Hellgate london new content/ Developer chat

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005
http://forums.hellgatelondon.com/showthread.php?t=56089

[dem0nicist]: Since I've read a lot in the forums about systems having performance issues, would you please send us a dxdiag.txt of a system that operates properly? or better yet, can we have ALL of the ones that work properly?
[Bill Roper]: There is more than one system that operates properly, and we?ve been making a lot of improvements on game performance. The biggest and best is yet yo come in patch 0.7 when we get our memory issue fixes in. There is also a new DirectX patch we?re looking at that potentially resolves a lot of issues. We?re very happy about this since some of our problems come from outside our game code.

[fpir]: What is the release date of the next single player going to be?
[Bill Roper]: The next Single Player patch is coming up VERY soon. It is currently being tested by our QA team internally and I?ve been working on the patch notes, so you know it is close. The patch will cover single player fixes equivalent to what our multiplayer gamers have seen through patch 0.6 and we?ll look at another update to single player after the holidays.

[Muchacha]: Are you going to add an auction house and mailbox soon in game? Considering it would add a lot of value to cash and items.
[Bill Roper]: We have started working on our in-game email system that is the technological foundation for the auction house. This should also address the desire for a shared stash between characters (or account stash) since you?ll be able to send items between characters. We don?t have a release date for this yet, but it is at the top of the list.

[Sp3tSnAz]: any info on the three new classes and when they are due?
[Erich Schaefer]: I'm not going to go into specifics, but the new classes will fit into the faction structure. A new Templar, new Cabalist, etc. We have a lot of the art and varying degrees of design and implementation done. We know which one is next... We want to take the factions in new directions, so expect a suprise.

[Volatile]: When will you guys be improving the Autoparty feature?
[Erich Schaefer]: Auto-party is due for a big improvement with the 0.7 patch. Now we search towns for auto-party-desiring players and group them together, instead of waiting until the jump into an instance.
[Erich Schaefer]: Much bigger improvements in Looking for Group type interfaces coming with patch 1.0

[Ilantio]: What can we expect from the December content patch, aka 1.0?
[Erich Schaefer]: Patch 1 has a lot. Most incredible to me in testing are the new backgrounds. Completely different from the base game. New monster to go in it, with new drops, or course. But below the surface is a cool new structure. In brief: it combines structured boss runs and some party-only content.

[Guest650]: What is your plan for the next SP patch? 0.6 or 0.7? When? Will the lag time between MP and SP patches be reduced in the future?
[Bill Roper]: The current single player patch is the rough equivalent of 0.6 with multiplayer only issues and items removed and other extra single player-specific issues addressed. The plan for the next patch is to get single player up to the same basic equivalency as the Stonehenge patch (1.0). We don?t have a timeline, but we want to make these happen as close to the multiplayer releases as we can.

[Naturzauberer]: Many players think that HGL Multiplayer is a "singleplayer game with a chat mode". One of the reasons would be that the stations always seem kinda empty, which is because of the instanced system. Why aren't the stations increased in size and there are simply more players (around 100-200) allowed to join the same instance?
[Erich Schaefer]: We reduced station population density to help solve memory problems. We should be able to ratchet it up. Going forward, Stonehenge will feel like more of a multi-player game, both in town design and game dynamics

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Tabula Rasa just implemented an auction house too. It's like they all of a sudden realized "oh wait... money has no value in this game if you have nothing to spend it on". In all the years it was in development, did any of the devs bother to actually PLAY another MMO? TR lacks a mail system also, with none in sight, unlike HG:L.

What is with these games releasing with antiquated interfaces? Releasing an MMO (or hybrid) without a mail system or auction house is like releasing an FPS without mouse look.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
they should have waited to release this game for 6 weeks ... about right now :p

i think it is *stupid* to work on a game - for years - and then push a buggy product out a few weeks early to meet a "shopping season"
... i know ... it's "EA" ... competing with Atari to alienate the most fans possible ... their symbol is 666
:evil: garbage companies that can go to hell, imo

EA is the Real Boss Demon we should be targeting for elimination
:thumbsdown:

:|

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Maybe HG:L will actually be worth picking up after it's patched. But honestly, how could EA be so dumb? Releasing a bug-ridden and unfinished product will yield bad reviews, no matter how much the review sites are paid.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
This game is in serious trouble. Routinely there are ~2-3k online, that is pretty pathetic for a game of this caliber. I think they really dropped the ball on this. I don't know if it was EA or FSS, but someone screwed up. I got a good laugh out of there "improve Auto-party" response. I have been playing since release with Auto-party turned on. I have NEVER been grouped outside the couple of times I met up with a friend.

