You'll bet money on this even though you have no idea what this Cadillac will look like, cost, drive like, etc? That's pretty silly. Buyers in the ultra-expensive car segment couldn't give two poops about whether a car is a Mercedes or a Cadillac. This Cadillac could turn out being faster, better looking, and have a nicer interior than the Maybach. I'm not saying that it will, but it could. Do you really think that people in this segment will pass up an incredible Cadillac to go wityh the lesser Mercedes just because of name? If you do then you're pretty naive. Remember the Jag XJ220? It was an ultra-expensive car with an excellent name too. They screwed up ONE minor thing on it and the car flopped big time. Name doesn't mean much with cars that cost this much - it's all about the product.

The Excursion/Suburban comparision proves that "excess" does not always buy you "success"

People with money love brand names. Mercedes, BMW, Bently, Rolls Royce, Ferrari, Lamborghini. Their names = $$$$. Cadillac has lost their ability to be able to charge an assload of money ($100,000+) for cars.

It's also the reason that while Cadillac has a huge land yacht in the realm of 7-Series' and S-Class', it is NEVER given the respect that those two cars get.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Originally posted by: NFS4

The Excursion/Suburban comparision proves that "excess" does not always buy you "success"

People with money love brand names. Mercedes, BMW, Bently, Rolls Royce, Ferrari, Lamborghini. Their names = $$$$. Cadillac has lost their ability to be able to charge an assload of money ($100,000+) for cars.

It's also the reason that while Cadillac has a huge land yacht in the realm of 7-Series' and S-Class', it is NEVER given the respect that those two cars get.

The Excursion/Suburban has nothing to do with the topic. They're made for the masses and not for an elite group of super-rich people. When you're dealing with the super-rich excess DOES usually mean success.

People with money love great vehicles - brand names be damned. Just look at the Jaguar XJ220 example from my last post. If all that people wanted was an expensive car with a great brand name then the XJ220 would have sold like hotcakes.

How has Cadillac lost the ability to charge $100k+ for a car? That's a ridiculous statement. I guess because they haven't done it they must not be able to, right?
rolleye.gif
Do you really doubt that the largest automobile company in the world can build a worthy $100k+ car? Come on...

Cadillac gets plenty of respect, but it's from a different crowd. The 7-Series and S-Class are bought by very different people than a Cadillac. They also cost significantly more money.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I wonder how many gallons per mile it'll gobble. Maybe we Californians will be smart enough to ban this POS. :|

Nemesis77

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: DougK62
Buyers in the ultra-expensive car segment couldn't give two poops about whether a car is a Mercedes or a Cadillac. This Cadillac could turn out being faster, better looking, and have a nicer interior than the Maybach. I'm not saying that it will, but it could. Do you really think that people in this segment will pass up an incredible Cadillac to go wityh the lesser Mercedes just because of name?

It doesn't cuite work that way. There are cars that are better, nicer and faster than Rolls-Royce, but still RR is the car. This new caddy might be faster and better looking than Maybach, but it would not matter. Are you certain that Cadillac has what it takes to build cars that has that special something that Maybach, Bentley and Rolls-Royce has? I doubt it. They can barely compete with Merc, Audi and BMW (well can they compete with them?), how could they compete in the ultra hi-end segment?

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
They better give it a name that is easy to rhyme, so all the rappers who buy this type of car will talk about it in their songs. :p

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It doesn't cuite work that way. There are cars that are better, nicer and faster than Rolls-Royce, but still RR is the car. This new caddy might be faster and better looking than Maybach, but it would not matter. Are you certain that Cadillac has what it takes to build cars that has that special something that Maybach, Bentley and Rolls-Royce has? I doubt it. They can barely compete with Merc, Audi and BMW (well can they compete with them?), how could they compete in the ultra hi-end segment?

I'll drink to that. You don't just go from a car that can't even compete with a 7-Series/S-Class/A8/XJ to a super cruiser that competes with the likes of RR and Maybach in one step. It just doesn't work that way, no matter how big GM is.

People with money love great vehicles - brand names be damned. Just look at the Jaguar XJ220 example from my last post. If all that people wanted was an expensive car with a great brand name then the XJ220 would have sold like hotcakes.

Huh? The XJ220 is ONE supercar that failed. So what! You got get up an earlier in the morning to bring something like that to the table.

Cadillac gets plenty of respect, but it's from a different crowd. The 7-Series and S-Class are bought by very different people than a Cadillac. They also cost significantly more money.

Only b/c they CAN charge more money and people are willing to pay that much for it. People aren't willing to pay 60 - 100k for a Cadillac (price range of S-Class and 7-Series). It's also the same reason why VW is going to have a tough sell with the Phaeton. The VW name just doesn't exert luxury like Audi/BMW/Mercedes.

