HDMI cable scam.

SSChevy2001

Jul 9, 2008
Local stores always make their highest margins on all types of cables and adapters.

Merry Christmas

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
This applies to just about any cable carrying a digital signal (DVI, USB, etc.). The B&M stores always have absurd prices on these things.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Worst part is, even if you KNOW there is no difference, getting the cheaper cables just isnt as convienient as it should be.

Most stores dont offer the " $12 cable" just as the video showed, now the stores may offer a $100+ , 200+ plus cable and maybe their "cheap" $40-$50 cables also.

You want the $12.00 cable, you have to order online and wait for it to ship/arrive.

Which most people wont do, because they didnt think of cables beforehand and certainly arent gonna wait 3-5 days to hook up their brand new HDTV.
So they will buy what the store offers.

Anyway, very informative video, i liked how they tested scientifically to prove the point rather than just people watching tv with different cables.
It gives the conclusions real credibility.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I think they are like $6 onsale online. i bought some decent calbes from monoprice. never had any problems with them compre to the name brand one occasionally someone in the house would buy. In fact got a defective belkin cable other day. never had any defect from monprice.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
WOW who'd a thunk that a store would make more money on accesories and sell you the most expensive ones!!!

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Yeah, the minimum price on even house-brand USB cables has hit $30-40 now. It's totally insane.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I picked up a pile of DVI-D single-link cables at a hamfest for $1 ea, and I picked up a bigger pile of USB A-to-B cables for $0.10 ea. Got a pair of HDMI 1.3b cables from Meritline for $8 or so shipped too.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Originally posted by: MTDEW
Worst part is, even if you KNOW there is no difference, getting the cheaper cables just isnt as convienient as it should be.

Most stores dont offer the " $12 cable" just as the video showed, now the stores may offer a $100+ , 200+ plus cable and maybe their "cheap" $40-$50 cables also.

You want the $12.00 cable, you have to order online and wait for it to ship/arrive.

Which most people wont do, because they didnt think of cables beforehand and certainly arent gonna wait 3-5 days to hook up their brand new HDTV.

Anyway, very informative video, i liked how they tested scientifically to prove the point rather than just people watching tv with different cables.

...don't forget that they're also usually out of stock of the $40-50 cables.

If you bought an HDTV on a whim from Best Buy and need cables in a hurry, head over to a hardware store before buying any cables at Best Buy.

Home Depot has a 6' HDMI cable for $25. http://www.homedepot.com/webap...53&productId=100573472

Sure, it's still more than $12, but it's not $80 or $100 either. Home Depot actually has a lot of decent A/V wiring much cheaper than Best Buy (they have the pricey stuff too), and they usually aren't far from each other. I discovered this years ago when I needed reasonably priced component cables, and just happened to be at a Home Depot.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: nitromullet

If you bought an HDTV on a whim from Best Buy and need cables in a hurry, head over to a hardware store before buying any cables at Best Buy.

Home Depot has a 6' HDMI cable for $25. http://www.homedepot.com/webap...53&productId=100573472

Sure, it's still more than $12, but it's not $80 or $100 either. Home Depot actually has a lot of decent A/V wiring much cheaper than Best Buy (they have the pricey stuff too), and they usually aren't far from each other. I discovered this years ago when I needed reasonably priced component cables, and just happened to be at a Home Depot.

Good advice, i would have never thought of looking at a Home Depot.
Will keep that in mind if i ever need cables "now".
:thumbsup:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I've never bought a cable from BB or any other B&M store. Anything that says Monster on it doesn't go on my equipment simply based on the fact that you're buying the same piece of copper with a name stamped on the shielding.

cusideabelincoln

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2008
Actually Big Lots, a retail store, carries 6' HDMI cables for exactly $12. 12' cables sell for $18.

Of course, I can still get better cables from monoprice for half the price, shipped.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Your cable company will ship you an hdmi cable if you asked them. Honestly, the cables cost next to nothing to produce.