I forsee FSS going out of business in about a year if they cannot come up with something major.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I still say they relied too much on the MMOlite part of the game and it looks like that has come to hurt them much more than expected.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
i dunno ... i just gave up on the MMO aspect and am *still* having a blast with SP NIGHTMARE ... we're Level 47 and will probably be able to finish the game for the 2nd time - playing it straight through ...
... maybe ... by the End, Max will be facing demons well over ten levels higher then he is
:Q

i might need to wait for them to lift the 50 Level cap :p

Hg:L sure has saved me $$$ ... by the time i am done, most of the games i waited to buy will be fully patched ...
... and bargain bin
:D

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: apoppin
i dunno ... i just gave up on the MMO aspect and am *still* having a blast with SP NIGHTMARE ... we're Level 47 and will probably be able to finish the game for the 2nd time - playing it straight through ...
... maybe ... by the End, Max will be facing demons well over ten levels higher then he is

Hg:L sure has saved me $$$ ... by the time i am done, most of the games i waited to buy will be fully patched ...
... and bargain bin

I pushed through with my guardian to level ~40 but I can't play it anymore. I was running the same 2-3 instances over and over to grind EXP for the last few levels. My character could easily kill NPCs 10+ levels higher than he is but they give almost no exp... only NPCs within 1-2 levels actually give exp.

The leveling is too slow for an action RPG imo

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Judgement

... and bargain bin

I pushed through with my guardian to level ~40 but I can't play it anymore. I was running the same 2-3 instances over and over to grind EXP for the last few levels. My character could easily kill NPCs 10+ levels higher than he is but they give almost no exp... only NPCs within 1-2 levels actually give exp.

The leveling is too slow for an action RPG imo

i noticed that; it is a flaw ... IF you just want to level up, you need to choose enemy NPCs that are within 3 levels of your char - either up or down ... however, Max as a Level 47 Summoner is kinda "stuck" in his old armor :p He has mass Willpower and Firepower but goes down easily if the enemy NPCs break thru; he is SO strong [especially with the mind-control weapons] that i still have a pile of unused experience points ... yet the mobs are SO thick, he is actually leveling up against Level 56+ NPCs [in about 6 hours]

i just changed my strategy :p

boatillo

Dec 14, 2004
Still not going to pay $10 a month to play this game Flagship!

What are they going to do with the 3 new classes and this stupid fee? Like as long as you pay us man you can play this class, but if you stop your character is all greyed out?? Fing stupid design plan.

I will however continue to play my $50 game in SP :p

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: boatillo
Still not going to pay $10 a month to play this game Flagship!

What are they going to do with the 3 new classes and this stupid fee? Like as long as you pay us man you can play this class, but if you stop your character is all greyed out?? Fing stupid design plan.

I will however continue to play my $50 game in SP :p

let's just say i got my $39 worth ... over and over
... i guess at least 300 hours ... i play about 4 hours a night

they would need a *hell* of a lot "more" than a few new classes to get me to subscribe for $10 a month
.... the *only* thing i am really looking forward to is the [SP] expansion

i am beginning to wonder who the fool is that rushes these unfinished games out and then expect us to pay a premium for ... nothing
[... PS: it was rhetorical ... EA is the Devil
:evil:

... with profuse apologies to Satan]
rose.gif

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
apoppin, im not sure that they will be releasing the typical expansion, but rather that expansion might be part of the "elite membership" thing. even though i don't own the game, i think it'd be better for them to release a typical expansion say... 1 year after a major content update, that way premium members get the goods, and regular players can join in as well (only later).

hopefully they do something like that, for the people who play SP and/or don't want to pay monthly.

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005
Originally posted by: quikah
This game is in serious trouble. Routinely there are ~2-3k online, that is pretty pathetic for a game of this caliber. I think they really dropped the ball on this. I don't know if it was EA or FSS, but someone screwed up. I got a good laugh out of there "improve Auto-party" response. I have been playing since release with Auto-party turned on. I have NEVER been grouped outside the couple of times I met up with a friend.

