Hells yea! Go Cadillac!

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Don't be racing grandpa at the next light, might have a sixteen banger under the hood.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
That thing had better have more than 700HP at more than 13.5L. Let's see, 51HP/L anybody?

:|

Why can't domestics be more efficient?

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Yucky
That thing had better have more than 700HP at more than 13.5L. Let's see, 51HP/L anybody?

DOT

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001

Ugh. Why are some people so obsessed with cars needing to have 100hp/liter or something silly like that? People whine about how cars like the Camaro have poor hp/liter. It's true compared to some tight-wound 4-bangers, but does it really matter? A new 5.7L Camaro can get 30mpg, has the power to beat up most cars on the road, and is extremely reliable. So why does it matter what size the engine is? It's ridiculous - just goes to show how some car companies have had much success convincing people that high hp/liter is where it's at...

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999

effeciency isn't the focal point of a luxury car, look how much HP the V12 Benzes and BMW's get... Look at the displacement of a V8 Bently, they're geared for smoothness and drivability, not for effeciency and power.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Lemme see, Mercedes has a 5.5 liter V12 twin-turbo that makes 550HP at 5200 RPM and 663 lb-ft torque at a low, low, low 2300 RPM. This engine is in their luxu-cruiser 2003 Maybach 57 and 62 series. It also does 0-60 in 5.2 seconds.

13.5 liter V16?? Give me a f*&king break!:|:| That is so ridiculous that it ain't even funny.

Killbat

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
Originally posted by: NFS4
Lemme see, Mercedes has a 5.5 liter V12 twin-turbo that makes 550HP at 5200 RPM and 663 lb-ft torque at a low, low, low 2300 RPM. This engine is in their luxu-cruiser 2003 Maybach 57 and 62 series. It also does 0-60 in 5.2 seconds.

13.5 liter V16?? Give me a f*&king break!:|:| That is so ridiculous that it ain't even funny.

For some reason, reading your post made me think of this.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Killbat

For some reason, reading your post made me think of this.

LOL. That's about right :D That's like comparing the Voodoo 5 6000 to the GeForce2 Ultra back in the day. It's like bringing a bringing a sledgehammer to a gun fight. You might have a big, powerful weapon that can do some serious damage, but a smartly aimed bullet could easily and quickly make another hole in your skull to go with the two on either side of your nose.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001

Soooo...why is it ridiculous? It seems pretty brilliant to me. Car buyers in this category only care about one thing - they want the craziest, most expensive, rarest, neatest car around. How does a 13.5L V-16 NOT fit the bill perfectly?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

you realize that as displacement increases HP/displacement has to decrease of the engine will grenade.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Soooo...why is it ridiculous? It seems pretty brilliant to me. Car buyers in this category only care about one thing - they want the craziest, most expensive, rarest, neatest car around. How does a 13.5L V-16 NOT fit the bill perfectly?

Remember the Ford Excursion?? The big bad motha that is 6 inches longer than the Suburban, has more space inside, and has a honking V-10 compared to the Suburban's V8?? Well, Ford is axing it b/c the Suburban outsells it 4.4 : 1 and sales are down over 16% this year.

http://detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0207/31/a01-550208.htm

But when you compare the Caddy's engine to what's out there now, it's not really all that impressive. And Cadillac has loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong since lost their "World Class" image. None of their vehicles are "world class." Buyers would be more than willing to spend their money on a Maybach before they plunk down for a V-16 Cadillac..and I'll bet you money on that one.

Maybach

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
niche market, not much to argue on since not one of us in this forum can prolly even afford one now huh ;) :p

edit nfs fixed me

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: LAUST
nitch market, not much to argue on since not one of us in this forum can prolly even afford one now huh ;) :p

I thought it was "niche" :D

**NFS4 imagines the look on LAUST's face if he woke up to find a 13.5 liter V16 under his truck's hood (assuming it would fit)** :p

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
yeah it's niche :eek:

I only have 6 inches between the crank pulley and the radiator... gonna have to stick with the 8.1 I guess :( ;)

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001

Remember the Ford Excursion?? The big bad motha that is 6 inches longer than the Suburban, has more space inside, and has a honking V-10 compared to the Suburban's V8?? Well, Ford is axing it b/c the Suburban outsells it 4.4 : 1 and sales are down over 16% this year.

http://detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0207/31/a01-550208.htm

But when you compare the Caddy's engine to what's out there now, it's not really all that impressive. And Cadillac has loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong since lost their "World Class" image. None of their vehicles are "world class." Buyers would be more than willing to spend their money on a Maybach before they plunk down for a V-16 Cadillac..and I'll bet you money on that one.

Maybach

The Excursion/Suburban thing has nothing to do with the topic.

How do you know that the Caddy's engine isn't very impressive? There are very few details out about it. Just having it be a V-16 is very impressive since no modern car has had a 16 cylinder engine. Are you sure buyers would rather buy the Maybach? You'll bet money on this even though you have no idea what this Cadillac will look like, cost, drive like, etc? That's pretty silly. Buyers in the ultra-expensive car segment couldn't give two poops about whether a car is a Mercedes or a Cadillac. This Cadillac could turn out being faster, better looking, and have a nicer interior than the Maybach. I'm not saying that it will, but it could. Do you really think that people in this segment will pass up an incredible Cadillac to go wityh the lesser Mercedes just because of name? If you do then you're pretty naive. Remember the Jag XJ220? It was an ultra-expensive car with an excellent name too. They screwed up ONE minor thing on it and the car flopped big time. Name doesn't mean much with cars that cost this much - it's all about the product.

Ultima

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 1999

How is HP/liter a good measure of an engine's efficiency? That's a pretty dumb way of looking at it. Why not use two-stroke engines, they're all more efficient when it comes to HP/liter
rolleye.gif

If you want to look at efficiency look at the MPG between cars of similar weight and power. THAT is the measure of efficiency, NOT hp/liter. Bigger engines last longer and produce more torque, so if two engines make 300hp but one is 2L bigger, has 200pt more torque, and only 2mpg worse gas mileage what do you think is the better engine? Oh, I forgot, it's the one that's smaller because of more HP/L
rolleye.gif

Oh, don't forget that as power and torque goes up that gas mileage will naturally go down because gas has a certain amount of energy in it and you need twice as much gas to make twice as much power with everything else being equal. (Well, when the car is being driven hard anyway :))