Healthcare bill debate passed

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Sorry, was premature. I need to actually watch rather than glancing back and forth.

What passed is the debate on the abortion rules and the republican plan. Next up is 4 hours of debating the topics.

Last edited:

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
Don't see it on any of the major news sites yet.. but remember passing the house is the easy part. The senate approving it is a whole different issue.

bl4ckfl4g

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2007
Ummm the only thing passed was the debate rules. If you are going to report...learn to follow along.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Ummm the only thing passed was the debate rules. If you are going to report...learn to follow along.

Thanks for the note.
I was busy doing something else and glanced at the screen and they didn't have the title changed :)

oops!

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Feel sorry for any med students out there.

I saw that a large group of members of the AMA and several surgeons groups are having an emergency meeting to force the AMA to remove their approval of the bill, or else.

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/ama_healthcare_endorse/2009/11/06/282998.html
The American Medical Association (AMA) is facing a rebellion from some of its members, who have introduced a resolution to revoke the organization's endorsement of the Democrats' healthcare proposals.

AMA delegates tell Newsmax that the association's board of trustees failed to obtain delegate approval before endorsing the reform proposals. The AMA's delegate assembly is considered the group's primary policy-making body.

Dr. James Dolan, the president of the Florida Medical Association, tells Newsmax the delegates "are pretty upset with the board of trustees right now" and an emergency resolution will be submitted to revoke the endorsement.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2007
Were completely doomed now. Goodbye USA.
panda-lol.gif
panda-lol.gif
panda-lol.gif
panda-lol.gif
panda-lol.gif
panda-lol.gif
panda-lol.gif
panda-lol.gif
panda-lol.gif
panda-lol.gif

LOL

newnameman

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
You guys know the bill hasn't been passed yet, right? The vote was just to continue debate.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
If that's the case then we aren't really experiencing any change, are we?

Never think it can't get worse. This bill isn't about health care, this is about insurance and control.

When someone wants to tackle health care itself then that will be a separate issue.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
So they are going to vote in 72 hours after the legislative text has been finalize per Nancy Pelosi's promise?

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
I believe the legislative text they are voting on was finished a few days ago. There will of course be amendments proposed.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I for one will welcome a house passage of health care reform although I doubt the bill will approach perfection.

Sadly I predict an almost 100% party line split and agree the Senate passage will be far harder.

But at least we have a bill that I hope will force the American people to apples to apples compare the failing system we have with what we can have.

Health care reform was overdue in 1993, the can has been kicked down the road while our existing system has become so cost ineffective that its imminent failure is already happening. As it is, health care is grubbing up 20+ % of GDP, it may be already larger than government itself, and in terms of performance, we are like 37'th in the world overall.

If the democrats can force health care through, its very dangerous for the GOP. Because I predict the American people and the American business will very much like the cost savings and increase in quality. And if that happens, the GOP are going to be seen as the retro idiots that lock stepped opposed reform.

As it is, the GOP is given ample chances to propose amendments and improve health care reform, and then they vote against their own amendments anyway.

But as it is the house bill train is all coupled up and ready to leave the station, regardless if the GOP is aboard or not, and if the GOP is not aboard, they lose their last chance to get aboard later.

And as the primary elections of 2010 are about to start, both democrats aand Republicans must face the voters and give an accounting of what they have done
in 2009. And if our existing health care system collapses, the GOP is going to get no where by saying yah hooray we stopped health care reform.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
I for one will welcome a house passage of health care reform although I doubt the bill will approach perfection.

Sadly I predict an almost 100% party line split and agree the Senate passage will be far harder.

But at least we have a bill that I hope will force the American people to apples to apples compare the failing system we have with what we can have.

Health care reform was overdue in 1993, the can has been kicked down the road while our existing system has become so cost ineffective that its imminent failure is already happening. As it is, health care is grubbing up 20+ % of GDP, it may be already larger than government itself, and in terms of performance, we are like 37'th in the world overall.

If the democrats can force health care through, its very dangerous for the GOP. Because I predict the American people and the American business will very much like the cost savings and increase in quality. And if that happens, the GOP are going to be seen as the retro idiots that lock stepped opposed reform.

As it is, the GOP is given ample chances to propose amendments and improve health care reform, and then they vote against their own amendments anyway.

But as it is the house bill train is all coupled up and ready to leave the station, regardless if the GOP is aboard or not, and if the GOP is not aboard, they lose their last chance to get aboard later.

And as the primary elections of 2010 are about to start, both democrats aand Republicans must face the voters and give an accounting of what they have done
in 2009. And if our existing health care system collapses, the GOP is going to get no where by saying yah hooray we stopped health care reform.

They were approx. 10 votes short yesterday and are currently still short(its not known the current tally other than they are still short). If it passes, it will be very narrowly, like by 2-3 votes. No Republican is voting yay, and there were 54 Dems originally saying they'd vote no, that was down to 50 yestersay. They need 10 more of those 50 in order to get a majority.

Also I have to note the following, because you are wrong on a point. Big Business supports this bill, small business does not. If this bill passes small business will be farked up the ass because of the mandate they HAVE to provide health coverage. In this economy, where many small businesses are closing left and right(even some Big Biz's), small business cannot cover that mandate.

And our healthcare system isnt in danger of collapsing in the next year(or even 5), so the Republicans dont have to worry about that. The Dems are losing alot of seats if they pass it, they will probably lose a lot more if they dont pass it.

Last edited:

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
They were approx. 10 votes short yesterday and are currently still short(its not known the current tally other than they are still short). If it passes, it will be very narrowly, like by 2-3 votes. No Republican is voting yay, and there were 54 Dems originally saying they'd vote no, that was down to 50 yestersay. They need 10 more of those 50 in order to get a majority.

Also I have to note the following, because you are wrong on a point. Big Business supports this bill, small business does not. If this bill passes small business will be farked up the ass because of the mandate they HAVE to provide health coverage. In this economy, where many small businesses are closing left and right(even some Big Biz's), small business cannot cover that mandate.

And our healthcare system isnt in danger of collapsing in the next year(or even 5), so the Republicans dont have to worry about that. The Dems are losing alot of seats if they pass it, they will probably lose a lot more if they dont pass it.

All the Democrats will do is throw those members districts a new bridge to get the votes.

Again, where in the constitution does it authorize congress the power to create a government run health care system?

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
All the Democrats will do is throw those members districts a new bridge to get the votes.

Again, where in the constitution does it authorize congress the power to create a government run health care system?

General welfare clause.