I forsee FSS going out of business in about a year if they cannot come up with something major.

Dude they haven't released the party system reamp update yet :! its coming very late December in the 1.7 patch. Also this wasn't FSS fault :! they were only given 3 years to develop a new engine , a game and weren't given enough time after closed beta. The game went gold way to fast just so it could be out before Christmas which was a huge mistake by EA. If this game had been delayed till Late Jan , then it would have gotten good reviews. Also FSS is finding some success in korea where gamers love these type of game.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Yeah, I know they haven't released the auto party update yet. I am just laughing that they are claiming to improve something that essentially isn't even in the game to start with. I really don't see how you can blame EA for the 3 or 4 maps and 3 or 4 monsters that the entire game uses. They had 3 years and came up with that?

I think I am pretty much done with the game. I don't really like the fact that all the real improvements, which would make the game something I expected from the start, are subscriber only.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Yeah, I know they haven't released the auto party update yet. I am just laughing that they are claiming to improve something that essentially isn't even in the game to start with. I really don't see how you can blame EA for the 3 or 4 maps and 3 or 4 monsters that the entire game uses. They had 3 years and came up with that?

I think I am pretty much done with the game. I don't really like the fact that all the real improvements, which would make the game something I expected from the start, are subscriber only.

QFMFT

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Originally posted by: JD50

QFMFT

Could not have said it better myself.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: KMFJD

QFMFT

You mean could not have exaggerated it better?
:confused:

there are a dozen plus custom maps and 30 monster variations
- but there should be more ... i am waiting for Hellgate: Hollywood expansion

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003

[/quote]
Exaggeration is the lifeblood of the internet. :)

Despite there being a dozen maps seems like over 50% of the instance are in either the subway, tunnel or burned out cityscape maps.

Take a random Screenshot of D2 and you could say what Act you were in and get a good approximation of the waypoint also. Take a random screenshot of HGL and you would be HARD pressed to determine what Act you were in let alone the instance.

Same could be said for the monsters.

I am not going to go through trying to count each map or monster. I am sure you are technically correct, there are a lot of maps and monsters in HGL. The problem is it doesn't feel like there are, and that is the REAL problem with the game.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

Exaggeration is the lifeblood of the internet. :)

Despite there being a dozen maps seems like over 50% of the instance are in either the subway, tunnel or burned out cityscape maps.

Take a random Screenshot of D2 and you could say what Act you were in and get a good approximation of the waypoint also. Take a random screenshot of HGL and you would be HARD pressed to determine what Act you were in let alone the instance.

Same could be said for the monsters.

I am not going to go through trying to count each map or monster. I am sure you are technically correct, there are a lot of maps and monsters in HGL. The problem is it doesn't feel like there are, and that is the REAL problem with the game.
[/quote]

it would be *impossible* unless you were in a very specific map - like Piccadilly Square - the maps are random generated but DO follow a pretty specific pattern
--and monsters are also "grouped" so there is less variety then there could be .... However, at the highest levels you get every type of monster at once - so it is still pretty satisfying [for me]
... in fact, when blasting away i could actually watch the "level-up" meter increasing

but ultimately i do agree ... there should be much more variety ... and i am looking forward to an expansion
--all the "failed" content for MP :p

btw, wth is "Blood Moon"?

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Nope, i stand by the fact that the game is boring and the levels and monsters are boring, i only made it to level 27 online, but i felt it was very repetitive. I really enjoyed it at first but it just wore out rather quickly for me....

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
btw, wth is "Blood Moon"?

Blood Moon occurs in Bloombury (before British Museum). Normally Bloomsbury is a tunnel (or burned out city I forgot). But with high enough luck and many log off and retries, Bloomsbury will turn into a "Hell" map setting, there, you will find the Blood Moon. (I haven't done this myself, this is according to the their forums)

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: KMFJD

QFMFT

Ummm...no. The game is boring as hell (hehe). Its just the same tile set over and over and over.....Trust me, I really wanted to like this game. The combat is INCREDIBLE, its the most fun that I've had. But after the same repetitive BS I just couldn't take it anymore. So much potential, what waste....:(