HDD slow, unresponsive after Hibernate (win 10)

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
Oh wise ones!
After resuming from hibernate or sleep the secondary mechanical HDD in my Win 10 desktop become extremely slow and unresponsive, and constantly at 100% in task manager. It still works, but is just slow. Opening folders can take a long time, programs take minutes to start, steam games don't start at all, just go to background. Lightroom usually won't show any photos on the drive, or if it does it takes ~30 s to switch between them. After a full reboot it works fine. It mainly has media, games and some apps. Win 10 and the main apps are on an SSD.

Here are some crystaldisk mark runs after fresh boot and hibernate.

Fresh boot:

After resume from hibernate

WTF? I've run it with different settings and it's all in the same ballpark. Crystaldisk diagnostics/SMART says the disc is fine.

I've changed the SATA port. Disabled Win 10 antivirus, index and pre-fetch. I'm at my wits end. I can't figure out what's going on. PC was built with all new parts in July. Not 100% sure this issue was always there, really started noticing it about a month in.

Actually, now that I think about it I only got the GPU (Rx 470) installed in August. Could that have anything to do with it? I'll have to unplug it and see what happens.

specs:
i5 - 6600K (no OC now)
2x8 GB RAM
Fractal mini case, good cooling.

This is the drive, Toshiba P300. 3TB.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149633
Mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157675
PSU, 550 W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139144

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That's a 3TB, 7200RPM drive, isn't it?

It seems like it's "walking wounded". Even you fresh boot scores should be 100MB+/sec sequentials.

Something is VERY wrong here.

How many / what AntiVirus do you have installed? Tried un-installing it?

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
That's a 3TB, 7200RPM drive, isn't it?

It seems like it's "walking wounded". Even you fresh boot scores should be 100MB+/sec sequentials.

Something is VERY wrong here.

How many / what AntiVirus do you have installed? Tried un-installing it?
Correct, 3TB 7200. Yes it does seem slow.

I only have the AV built into win 10, and I disabled it. Per post above I'll look into drivers.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
nvm (misread OP), I may revisit this later.

- edit - I would still look at the processes tab in Task Manager, sort by disk usage and see what's going on there, as I think there's a reasonable chance that even if the main disk isn't the problematic one, that something ought to show up on the processes tab as using a lot of disk time.

If the problematic process is a Windows service, double-click on it and list the services running in that process.

'crystaldisk diagnostics' - does that provide SMART readings? I know CrystalDiskInfo, they may be part of the same software suite or something.

I would also check event viewer (Start > Run > eventvwr), either going into custom logs > administrative events, or windows logs > system and look for errors/warnings in there. A disk issue might show up in a few different ways:

iaStor errors/warnings, mentioning some kind of error
ntfs errors/warnings, ditto
disk warnings, ditto

Still, a non-boot disk having problems after a resume is a bit odd. I could see a more obvious chain of logic if it was the boot disk as a fair bit of activity ensues after a resume, but an extra disk shouldn't get much activity unless maybe it has a pagefile on it? Might be worth checking for that. Are there any programs running all the time that talk to the disk in question, even a little? IIRC some Adobe products have an indexing service for cataloguing your photos.

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Resuming a computer with 16 GB of RAM from hiberfil.sys on a platter drive can take a while. How much time are you giving it? Or, better yet, run a timer from resume to normal activity and see how long it takes (and don't do anything after it resumes). Trying to run apps before hiberfil dumps back into memory is only going to make the process take longer.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
nvm (misread OP), I may revisit this later.

- edit - I would still look at the processes tab in Task Manager, sort by disk usage and see what's going on there, as I think there's a reasonable chance that even if the main disk isn't the problematic one, that something ought to show up on the processes tab as using a lot of disk time.

If the problematic process is a Windows service, double-click on it and list the services running in that process.

'crystaldisk diagnostics' - does that provide SMART readings? I know CrystalDiskInfo, they may be part of the same software suite or something.

I would also check event viewer (Start > Run > eventvwr), either going into custom logs > administrative events, or windows logs > system and look for errors/warnings in there. A disk issue might show up in a few different ways:

iaStor errors/warnings, mentioning some kind of error
ntfs errors/warnings, ditto
disk warnings, ditto

Still, a non-boot disk having problems after a resume is a bit odd. I could see a more obvious chain of logic if it was the boot disk as a fair bit of activity ensues after a resume, but an extra disk shouldn't get much activity unless maybe it has a pagefile on it? Might be worth checking for that. Are there any programs running all the time that talk to the disk in question, even a little? IIRC some Adobe products have an indexing service for cataloguing your photos.

Thanks to everyone!

Task manager show some disc activity, but nothing outrageous. Similarly in the resource monitor show lightroom, steam, or system doing some I/O every now and then, but nothing that should max the disc. Yet it seems bottle-necked somehow. As if I/O speed and capacity is severely lowered. But if the disc was failing I would think this would happen at all times right, not just after hibernate? That's why this is so weird.

Yes, I mean CrystalDiskInfo. I have that and the bechmark tool from same people. SMART show no issues.

Your event viewer tip was interesting! I found some errors for "disk". This:
"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2."

Also one for hadrdisk3, but I only have two..

