Hellgate: London gets firm release date.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
until I hear more about this pay more option crap, this is my care factor |*______________________________________________________|.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: lupi
until I hear more about this pay more option crap, this is my care factor |*______________________________________________________|.

it's free online MP, just like diablo. but you can also pay for extra stuff. i repeat, paying is *optional*. i hope HGL does very well, and i intend to purchase it (screw the monthly fee though :D)

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
So you cleared the game twice, have the best stuff yet found in the game; but every time you fight johnny I live in my mom's basement and sucked from her tit till I was 12, you lose cause he's bought the uber weapon of ultimate destruction +10.

As I said in another thread, I haven't read the entire article in the mag about it, mainly cause the extra pay crap was an immediate turn off, but I certainly won't even look at it until I hear enough reports coming back about it.

kainlongshot

May 18, 2007
I dunno, I don't think it works that way. . . I think it allows access to other content that gives access to farm more powerful items. You don't go to an online market place to buy uber weapon +10 to pwn (like maple story). You have to pay to access that and quests assigned to those weapons.

. . . well I guess in a way it's kinda of the same thing. Paying for access to elite items is almost the same as paying for the item directly, plus a little effort. I think they plan on trying to balance the game in some way. Similar to green items in WoW verses some purples. It will still come down the skill in a way but having elite items certainly makes it easier. Who knows. I'll probably pick it up.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
So you cleared the game twice, have the best stuff yet found in the game; but every time you fight johnny I live in my mom's basement and sucked from her tit till I was 12, you lose cause he's bought the uber weapon of ultimate destruction +10.

As I said in another thread, I haven't read the entire article in the mag about it, mainly cause the extra pay crap was an immediate turn off, but I certainly won't even look at it until I hear enough reports coming back about it.

from what i've read (and how i understood it), the extra gear isn't necessarily better, simply different. but you're right - waiting for a review is certainly the best route

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
What's the difference between grinding 10 hrs for an item and buying the item? More than likely, it's the 'johnny i live in my mom's basement and sucked from her tit till i was 12' that will be whining about this, and the people with jobs and other commitment in life that will benefit from it (assuming this is how it will really work).

Doesn't matter to me though, i have no interest in these types of games. But i see nothing wrong with buying equipment to get an edge. In tennis, i use to see people come to the tournaments with a bag of 4-5 $300+ rackets that they've learned to use by paying $75/hr sessions... and i would go with my $200 racket and maybe a friends, all self-taught, and i put up a fair game, and boy did it feel good when i did kick their ass.

Life isn't fair, get use to it. Some people have more time, and other people have more money.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Looney
What's the difference between grinding 10 hrs for an item and buying the item? More than likely, it's the 'johnny i live in my mom's basement and sucked from her tit till i was 12' that will be whining about this, and the people with jobs and other commitment in life that will benefit from it (assuming this is how it will really work).

Doesn't matter to me though, i have no interest in these types of games. But i see nothing wrong with buying equipment to get an edge. In tennis, i use to see people come to the tournaments with a bag of 4-5 $300+ rackets that they've learned to use by paying $75/hr sessions... and i would go with my $200 racket and maybe a friends, all self-taught, and i put up a fair game, and boy did it feel good when i did kick their ass.

Life isn't fair, get use to it. Some people have more time, and other people have more money.

pretty much.

How much is your time worth is what is boils down to.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Um, no. I paid the same as every other joe schmoe to pick the game off the shelf. For sure as hell not going to partake into any those willing to spend more get better stuff scheme crap; if for no other reason to ensure that crap doesn't spread to other studios.

Just wait to Halo 4 is released at 20 different price points, each higher tier includes more item unlocks of gear. Yeah, the console boys would love that. :roll:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Um, no. I paid the same as every other joe schmoe to pick the game off the shelf. For sure as hell not going to partake into any those willing to spend more get better stuff scheme crap; if for no other reason to ensure that crap doesn't spread to other studios.

