HBO's Game of Thrones season 6 discussion thread- airing 4/24/16 (No book spoilers)

Page 125 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
If such a thing existed in reality, it would probably be a process of mixing volatile chemicals (like the bombardier beetle).

A dragon breathing fire isn't all that hard to explain. Lots of critters spew lots of noxious substances and a lot of noxious things combust when they hit air. The fire breathing is a lot closer to being real and a lot easier to believe than the fact that a dragon that size can fly.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
A dragon breathing fire isn't all that hard to explain. Lots of critters spew lots of noxious substances and a lot of noxious things combust when they hit air. The fire breathing is a lot closer to being real and a lot easier to believe than the fact that a dragon that size can fly.
...and imagine how much they have to eat for that metabolism AFTER they’ve stowed so much of their calories away as energy-dense hypergolic fuel!

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
The MacGuffin would be the 10 years+ lurker coming out of hiding to magically defend the honor of the dishonorable Jedi. :D

It's not my fault you said something stupid. Man up and own it and apologize for being a giant asshat. You didn't know what red herring meant, Jedi did. If you have a problem with a "dishonarable Jedi" being smarter than you it's entirely self-inflicted. The end.

You clearly don't know what a MacGuffin is either because you used that 100% wrong too. Let me explain so that Jedi doesn't have to school you on that too and hurt your delicate little feelings even further. A MacGuffin is a plot device where something is set up as being important, perhaps even critical to the story and turns out to be nothing. In the case of GOT, pretty much everything that happened in the first seven seasons was a Macguffin. Jamie's redemption arc, Arya's face changing, Jon being a real Targaryen, all of Dorne and the south, warging, the Iron Throne, the murder of Jon Arryn, Sandors revenge on undead Gregor, the Iron Islanders, etc etc etc. Even the freaking Night King was a lot of ado about nothing. All things that were set up as being important plot devices to hopefully come to fruition in the end were completely abandoned by the producers when they fell in love with playing with their CGI dragons. You could have trimmed out 1/2 of the storylines and it would not have changed the ending in any way. THAT'S a MacGuffin.

Reactions: JEDI

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
It's not my fault you said something stupid. Man up and own it and apologize for being a giant asshat. You didn't know what red herring meant, Jedi did. If you have a problem with a "dishonarable Jedi" being smarter than you it's entirely self-inflicted. The end.

You clearly don't know what a MacGuffin is either because you used that 100% wrong too. Let me explain so that Jedi doesn't have to school you on that too and hurt your delicate little feelings even further. A MacGuffin is a plot device where something is set up as being important, perhaps even critical to the story and turns out to be nothing. In the case of GOT, pretty much everything that happened in the first seven seasons was a Macguffin. Jamie's redemption arc, Arya's face changing, Jon being a real Targaryen, all of Dorne and the south, warging, the Iron Throne, the murder of Jon Arryn, Sandors revenge on undead Gregor, the Iron Islanders, etc etc etc. Even the freaking Night King was a lot of ado about nothing. All things that were set up as being important plot devices to hopefully come to fruition in the end were completely abandoned by the producers when they fell in love with playing with their CGI dragons. You could have trimmed out 1/2 of the storylines and it would not have changed the ending in any way. THAT'S a MacGuffin.

What's the difference between your MacGuffin and other character's story arcs?

Also, a MacGuffin is a object that everyone is chasing after to kick off the plot. It's whole point is to start things, and normally doesn't matter one way or the other to the ending. I'm not sure where your definition comes from. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008

MacGuffin is a reference to the “MacGuffin Diamond“ from an old movie where it got everyone together and was summarily disregarded.

In my film writing class this was likened to the Death Star plans. In ep 4

From Wikipedia:

“In fiction, a MacGuffin (sometimes McGuffin) is a plot device in the form of some goal, desired object, or other motivator that the protagonist pursues, often with little or no narrative explanation. The MacGuffin's importance to the plot is not the object itself, but rather its effect on the characters and their motivations.

The MacGuffin technique is common in films, especially thrillers. Usually, the MacGuffin is revealed in the first act, and thereafter declines in importance. It can reappear at the climax of the story but may actually be forgotten by the end of the story. Multiple MacGuffins are sometimes derisively identified as plot coupons”

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
D8qBufqXkAEMCL2

D77rbm1XUAUsR2v

D8rGYtPXYAA1o4F

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
For those that are interested in people explaining what happened because they failed in execution, the show runners explain why Drogon melted the Iron Throne Apparently the answer was in the script, cause people who watch shows have the scripts on the side of the screen..

View attachment 9057

Have you seen the other great things to come out of that scripts? D&D should be embarrassed with releasing that. It's just horrible. /r/freefolk have been given all new fuel.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Have you seen the other great things to come out of that scripts? D&D should be embarrassed with releasing that. It's just horrible. /r/freefolk have been given all new fuel.

I saw some of it. I did scratch my head and wondered if they thought they were writing a book. I'm not sure how many scripts put plot points as notes rather than stuff that will be actually shot.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Just finished watching all seasons of Game of Thrones.

The ending was ok but not great still not bad.

My favorite episode on the last season was episode 3 with the battle of the dead and the night king!

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Just finished watching all seasons of Game of Thrones.

The ending was ok but not great still not bad.

My favorite episode on the last season was episode 3 with the battle of the dead and the night king!

Ironically, that was about the worst (at the very least anticlimactic) episode of the entire series.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Came across this fan edit to make Season 8 better.
it explains why Dani went Mad Queen when Cersai surrendered and the bells rang.
ie: Dragon doesnt die from Euron's attack

game-of-thrones-rhaegal-death-kings-landing-siege.jpg

-----------

Another fan combined Seasons 7 + 8 into 9 episodes.
i'm trying to download it now

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Squirrel
Jun 18, 2000
People are still mad about Daenerys? She was batshit crazy since the beginning. Her advisors were constantly stopping her from murdering her way to the top. Anybody shocked about her losing her shit at the end simply wasn't paying attention.

Though yes the night king battle was stupidly edited and dark.

Reactions: zinfamous

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
People are still mad about Daenerys? She was batshit crazy since the beginning. Her advisors were constantly stopping her from murdering her way to the top. Anybody shocked about her losing her shit at the end simply wasn't paying attention.

Yeah, but she only did that to bad people. As countless years of Hollywood has shown us, we don't count things done to bad people.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
The episode with eat every chicken and the murder pony, was the peak of the series IMO.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005

Of all the things they fucked up in the last season Dany going full psycho was about #127 on the list of the most egregious.

She was NOT batshit crazy from the beginning. She had some violent tendencies toward people who had it coming and worked very hard to protect the innocent. And all through the entire series she was portrayed the same way, little glimpses of what she *could* become tempered with a lot of good. The light side Dany was in complete control and the dark side Dany was only used against the bad people. It wasn't that she lost her shit at the end, the part that pissed off the people who were paying attention is how abruptly and completely she lost her shit. She went from 95% good Dany and 5% dark Dany to 125% dark Dany like flipping a light switch. I believe GRRM wanted that to happen in stages and it was just another of the 1000 important plotlines that got completely swept under the rug when the showrunners fell in love with their CGI dragons and ignored EVERYTHING ELSE.

Reactions: beginner99

thetechfreak

Jun 11, 2012
After this shit show D&D should be black balled from the industry.
They got their Star Wars Trilogy contract removed. That was a billion dollar franchise that could've been even run into the ground even worse.

Sent from my vivo 1807 using Tapatalk