And it's not hdmi cables, cables just cost a ton in general at retail stores.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Originally posted by: nitromullet

Exactly what happened to me. I didn't buy the TV on a whim, but I did need a HDMI to DVI cable, so I had to shell out 30 euro's for one, and it's only 2-3 meters ! Insane, but it happens.

edplayer

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2002

I think its just right. I would not want stores to be forced to carry government selected items at predetermined prices.

hclarkjr

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
i just bought a HDTV at best buy few weeks ago, they also tried to get me to buy one of these cables too. another lie best buy likes to push out is that all the TV's are playing in HD mode even though they are all hooked up via a regular cable TV connection. i pointed that out and asked how it is in HD if it is not hooked up via a HDMI cable and was told that the signal was still HD.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Don't forget, this is a scam that TV makers are a part of. Why not include a DVI cable with a new LCD monitor? Why not include a HDMI cable with a new 2000.00 LCDTV? What's it to them to include an extra 12 dollars to the overall price? Why?
I never buy cables from these guys. I always search online first as anyone should.

I know that there is a markup on USB cables, DVI etc. etc. But this HDMI cable scam is OFF THE HOOK!! At 262.00, that is more than a 2200% markup +/- .

Many of you know about these things, those who are experienced online shoppers and technically wise. This post was mostly for those that really didn't know. I hope this serves to save somebody from being preyed upon. Buy all your accessories online. Search for the best deals, and don't be convinced that a name brand is superior to a no name brand. As you can see from that video, a cable is a cable. Monster, or RocketFish, does not equate to "Made of Gold". Copper is just fine. ;)

And don't forget about printer ink and toner. Same principal applies. You can get a decent laser printer these days for about 100 bucks, even less. But the toner costs about 60.00 a pop WITHOUT the drum unit. And Inkjet printers are a dime a dozen these days, but a set of inkjet cartridges (black, Cyan, Yellow, Magenta) can cost almost as much as the printer, and they don't last very long!

Shop online for these as well!!! You'll find a worthy deal if you spend 5 minutes on Google or other search engine.

US Government regulation on these things will never come to pass as this is a capitalist country. Money, money, money. Anyway they can find to suck the dollars from your pocketbooks and wallets, has been thought of, and they're always thinking of new ways to get more of it.

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
A guy I work with bought one of those high priced monster cables for over $100.I asked him why and he said it is a monster cable they are the best.

I paid $10 for my clearance hdmi cable from walmart 2 years ago and I have never had a problem with it yet.Some people are just plain stupid when it comes to stuff like this.

It is just like the console makers.Microsoft doesn't make shit off of the 360 system they make the money off of the accessories.People just dont want to admit they aren't as smart as they think they are.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Bman123
A guy I work with bought one of those high priced monster cables for over $100.I asked him why and he said it is a monster cable they are the best.

I paid $10 for my clearance hdmi cable from walmart 2 years ago and I have never had a problem with it yet.Some people are just plain stupid when it comes to stuff like this.

It is just like the console makers.Microsoft doesn't make shit off of the 360 system they make the money off of the accessories.People just dont want to admit they aren't as smart as they think they are.

You know the funny thing is you can get high quality HDMI cables from around $30(ie gold plated ,oxygen free,silver plated conductors etc) ie Belkin Silver series link. , so why buy a $200 dollar cable?......I'll be the first to say I don't buy super cheap cables ,however I don't go high end either, most of us know analogue cables are more critical of performance/quality errors compared to a digital signal via digital cable which is more robust for obvious reasons.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Bman123

"Stupid" is not the correct adjective to use here. "Uninformed" is more like it. It's not fair to call them stupid just because they don't know any better. That's like calling someone who can't conduct a brain surgery stupid. If you put that person through an education for brain surgeon, chances are they will be able to conduct brain surgery. Depends on the person.

Also, unwilling to conduct research on their own, could be considered "lazy" at best, but not stupid. Most anybody can learn the basics of something if they only "wanted" to. Or had the "time" to.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
yea i agree, i use monoprice's or some other generic brand low end HDMI and component cables for my Home theater which consists of a SONY XBR5, ONkyo Receiver (Cheap HDMI); PS3 (Cheap HDMI); BR Player (Cheap HDMI); DVD Upscaler (Cheap component); Set Top Cable Box (Cheap component). Everything looks perfect as can be. No signal problems, no static, no noise (vibrations). no anything.

the only thing i own that is monster is some older cables and a Surge Protector. and i only got those because i got a GREAT deal on them. Monster doesn't actually make bad products. they're just overpriced. if you pay a decent price for them then go for it.