(Heise.de) Nvidia Kepler GPUs are not fully compatible with DirectX 11.1

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Actually that's good news, only...how do we know what monitors will support this new 3D? Right now don't you need a 3D Vision monitor for Nvidia and those don't work with AMD's 3D?

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
Here, here is your proof. Random clips of anonymous poster's opinions.:rolleyes:

Make of that what you will, but people should be outraged /sarcasm.

Which is what most of forums posts are made of and no one is asking for anyone to be out raged.

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
I believe there is also a movement to have 3D on the regular 2d desktop. One step closer to what we see in TV and movies of detectives grabbing/swiping overlaying with a touch display etc.

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
It specifically states Direct2D, not Direct3D. Again I am under the impression that Direct2D is not used in games today. Maybe it is and I don't understand how exactly.

Kepler supports UAVs in pixel and compute shaders. But not in tessellation related (hull and domain shader) or any other shader type before the rasterizers. And in my opinion, that is gaming relevant. Use of UAVs in vertex, geometry, hull and domain shaders have no potential use for anything outside of gaming. Where else does one use this shader types? So nV's claim they support all gaming relevant DX11.1 features is plain wrong in my opinion.
If I'm not mistaken, they don't support a single feature of level 11_1 which is not optional for level 11_0.
It seems that part matters to 3D.
But we shall see.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Nvidia still didn't publicly own up to the YLOD hardware issues that crippled PS3s. Instead they quietly let Sony take the entire blame, while it was 100% related to the infamous bump-gate scandal that later crippled GeForce 8/9 chips. If we take NV at face value, they need to be transparent about both their failures and successes and yet when the original PS3s failed due to failed solder over time that requires RSX re-balling to fix, NV didn't say a word. I wouldn't hold NV to any kind of ethical standards.

Where is your rant about the RROD? YLOD is quite rare, RROD was the norm.

What is particularly comical about your rant is that you are blaming nVidia for a part Sony themselves makes. Feeling bright are ya? I have already spent a considerable amount of time laying out how Sony makes consoles for you, don't bother trying to link a thread about Linux support proving 3D Blu Ray support for an old processor on this one, you are bashing nVidia for something Sony specced, fabbed and packaged themselves.

If nVidia is responsible for YLOD, AMD is responsible for RROD- AMD was a multi billion dollar gaffe that impacted millions, I have never met anyone that had a YLOD(I know it isn't extremely rare, but failed optical drives are *far* more common).