Hellgate: London gets firm release date.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005
Originally posted by: hooflung
Originally posted by: Ichigo
Heck, this is a game with instances like Diablo 2 or Guild Wars. The latter avoided additional fees. This game has lost my money.

I have guild wars. To play with my friends I have to buy 2 more expansions. So, if Hellgate wants to charge for some extra content how is this different than Guild Wars?

Is that extra content on the level on an entire expansion pack? Does anyone know what the "extra content" will be? Until I know that, I'm staying skeptical.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Games for Windows magazine had a good preview of Hellgate a while back that addressed how the paid thing works. Here's the differences I've read:

First off, realize that single-player and online characters are completely different (as was the case in Diablo 2). You can't play your single player character on line, and you can't use your multiplayer character off-line. The bare game gives you 3 online character slots, and paid users get 12.

Paid users also have priority in the event there's a line for the server you want to join. No waiting in line for them.

Apparently there are lockers scattered about to store some items. Default is ~20 items, elite users have space for ~40 AND the ability to share those items with any of their other characters.

Elite users have access to unique gear that nobody else can find, buy, or trade for. I don't believe the STATS are special, but it's more the look that'll distinguish the elites from the standards. Not positive though...

Elites also have access to a few more game modes and special servers. They can stick with the standard servers and game modes if they want, but there's elite-only servers they can play if they want to avoid some of the newbies.

There will also be fairly updated content that only the elites will have access to. New monsters, new PVP battlefields, items, and even new classes that will be brought upon in monthly updates. It says at least 40% of the staff will be devoted to bringing new content to paid subscribers so they ALWAYS get something for their 10 bucks a month.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: gorcorps
Games for Windows magazine had a good preview of Hellgate a while back that addressed how the paid thing works. Here's the differences I've read:

First off, realize that single-player and online characters are completely different (as was the case in Diablo 2). You can't play your single player character on line, and you can't use your multiplayer character off-line. The bare game gives you 3 online character slots, and paid users get 12.

Paid users also have priority in the event there's a line for the server you want to join. No waiting in line for them.

Apparently there are lockers scattered about to store some items. Default is ~20 items, elite users have space for ~40 AND the ability to share those items with any of their other characters.

Elite users have access to unique gear that nobody else can find, buy, or trade for. I don't believe the STATS are special, but it's more the look that'll distinguish the elites from the standards. Not positive though...

Elites also have access to a few more game modes and special servers. They can stick with the standard servers and game modes if they want, but there's elite-only servers they can play if they want to avoid some of the newbies.

There will also be fairly updated content that only the elites will have access to. New monsters, new PVP battlefields, items, and even new classes that will be brought upon in monthly updates. It says at least 40% of the staff will be devoted to bringing new content to paid subscribers so they ALWAYS get something for their 10 bucks a month.

That was the article I was speaking of early. Wow, $10 per month. Yeah, think I'm skipping that coaster.

Yanagi

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2004
I dont know. I actually like the idea of combining a single player game and an MMORPG. All other games I've seen have either been exclusively Offline/Multiplayer, or MMORG. This game lets you choose and alternate between those two. If you're looking for a Diablo clone, play offline mode. You want to play diablo a'la battlenet, you play online, either for free, or pay to acess extra content.

I see nothing bad in here, they only give you a lot more choices than other games do.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: lupi
That was the article I was speaking of early. Wow, $10 per month. Yeah, think I'm skipping that coaster.

Who said you have to pay? I still don't understand why everyone's bitching and moaning in this thread, "Ohhh booo-hooo we have to pay for a game, but we really don't have to, booo-hooo!" Get this through your head, based on what's been released, you should still have a good experience regardless of whether or not you pay. To me, it looks like the payments are more for the people that want to really get into the game (as the game provides bonuses for characters).

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Aikouka

Who said you have to pay? I still don't understand why everyone's bitching and moaning in this thread, "Ohhh booo-hooo we have to pay for a game, but we really don't have to, booo-hooo!" Get this through your head, based on what's been released, you should still have a good experience regardless of whether or not you pay. To me, it looks like the payments are more for the people that want to really get into the game (as the game provides bonuses for characters).

Because those that aren't moaning are being narrowminded and not looking at the big picture. You think once this one comes out that other publishers won't say "hey what a neat idea, let's release a game with 2/3 of the content available and make people pay more for the final 1/3 with a promise of more stuff". And for anyone to say this won't happen, it's safe to say you're an idiot as the PC game industry is about the biggest group of copy cats out there.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Because those that aren't moaning are being narrowminded and not looking at the big picture. You think once this one comes out that other publishers won't say "hey what a neat idea, let's release a game with 2/3 of the content available and make people pay more for the final 1/3 with a promise of more stuff". And for anyone to say this won't happen, it's safe to say you're an idiot as the PC game industry is about the biggest group of copy cats out there.