Right now couple things to try, in order of PIA-ness:
- Reinstall Intel Rapidstore drivers.
- Unplug GPU. Just because it seems to coincide with the trouble starting. Though I have a hard time seeing why
- Install a linux partition and benchmark the disc? Not sure how valuable, but could lead to:
- Full windows reinstall.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
For controller errors, that is usually a cable issue, so you might want to try different SATA cables.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
\device\harddisk0 is the boot disk, then 1, then 2 etc. external storage (including flash drives) can show up in this way in the event log.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
Did some troubleshooting last night, but nothing seemed to help.
- swapped SATA cable
- rolled back AHCI drivers, then reinstalled Intel drivers
- removed GPU
- switched to different SATA power on PSU.

Every time I rebooted and ran CrystalDiskMark. Every time I got ~50 MB/s read/write. I did not test hibernate/resume though to save time. I don't want to live with an HDD I only get 50 MB/s from anyway. I ran a test on the server HDD and got 120+ MB/s. A slow storage drive over the network is faster than my internal drive! Also tested the SSD and got ~500+ MB/s (so I think it's not an issue with my Mobo/controller/ports?)

At this point I'm thinking I'll open an issue with Thosiba and see if I can get it replaced. Some PIA to image and copy data, but don't know what else to do. I have my old 1 TB disk which I can plug in and test as the last option to see if it's something wrong with my system. But to me it really looks like I have some sort of geriatric drive on my hands.

I reset my OC in Bios, but is there some other HDD setting there that could cause issues?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, 50MB/sec seq. read on a modern HDD, is bad news. Something is wrong. (It should be around 80-120MB/sec, or higher if at the beginning of the disk.)

cursed333

Nov 11, 2016
Hey, I've the very same problem with my Toshiba P300 Performance hdd, although its 1TB version. I've scoured the net looking for help or answers, but you're the very first person that appears to have the same problem. We're running on the same boat, my disk gets ~60MB's tops at benchmarks, iv'e tried reinstalling the driver, swapping sata cables/ports, formatting the drive - nothing helped. Im strongly considering just running a warranty here, so it would be nice to know if you managed to solve the problem, thanks in advance!

(my setup:
w10 anniversary update
i5-6600,
16gb ram
gtx 1070
msi b150 mortar
240gb ssd <-os disk and a faulty p300 1tb that was meant for storage..)

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Interesting similarity. I've got a few BNIB Toshiba P300 1TB drives (in the red box). Opened one and put it into a system. Don't think that I benchmarked it or tried to hibernate. Maybe I should test that rig. Maybe this is more widespread than we think? Or maybe a few of those drives got damaged in transit?

I just ordered ten 500GB WD Green AV-GP drives from a China seller (US Warehouse, I got fooled), and the first one I tried, was garbage, but the second one is OK. I'll try to benchmark it after it finishes with the NTFS full format. (One of my standard diagnostic tools.)

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hey, I've the very same problem with my Toshiba P300 Performance hdd, although its 1TB version. I've scoured the net looking for help or answers, but you're the very first person that appears to have the same problem. We're running on the same boat, my disk gets ~60MB's tops at benchmarks, iv'e tried reinstalling the driver, swapping sata cables/ports, formatting the drive - nothing helped. Im strongly considering just running a warranty here, so it would be nice to know if you managed to solve the problem, thanks in advance!

(my setup:
w10 anniversary update
i5-6600,
16gb ram
gtx 1070
msi b150 mortar
240gb ssd <-os disk and a faulty p300 1tb that was meant for storage..)

Yes I've had trouble finding anyone else with the same problem. I can report I don't think it's the Toshiba drive. I did the RMA process on the Toshiba site and got a return label and bought another HGST 3TB (Deskstar NAS) drive to replace it. The HGST drive has the same issue! Benchmark ~60 seq. After hibernate i get 5-10 MB/s. This is with just plugging it in and formatting, haven't put anything on it. Also installed the intel Rapidstore drivers from the intel site, rather than ASrock. These were newer (v15.2.0.1020.), but still the same behavior.

I plugged in a 5 year old 1TB drive and this does not happen. In fact that drive is faster than my brand new 3TB drive! The 250 GB SSD also show no difference after hibernate. So it's only an issue with 2TB+ drives? Why would this be?

At this point I'm seriously out of options. I think I just have to do a full fresh reinstall of windows and see if that helps.

Last edited:

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
Closer to the answer to this mystery. Did Linux liveUSB and HDD test showed 150+ MB/s. Started windows 10 in safe mode and also 150+MB/s. So definitley something wrong with the full windows install or drivers or something. I switched AHCI drivers from Intel rapidstore to generic MS ones but no difference. So something else is the issue. I've been disabling things in msconfig trying to find it without any luck so far. Wondering if a reinstall, or at least a repair is easier.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
Just to finalize this for posterity, in case someone else has the same problem in the future.

I narrowed down the issue enough to fix it. Disabling three MSI services in msconfig my specs in CrystalDisk Mark jumped from ~50MB/s to 160+MB/s. It also works after resuming from hibernate!
Services were something like:
MSI gamingApp_service
MSI gamingHotkey_service
MSI ActiveX_service

So far I'm too lazy to figure out which of the three might be the culprit. So I was right it started with my (MSI) GPU, but it was the services not the card itself. Glad I don't have to wipe my PC, but I'm out a new 3TB disk. Could return it but doesn't feel right since it was my stupidity getting it. Might just go into the media server.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Thanks for posting the solution!

BTW, wasn't it MSI that had to pull their KBL BIOS updates for their 1151 boards, because of performance regressions with storage, specifically with M.2 PCI-E drives.

I wonder if the same programming issue affected both pieces of code?