HBO Documentary "Hacking Democracy" on TODAY

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Darkhawk28

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy

I can't think of a single person on this board (left/right R/D) who has supported paperless balloting. I've rolled my eyes at the conspiracy theories but I've always said that a paperless system is asking for trouble.

It sucks that I'm at work. I have to change the TVs over to the Louiville/WV game when customers come in. I'm missing it.

With it being possible to hack the memory cards and the executable software, would it not be possible to simply have the printout show whatever he voter just selected, while incorrectly incrementing the total vote count?

Someone in an older countered the idea of a paper trail with this kind of argument, that if we can't be sure that the electronic system itself is secure, a paper trail won't do much good. Doing a recount would require that everyone turn their papers back in.

I was referring to paper ballots where the voter manually marks their selection. The idea of getting a reciept is kind of silly for the reasons you just cited. And the idea of running a tape is equally problematic if the machine malfunctioned or was hacked. (To be honest I'm more worried about the machine crashing and losing its vote tally than I am about hackers - but it's possible)

Scanning paper ballots is the best solution. If there are any irregulrities or if a recount is needed you still have the original ballots available for manual verification.

Well, optical scan machines can be hacked as well to produce to predetermined outcome as well. I used to think paper ballot scan optically would be best, but not anymore. Some would argue that you can detect a problem if there were a recount, but many office holders don't have the money for a full blown recount of all ballots if the results fell outside the states' mandatory recount margins.

At this point, we need to shut down schools and some federal buildings and do manually hand counting with public observation.

I think, right now, with technology the way it is and the technological inexperience with computers that our election officials have, it leaves WAY to many ways to skirt their observation and internal auditing.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Maybe we should go back to something mechanical, with easily readable and verifiable output counts. Something like a glorified version of this. :)

That way you can look at the count to see that it has correctly increased.

Originally posted by: Bowfinger
Bump. On again this morning on HBO: 9:00 a.m. EST, 6:00 a.m. Pacific. On again on HBO West, noon Eastern, 9:00 a.m. Pacific.

Dammitall, missed it again. (Who gets up at 9am on Sundays?)

Anyone have an estimate on how big the file is from Google Video? I'm at a univeristy campus, and our weekly bandwidth allotment is only 2GB. I know it won't take up all of that, but it could still eat up a substantial block. I am curious as to just how substantial it will be.

imported_Aelius

Golden Member
Apr 25, 2004
Maybe we should go back to something mechanical, with easily readable and verifiable output counts. Something like a glorified version of this. :)

That way you can look at the count to see that it has correctly increased.

Bump. On again this morning on HBO: 9:00 a.m. EST, 6:00 a.m. Pacific. On again on HBO West, noon Eastern, 9:00 a.m. Pacific.

Dammitall, missed it again. (Who gets up at 9am on Sundays?)

Anyone have an estimate on how big the file is from Google Video? I'm at a univeristy campus, and our weekly bandwidth allotment is only 2GB. I know it won't take up all of that, but it could still eat up a substantial block. I am curious as to just how substantial it will be.

Not very. My top download is about 350k a sec and it took aprox 10min to be able to fully view any hour and a half long film on google.

Google has some sort of compression on the video and hence the quality is fairly poor but the size is very small compared to a 700MB file that you would need for a TV type resolution.

imported_Aelius

Golden Member
Apr 25, 2004
Originally posted by: conjur

Now on Google Video

As far as government goes what I found to be outright criminal is the actions, and staff, of Deanie Lowe Supervisor of elections, Volusia Co. Florida.

She appears as any other management type person you would expect to run into in government. Nice, curtious blah blah blah. Also, like many management type staff, they are two faced.

As soon as she was confronted with the actions of her staff in comitting a federal crime the look on her face was like pure stone.

The second was the actions of the staff during the Ohio recount.

What people have to understand is that these people do not make such decisions at the local level. Not at the scale we are talking about.

As much of a cliche the word "conspiracy" has become on this forum that's exactly what appears to have occured at multiple locations. Ohio and Florida. We know this only because it was on tape and these people happend to be there. If this occured in these two locations then I have to ask how many other locations does this occur at? We know we cannot trust the equipment. Now it appears we cannot trust some of the staff running the elections and recounts.

conspiracy n. when people work together by agreement to commit an illegal act. A conspiracy may exist when the parties use legal means to accomplish an illegal result, or to use illegal means to achieve something that in itself is lawful. To prove a conspiracy those involved must have agreed to the plan before all the actions have been taken, or it is just a series of independent illegal acts. A conspiracy can be criminal for planning and carrying out illegal activities, or give rise to a civil lawsuit for damages by someone injured by the conspiracy. Thus, a scheme by a group of salesmen to sell used automobiles as new, could be prosecuted as a crime of fraud and conspiracy, and also allow a purchaser of an auto to sue for damages for the fraud and conspiracy.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Holy crap, I can see why Diebold doesn't want this on the air. There's no reason why anyone should ever be allowed to purchase something from Diebold for an election.