Puh-lease, quit being such a pessimistic whiner about this kind of stuff. You're reaching for straws in trying to complain about this and yet... you have no idea if it will even be bad or not. You're paying for extending features that the unpaid features still allow the same gameplay. Three characters instead of ten for online play, whoop-dee-doo! They at least give you the option to play for free on their servers with the same options as the "elite", except they get prettier-looking gear. The humanity!

In other words, you're being overly negative about something seemingly alright and also with absolutely nothing but guesses rather than actual hands-on. Even looking at some "big picture" and assuming that people will suddenly be charged for content that they should've got in the first place is just ludicrous. If so, we would've seen that already, because us XBOX 360 users have been getting raped on DLC for over a year now.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Aikouka

please for the sake of the rest of us ... boycott the damn game

i will buy it ... for the SP experience ... and SO WHAT? if they charge us and it is WORTH it for online play ... if it is NOT worth it, don't buy it

right now you are complaining just for the sake of complaining
:thumbsdown:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Puh-lease, quit being such a pessimistic whiner about this kind of
stuff.

I'd rather whine than be a blindfolded sheeple.

You're reaching for straws in trying to complain about this and
yet... you have no idea if it will even be bad or not.

Hmm, almost think that I mentioned the lack of concrete info on the game
earlier in this very thread.

You're paying for extending features that the unpaid features still
allow the same gameplay. Three characters instead of ten for online
play, whoop-dee-doo! They at least give you the option to play for free
on their servers with the same options as the "elite", except they get
prettier-looking gear. The humanity!

Along with the previous statement, you have exactly zero idea of how the
gameplay will actually be affected with pay for play vs play for free at
the moment of release or as it evolves at some point after release. But
feel free to continue making statements defending the additional charge
mechanic based on what you "know".

In other words, you're being overly negative about something
seemingly alright and also with absolutely nothing but guesses rather
than actual hands-on.

Besides being able to point out dozens of examples in history where this
was said; um see previous acknowledged comments.

Even looking at some "big picture" and assuming that people will
suddenly be charged for content that they should've got in the first
place is just ludicrous. If so, we would've seen that already, because
us XBOX 360 users have been getting raped on DLC for over a year
now.

You really want to bring up the console market into this? A market
saturated by ill-informed consumers willing to overspend on many items
as most of them are buying to placate their children with little actual
knowledge other than the name of a game written on a piece of paper and
the price listed on the shelf tag they are looking at. Not to mention
even if you did want to make that leap at one place you are spending a
fixed $ for something while here they are putting a monthly fee into
effect.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I'd rather whine than be a blindfolded sheeple.

One cannot be oblivious when there's nothing to be oblivious of.

Hmm, almost think that I mentioned the lack of concrete info on the game
earlier in this very thread.

There is some information on what the paid features will be. Whether these are exact is yet to be known... hell they could be changed after release, but this is what we have to go on. Your nay saying is just speculation on what you think will happen (but what is actually just some extremely negative pessimistic view on life that reminds me way too much of Pontifex's posts). If I wanted constant negativity, I'd go join an emo board.

Along with the previous statement, you have exactly zero idea of how the
gameplay will actually be affected with pay for play vs play for free at
the moment of release or as it evolves at some point after release. But
feel free to continue making statements defending the additional charge
mechanic based on what you "know".

Read above, we have an idea whether or not it's exact or can change has yet to be seen.

Besides being able to point out dozens of examples in history where this
was said; um see previous acknowledged comments.

I'd actually like to see some examples and nothing along the lines of "promised vs received" as that isn't the issue here, the issue is paid vs free when the game has a standard up-front cost (i.e. your typical $40-50).

You really want to bring up the console market into this? A market
saturated by ill-informed consumers willing to overspend on many items
as most of them are buying to placate their children with little actual
knowledge other than the name of a game written on a piece of paper and
the price listed on the shelf tag they are looking at. Not to mention
even if you did want to make that leap at one place you are spending a
fixed $ for something while here they are putting a monthly fee into
effect.

Umm sure... that's why I mentioned it?

God Mode

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2005
I wouldn't mind playing and paying a monthly if it wasn't instanced BS.

There is no way I'm paying for this game and playing single player/non-elite mode when I know a better experience exists. IMO charging monthly for instanced mmoish games is a rip-off.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
One cannot be oblivious when there's nothing to be oblivious of.