Just wait to Halo 4 is released at 20 different price points, each higher tier includes more item unlocks of gear. Yeah, the console boys would love that. :roll:

i thought that was "halo3: legendary edition"? :D

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
After watching several of the ingame videos that they released I can't see the attraction.
It looks like a poorly done 3d diablo.
The graphics did not impress me.
Maybe its got gameplay.. dunno have to wait for a beta/demo.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Modelworks
After watching several of the ingame videos that they released I can't see the attraction.
It looks like a poorly done 3d diablo.
The graphics did not impress me.
Maybe its got gameplay.. dunno have to wait for a beta/demo.

diablo2 certainly didn't have great graphics. in fact, i liked diablo1's graphics better. but both games are highly addictive.

considering the purpose of games is to play them, not act as a tech demo, i'd hope for better gameplay than graphics, though that is hardly the norm today.

remember kids, graphics do not make the game :p

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000

So what about people with better precision mouse. Larger screen, more resolution. Better CPU and GPU. Better connections, lower pings. They all have an advantage over you. Are you going to whine about that too?

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001

So what about people with better precision mouse. Larger screen, more resolution. Better CPU and GPU. Better connections, lower pings. They all have an advantage over you. Are you going to whine about that too?

Those are cheaters. They must be dealt with properly, but limiting the game to 640x480, no AA, no textures, and minimal detail settings. :p

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001

If you're trying to compete against broadband users on a dial up, you're gonna have problems. The other items won't matter to competative gameplay.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I have a friend in the Alpha, and he says this game is going to be excellent. Seems like the Hunter class will be perfect for my style and preference of game play too.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007

If you're trying to compete against broadband users on a dial up, you're gonna have problems. The other items won't matter to competative gameplay.

Competetive Gameplay? I thought this game was mainly PvE, you're making it sound like a deathmatch FPS where people that pay get BFG's and eveyrone else gets pistols. I'm sure there will be some kind of pvp in this game since there was in diablo 2 and pvp is a big thing nowadays, and I'm sure the developers thought of the potential balance problems and aren't going to force you to pay for the best items. Anyway, I will wait to see what exactly you get for paying before I pay, but I'm not totally opposed to paying. Even if I don't I will still play a ton with my friends.

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005

I have money to spend, but I think to some extent this is a crappy direction for a game. It's not like PC gamers are not taxed enough already. Obviously I can see the appeal (which is worrisome, somewhat) to developers... hell, maybe in 3 years you'll be spending 650 on a video card and another 40 bucks for the "Realistic Content" patch which gives you better textures and sound quality.

No thanks

effee

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2004
I am really hyped about the game, though I disagree with the extra charges (duh, who doesnt)

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005
Heck, this is a game with instances like Diablo 2 or Guild Wars. The latter avoided additional fees. This game has lost my money.

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004

Just like your oppinion to this thread?

The game will be good. The graphics look amazing, there is a lot of DX10 stuff in it that noone else does. I didn't play D1 or D2 but this game looks good. Go to Guild Wars if you want free content with no monthly fee. After 30 hours of the game... I hope you don't cry about how someone playing the game for a year beat you in PVP because you don't have your spell that you need to counter.

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
Originally posted by: Ichigo
Heck, this is a game with instances like Diablo 2 or Guild Wars. The latter avoided additional fees. This game has lost my money.

I have guild wars. To play with my friends I have to buy 2 more expansions. So, if Hellgate wants to charge for some extra content how is this different than Guild Wars?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: hooflung

Just like your oppinion to this thread?

The game will be good. The graphics look amazing, there is a lot of DX10 stuff in it that noone else does. I didn't play D1 or D2 but this game looks good. Go to Guild Wars if you want free content with no monthly fee. After 30 hours of the game... I hope you don't cry about how someone playing the game for a year beat you in PVP because you don't have your spell that you need to counter.

Thank you for your uninformative reply.