This thread should be a sticky.

imported_Aelius

Golden Member
Apr 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Tab
Holy crap, I can see why Diebold doesn't want this on the air. There's no reason why anyone should ever be allowed to purchase something from Diebold for an election.

This thread should be a sticky.

Apparently we are getting a whoe whack of touch screen voting systems here in Canada. I'm not sure how wide spread it is. I have barely seen it mentioned in the media.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Thanks for the complete schedule, Bowfinger.
:thumbsup:

My PVR card shall be at the ready.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I recall during the last Election how people were aghast at the idea of Foreign Observers in Florida, some were downright insulted by the idea. It seems that the US certainly could use such oversight, especially where these closed electronic systems are conncerned. There's just too much widespread Partisanship to trust that everything is as stated in the PR.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Tab
Holy crap, I can see why Diebold doesn't want this on the air. There's no reason why anyone should ever be allowed to purchase something from Diebold for an election. ...
Yes, between that and the Ars Technica article, it seems like Diebold hits new lows in in IT systems (in)security. It can barely be explained away as abject incompetence. It's almost as if they designed the systems to be compromised. All they're missing (as someone else commented) is a big yellow "Hack Me" button on the back.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I find myself wishing that someone DOES plant this Princeton virus, and just set it to set ALL the votes to the highest value that the machine can handle. Or even something stupid, like an alphabetic character, or special character, 8 might be good. Doing so would not steal the election, but would tell the government what they already know - that these machines were not designed with security or accuracy in mind.
Doing that would be better than the alternative - taking baseball bats to every one of these atrocities as a way of saying "Stop screwing with the voting system."
The system was already broken. Now it seems that they're trying to make it so that it can be subverted, instead of fixing it.

From the Ars Technica article:
"And if those machines are networked wirelessly(!!), then a fraudster with a laptop and a wireless card in a car outside the precinct building could conceivably have his way with all of the votes in the building."

Some of these machines can actually run wireless network hardware????

The article just seems to get worse and worse. It looks like NOTHING important is encrypted on these machines or the servers.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
This is on several times tomorrow (Tuesday) for those who haven't seen it. Also available on-line (see links above). Eye-opening, especially for the average person who hasn't seen the various articles and exposes in the technical press. Perhaps this will raise awareness enough to get the MSM to start investigating.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
This is on several times tomorrow (Tuesday) for those who haven't seen it. Also available on-line (see links above). Eye-opening, especially for the average person who hasn't seen the various articles and exposes in the technical press. Perhaps this will raise awareness enough to get the MSM to start investigating.

Start investigating? Sounds like the investigating has been done already. What it needs is exposure in the mainstream media.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

Start investigating? Sounds like the investigating has been done already. What it needs is exposure in the mainstream media.
True enough. We already have a good start on investigating the issue. I'm sure there's much more waiting to be revealed.

Ldir

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2003
I just finished watching. It is frightening how easy it is to rig an election.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Curiously, one of the first complaints of problems with Diebold machines came from the same county in OH that was so 'eager' to give Diebold $22mil for new machines.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Watching it, finally.

Commentary as I watch:
The infomercial-style effects, complete with dreary music, B&W/slow-motion photography, is getting to me already. Is this really what they have to do to get anyone to watch this kind of thing?

Loud rockin' guitar music. Grrrreaaat.:roll:
:music:
Somethin's broken
In the promised land:music:

It'd be nice if the woman in charge of this thing actually had any mad computer skillz. Release notes as a legal document? I don't know about that.

I'm sorry to say it, but Dr Hugh Thompson has one of the most irritating speech styles I've ever heard. Yes, he has a PhD, he may be extremely intelligent, but I would likely go insane if I had to listen to him for a long time.

Apparently it was raining in the ENTIRE COUNTRY when they were showing people waiting in lines to vote.

Overall, good information in the show. I don't care for the presentation of it, but then, I usually prefer a bland textbook-style presentation - just the information, no "marketing" of it.