And one doesn't know what shit smells like without smelling shit; but feel
free to keep relevant.

There is some information on what the paid features will be.
Whether these are exact is yet to be known... hell they could be
changed after release
, but this is what we have to go on.

Welcome to one of my points.

Your nay saying is just speculation on what you think will happen
(but what is actually just some extremely negative pessimistic view on
life that reminds me way too much of Pontifex's posts). If I wanted
constant negativity, I'd go join an emo board.

Enjoy your trip.

And at one point there where no FPS games, now you can't shake your 5
fingered date without bumping into several new ones every release cycle.
Same things goes with WW2 themes or MMOs post WoW.

Read above, we have an idea whether or not it's exact or can change
has yet to be seen.

At least you're now agreeing.

the issue is paid vs free when the game has a standard up-front cost
(i.e. your typical $40-50).

That's one of the issues, as I've already said.

Umm sure... that's why I mentioned it?

Then go enjoy your console; it will always be technologically behind the
capability of the PC and is filled with such a greater percentage of
crap for the reasons I previously mentioned.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: God Mode
I wouldn't mind playing and paying a monthly if it wasn't instanced BS.

There is no way I'm paying for this game and playing single player/non-elite mode when I know a better experience exists. IMO charging monthly for instanced mmoish games is a rip-off.

What, you wouldn't want to buy Guild Wars and then also pay a monthly fee! I'm shocked.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
And one doesn't know what shit smells like without smelling shit; but feel
free to keep relevant.

You're the one that talked about being a sheep and now you want me to keep relevant to the discussion? The point is there's nothing to be "sheepish" over, which was what I meant.

Welcome to one of my points.

You're not getting it... you're being negative when there's absolutely no precedent to be! Flagship Studios is a new company and we have no game from them to really base the future on. The only thing you can look at is Diablo II, but that's still a Blizzard game and Blizzard would've made the call on monetary requirements.

And at one point there where no FPS games, now you can't shake your 5
fingered date without bumping into several new ones every release cycle.
Same things goes with WW2 themes or MMOs post WoW.

When haven't there been FPS games? :confused: Quake III, Quake IV, Doom III, Unreal Tournament, Unreal Tournament 2003, Unreal Tournament 2004, Unreal, Unreal expansion, Unreal 2, Serious Sam, Serious Sam 2, Half-Life, Half-Life II... we're not even touching the last year with this... If anything, Half-Life started more of the story-based shooter craze.

At least you're now agreeing.

I'm not agreeing with you... you're proclaiming all this negativity which is purely 100% speculation. There is absolutely no factual representation in your argument. You also attempt to argue that what we currently have listed as differences will drastically alter the gameplay, when there is no evidence of that either.

That's one of the issues, as I've already said.

This has already been done with MMOs and also, we have no idea whether or not Flagship even plans to have banner ads, which if I remember correctly, Battle.Net does use banner ads. It's been awhile since I've used B.Net so I can't remember exactly. Also, based on the listed differences, a normal user shouldn't have a problem with being an average non-paying "subscriber."

Then go enjoy your console; it will always be technologically behind the
capability of the PC and is filled with such a greater percentage of
crap for the reasons I previously mentioned.

Uhhh so what if it is? I already own a high-end PC as well.... The point of even bringing them up was to combat your, "if one person does it, everyone else will copy" argument as consoles have been making people pay for extras for over a year now.

bobert

Dec 6, 2004
My problem with this payment plan/option is that it seems like it's extremely hard (or impossible) to please both parties. If I decided I might pay 10$/month, I'd feel like the elite content is not worth it. However, I'd feel like if I didn't pay, I wouldn't want to be limited with 3 character and 20 item slots. 3 character slots is limiting!!

The only way I'd be pleased with the free portion is if at launch, the elite membership didn't actually give you additional content (maybe besides the waiting in lines, and other looks-only stuff), because anything given to elite members only at launch is content they had ready at the launch!!! That means they just limited the game. So you can't say they didn't limit the "full game" (free portion) when they had aspects of the game set off and reserved for subscribers at launch. I'm okay with paying for additional content created in the future (AFTER LAUNCH).

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: bobert
My problem with this payment plan/option is that it seems like it's extremely hard (or impossible) to please both parties. If I decided I might pay 10$/month, I'd feel like the elite content is not worth it. However, I'd feel like if I didn't pay, I wouldn't want to be limited with 3 character and 20 item slots. 3 character slots is limiting!!