Priit

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2000
Dunno, I somehow like the idea of a car with 13L V-16 engine. It's torque and smoothness should be rather impressive. Who cares about HP efficenty, 700HP is more than enough for luxury car ;)

MagicOnline

Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Priit
Dunno, I somehow like the idea of a car with 13L V-16 engine. It's torque and smoothness should be rather impressive. Who cares about HP efficenty, 700HP is more than enough for luxury car ;)

I agree with Killbat!

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Yucky
The 575M's engine makes 89HP/L.
LOL, K jr time to put you and this lame arguement to rest... the shifter Kart I'm looing at makes 280!!! K Two Hundred and Eighty Hoss per liter... why don't we just travel around in .7 liter two strokes
rolleye.gif

Ultima

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: LAUST
Originally posted by: Yucky
The 575M's engine makes 89HP/L.
LOL, K jr time to put you and this lame arguement to rest... the shifter Kart I'm looing at makes 280!!! K Two Hundred and Eighty Hoss per liter... why don't we just travel around in .7 liter two strokes
rolleye.gif

I already put his argument to rest up above :)

Shantanu

Banned
Feb 6, 2001
Nobody out there gives a flying fvck about horsepower/Liter, especially not people with millions of dollars to burn.

As one auto analyst put it a week ago, ""To grab the public?s attention, insiders say Cadillac in January will unveil a breathtaking new V-16 concept limousine at the 2003 Detroit show that will make Jurgen Schempp?s Maybach look like an old DeSoto." :D ;) :)

What the hell is a Maybach anyways? Why did Mercedes go dredge up this 100 year old brand? Is Mercedes brand reputation too poor to handle a super sedan? Does anybody even care? These are the things people have been saying about the Maybach.

Personally, I agree with the auto rags. Cadillac's new Fleetwood is a step in the right direction. That, and it'll totally rape everything else that's out there, including the Maybach, RR, and Bentley. I've seen the new Maybach, and it's nothing special. The interior is downright cheap and plasticky in some places.

General Motors looked into having the Cien produced in England, because that's where most of the small, contract auto makers are based. I would expect the Fleetwood to be similarly outsourced. I think it was wise of GM not to build the Cien; when they're (likely) forced to buy Fiat in 2004, they will have more unprofitable supercars than they know what to do with (Ferrari, Lambhourghini). Also, GM is involved in the production of the Cunningham C7, via product czar Bob Lutz. Super sedans are the way to go.

It's too bad Ford squandered $30 billion in the 1990's buying out then-overpriced Jaguar, Volvo, and Land Rover, and then moving them out to California (riced out, lowriders?), while at the same time letting Mercury and Lincoln atrophy. For a fraction of that cost, they could have revived their own brands as GM has successfully done and continues to do with Cadillac.

Shantanu

Banned
Feb 6, 2001
People aren't willing to pay 60 - 100k for a Cadillac (price range of S-Class and 7-Series).

You're joking right?

$100,000 and up armored Cadillac's are the vehicle of choice for many of the world's industrlialists and diplomats, not to mention practically everyone whose someone here in the U.S.

Link

Here's another

One more

Here in the U.S., $95,000 super Escalades are incredibly popular, as any episode of MTV's "Cribs" will nicely demonstrate :)

True, Cadillac doesn't have anything in its present lineup that costs over $60,000 (stock), but you can't say that nobody will pay more than that for a Cadillac, because there are lots of people paying $100,000 and up for aftermarket-modified Cadillacs.

The Cadillac brandname is very strong, strong enough that GM is wagering people will spend $200,000 to have a top-of-the-line Cadillac car. Apparantly, the same can't be said of Volkswagen and BMW, who purchased Bentley and RR, respectively, or Mercedes, which dredged up Maybach.

Cheers.

PowerMac4Ever

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
The Cadillac brandname is very strong, strong enough that GM is wagering people will spend $200,000 to have a top-of-the-line Cadillac car. Apparantly, the same can't be said of Volkswagen and BMW, who purchased Bentley and RR, respectively, or Mercedes, which dredged up Maybach.
Didn't GM also make that Aztec thing? GM isn't very good at gambling.

Oh, and the Mercedes S500 Guard is sweet.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Originally posted by: PowerMac4Ever

Didn't GM also make that Aztec thing? GM isn't very good at gambling.
Didn't GM also build the biggest small block V8 to ever hit earth?
Don't they also sell the most vehicle's in the world ever since the 1920's?
The 1st police car ever?
The Corvette that people can actually afford and not just kiddie paper talk?

Don't worry Mac Mania they are still laughing while driving to the bank with big accounts. ;)