The only way I'd be pleased with the free portion is if at launch, the elite membership didn't actually give you additional content (maybe besides the waiting in lines, and other looks-only stuff), because anything given to elite members only at launch is content they had ready at the launch!!! That means they just limited the game. So you can't say they didn't limit the "full game" (free portion) when they had aspects of the game set off and reserved for subscribers at launch. I'm okay with paying for additional content created in the future (AFTER LAUNCH).

in guild wars you get.. what, 4 character slots? and you can pay to get more. HGL is no different.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
You're the one that talked about being a sheep and now you want me to
keep relevant to the discussion? The point is there's nothing to be
"sheepish" over, which was what I meant.

Then you need to do some studying on current consumer/political trends.

You're not getting it... you're being negative when there's
absolutely no precedent to be! Flagship Studios is a new company and we
have no game from them to really base the future on. The only thing you
can look at is Diablo II, but that's still a Blizzard game and Blizzard
would've made the call on monetary requirements.

Are they requiring an additional monetary amount (in this cause as a
monthly fee) for complete access to the game. Yep, seems pretty
preceding to me.

When haven't there been FPS games? Quake III, Quake IV, Doom III,
Unreal Tournament, Unreal Tournament 2003, Unreal Tournament 2004,
Unreal, Unreal expansion, Unreal 2, Serious Sam, Serious Sam 2,
Half-Life, Half-Life II... we're not even touching the last year with
this... If anything, Half-Life started more of the story-based shooter
craze.

Lol

Lol

Ok, that was really funny. Good to see that you are so old school
in gaming.

I'm not agreeing with you... you're proclaiming all this negativity
which is purely 100% speculation. There is absolutely no factual
representation in your argument. You also attempt to argue that what we
currently have listed as differences will drastically alter the
gameplay, when there is no evidence of that either.

Point 1: To access all game content you will have to pay an additional
fee along with purchasing the base product. Something not done outside
of some MMOs and very much true.
Point 2: The industry (and I realize you were still nursing during the
early stages of the industry) has always jumped onto a successful
theme/genre/[insert anything that made money here]. Again, quite
factual.

This has already been done with MMOs

It has only been done on MMOs (with very limited exception), and hasn't
necessarily done that well which is why there are more tanked MMOs than
running MMOs.

Uhhh so what if it is? I already own a high-end PC as well.... The
point of even bringing them up was to combat your, "if one person does
it, everyone else will copy" argument as consoles have been making
people pay for extras for over a year now.

And now you know about the sheeple.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Are they requiring an additional monetary amount (in this cause as a
monthly fee) for complete access to the game. Yep, seems pretty
preceding to me.

There are no precedents in Flagship's repetoire of games that show that Hellgate London will have a seriously hampered gameplay unless you pay. Pretty simple response if you 1) knew what a precedent was 2) realize that this is Flagship's only game. Wow, that was difficult.

Lol

Lol

Ok, that was really funny. Good to see that you are so old school
in gaming.

I don't see what's so funny... I chose not to go back further than ~1999 as there's no point in discussing abandonware and my current table went around a decade back, which is still a considerably long period of time for gaming, which in its current highly graphical state is quite new.

Point 1: To access all game content you will have to pay an additional
fee along with purchasing the base product. Something not done outside
of some MMOs and very much true.
Point 2: The industry (and I realize you were still nursing during the
early stages of the industry) has always jumped onto a successful
theme/genre/[insert anything that made money here]. Again, quite
factual.

1) Based on what they've listed, the only content you miss out on is armor that no one even knows the difference.
2) The "industry" was producing black and white shit games while I was nursing and yet again, you're talking about a supposed payment model that has no basis in currently released information about the game. Everything you say is speculatory! Stop treating it as fact because you are obviously so damn smart. /bowtoGodLupi

And now you know about the sheeple.

Typical rubbish, you're ignoring the argument because you realize it destroys everything you've been putting out. I showed you that paying for extra content has been rampant on consoles yet if it's so popular... why aren't we seeing it spread like wildfire on the PC? Heck, if you look at it, Epic games wanted to give out map packs for Gears of War for free (a typical concept for PC games), but Microsoft wouldn't allow it. So if the concept is so alluring, why would Epic want to stick with the idea of not making money on charging for extras?

With the exception of the armor and possibly the sending of items between characters, the differences are nothing other than an enhanced online experience where the content is the same, you just have a couple extra bonuses that may make your time easier (such as extra bag slots so you have more room to carry your spoils of war!)

My only advice to you is to take your fear mongering self back to P&N... I'm already tired of this circular "debating."

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Can't say I've ever been to P&N, but if you back your points as you've done here no wonder you are so sore about it.